• Meh
  • Piratey
  • Poorly
  • Sad
  • Secret
  • Shy
  • Sneaky
  • Tired

Thread: What is the optimum amount of weekly water change?

Tommygug is offline Senior Member
      is Happily Retired!!!

Feeling:
      ----

What is the optimum amount of weekly water change?

After reading several threads regarding water changes, I wonder how much water should we change weekly in order to achieve better water quality? I thought 10 percent is too low but I am thinking 25 percent may be the ticket. Any thoughts on the subject?

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

jimfish98 is offline Supporting Member
      is not losing sleep over the
      opinion of sheep

Feeling:
      ----

I think there are a lot of factors to it IMHO. Pond size, stocking density, feeding rate, etc. I have a high stocking density, so I do roughly 50% weekly. During the winter when feeding rates drop off, I do roughly 25%. This is on a smaller pond though. I would not see myself doing weekly 50% changes if I had a 10,000g pond.

Diamond Lifetime Member #95!
      Just because its not a Great Koi doesn't mean its not a Great Koi...Me circa 2013

RickF is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

That is a question that has no right answer. Each pond is different, and in general, the smaller the pond and the higher the stocking density, then the larger the water changes should be. Other things that might have an effect are whether you have a foam fractionator, trickle tower, or bog filter.

On average, 20% per week is a good starting point, but if you have fewer than one koi per 750 gallons, 10% is probably enough, and if you have more than 1 koi per 500 gallons, 20% is not going to be enough.

Water changes do three things for the pond: remove DOC, remove nitrate, and restore trace elements. Foam fractionators can remove DOC, bog filters and trickle towers reduce nitrate formation by removing ammonia through alternate paths, and some of the trace elements can be added through the food, but none of those methods completely solve the problems, so some water change is still necessary.

fishin4cars is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Jim, I agree. It depends on many factors and one is stocking level to how much food is being processed to waste. I average aprox 5-7% daily but I do flow through and then when flushing sieves and such add to the total amount exchanged out. Another major contributing factor IMO is not so much how much is being fed but how much is being produced as waste. I've most definitely seen improvement in water quality and clarity since I changed to higher grades of food. Stayed with the same amount of water changes and increased amount of food being fed but see a substantial decrease in waste caught and removed.

cindy is offline Administrator
      is Loving retirement

Feeling:
      Happy

Mt. Wash. KY - 7 miles outside Louisville
      I open my Skippy filter several times a week so at least 15%

MikeM is offline Super Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

"Optimal" would be however much keeps the pond parameters the same as the source water, with 'optimal' frequency being however frequently is needed to avoid significant fluctuations in the water parameters. All of which is why 'optimal' is a continuous in-flow of source water (dechlorinated, of course). 10-15% per day works well in practice, but does use a lot of water.

I do about 35-40% per week without affecting pH more than about 0.25.

UnkleTim is offline Senior Member
      is most excellent

Feeling:
      ----

My pond is 10,000 gallons including filtration. I do water change weekly which consists of draining my 1200 gallon polytank settling chamber. The water is pumped around my backyard while doing so. My willow tree just loves it. I have had no major issues in the 8 years the pond has been up.

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007