• Tired
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Baby Ginger

CraigP is offline Senior Member
      is Needing No Insane Clown Posse

Feeling:
      Amused

Baby Ginger

I did a test dig on mine today to see how it was progressing and it looks sweet! There should be a bunch ready when the farmer's market opens again in October. This chunk weighed just over 8 oz so I used the mandoline to slice it to make crystallized ginger. It doesn't need to be peeled like the ginger hands you get in the store and cuts like butter...not a single fiber in it.

It is drying now and I am curious to see what 8 oz of root converts to in the candied form.
      Attached Images Attached Images   
      Truth is not what you want it to be; it is what it is. And you must bend to its power or live a lie.”― Miyamoto Musashi

"Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens." ~ Jimi Hendrix

“The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.”― Stephen Hawking

Craig

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

gander is offline Supporting Member ~ WWKC BOD ~ 2018 KPOTY
      is birds flying high you know how
      I feel

Feeling:
      Awesome

looks pretty and clean
      "most men lead lives of quiet desperation and go to the grave with the song
      still in them."
      I wish I could sing

Koiphen 2018 Koi Person of the Year!

OK.TN.

SueSTx is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

pretty
      RedNecks R Us

gander is offline Supporting Member ~ WWKC BOD ~ 2018 KPOTY
      is birds flying high you know how
      I feel

Feeling:
      Awesome

I am cooking lunch and needed some ginger. I had bought a jar of minced ginger at the store about a month ago. Well i have used it and it was in the fridge and the whole top was covered in mold. I thought it would last like the minced garlic I buy but I guess not.
      "most men lead lives of quiet desperation and go to the grave with the song
      still in them."
      I wish I could sing

Koiphen 2018 Koi Person of the Year!

OK.TN.

DarleneD is offline Supporting Member
      is crocheting

Feeling:
      Meh

I don't know if you're supposed to do this, but I keep a ginger root wrapped up and in my freezer. When I need some, I just use my tiny grater for however much I need. It seems to taste the same as fresh ginger.

BarbJ is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

That looks really nice! I adore crystallized ginger! I also love pickled ginger. When we get sushi, I always finish everyone's ginger that they leave. I'm drooling here!
      Wish my growing season was long enough. I've tried twice with both ginger and lemon grass and it's just a little too cold here.

I think that's a good way to keep it, Darlene!
      Regards,BarbJ
      Come on by and visit both club's websites!

Click for Cupertino, California Forecast

Feeling:
      Amused

I have never used mince ginger, but Darlene is right, it freezes just fine. I sent some of the baby ginger to a daughter that likes spicy food and asked for her opinion. She had never seen or heard of it, but loved. I had suggested it my be a little less pungent than the mature hands, but she claims it was actually more flavorful than what she had been getting at Trader Joe's. She absolutely loved the fact that it didn't need to be peeled and has no fibers to fight.

You might need to consider BarbJ....if you have three months or so with warm days and warmish nights, baby ginger is ready to harvest in three to four months. The mature hands take in the neighborhood of ten months and I can see that would be difficult for most. I 've been planting it since late Feb and stopped the first of August....I am hoping for an extended season with some baby and some mature. < g >
      Truth is not what you want it to be; it is what it is. And you must bend to its power or live a lie.”― Miyamoto Musashi

“The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.”― Stephen Hawking

Craig

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Thanks for the info. The warm nights might be the problem. We get up in the 80's and 90's most of the summer, but the night temps often drop into the 60's to 70's at night. It makes it nice for people to live here, but I think it's tough on true tropicals. We can grow the hardy gingers, but do the edible kind needs warmer temps than that?
      I may try it again next year, and just harvest it before frost. Thanks again!
      Regards,BarbJ

Shadow99 is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Wow, that looks great!!!

Mine is not doing much, not enough heat this summer I suspect. Oh well the tomatoes and cukes are making up for it!

Stacy

Feeling:
      Amused

Baby ginger is just Asian ginger ( Zingiber officinale ) that is harvested at 3 to 4 months rather than after 10 months. I think the nights need to be over sixty during that time and days in the 80 to 90 range should be fine...they like humidity though and I have no idea if you get that. Turmeric ( Curcuma longa ) is the most heat loving of the edible types I grow...I hear tell it doesn't like temps below 65 and it needs the full ten months to produce.

Craig

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Our air is pretty dry in the summer, so that's a count against success. And usually at least one night a week, often more can get down to 60*f in the summer, so count # 2. If I lived more inland, the central valley stays pretty warm at night, though it's rather dry too, at least they get the heat.
      Wish someone would grow it there in the inland valley and sell it to the grocery stores. We have a very large population of Asian folk here, especially from southeast Asia. I'm sure it would sell really well!

Oh well, at least I can grow lots of citrus and avocados! Thanks for the info!
      Regards,BarbJ

Shadow99 is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Yeah my tumeric attempts have been --a big ole fail. I figured it was a heat thing. We run about a high of 75-80 here this summer. Our temps sound like they are borderline fine for other varieties, and we have had a very wet summer. Sounds like their needs are close enough to what I can provide that I should try them in a few different spots in the garden next year to see if I can find a spot they like.

Thanks Craig.

Stacy

Feeling:
      Amused

I use a heat mat to pre-sprout mine, so that gives me a good jump on the season. If you like banana/Canna plants...you'd like turmeric, it is quite similar in appearance. The bonus is it has an attractive flower and when it goes dormant you can eat the roots.< g >

Another ginger I am trying is Chinese fingerroot, Boesenbergia rotunda. It has a nice flower, but mine has yet to bloom. It is the picture top right and is much smaller than the turmeric. The turmeric is pushing 5' the fingerroot may 18".
      Attached Images Attached Images    

Craig

SueSTx is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Ahh...that is a nice flower
      RedNecks R Us

Sean's Ponds is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

I imported two turmeric roots from India last year and they grew well in a pot but I forgot to bring them in to dry for storage over winter and lost them. Finding fresh turmeric around here is difficult, most of it is old and wrinkly and will not start up well.
      I am growing an Elizabeth ornamental ginger that survives our Zone 8B clime quite well.
      (Not my Photo, for reference only)

I have been making Kombucha (fermented sweet tea) full of probiotics and tend to use crystallized ginger as a flavoring agent in the second ferment. I should actually just grow my own as well.

Cheers,
      Sean
      .......Click my Gif's.......

Feeling:
      Amused

I lucked out last year stumbling onto the organic grower in HI; his policy is to sell to first fill orders for the previous years customers, so I have already contacted him about this years crop. It'll be next spring before I get that, but if you are just looking for a couple rhizomes of turmeric and ginger, I will start harvesting come this fall. I get it as ginger/turmeric 'seed', I wonder of Ag Canada considers it to be seed?

I suspect you'd have no trouble with the baby ginger. Your heated pond ought to give you a good head start.

Craig

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

When I got the turmeric from India, the customs declaration said Curcuma longa (Turmeric 'Seed')
      There was a customs clearance notification on it and they still allowed it through. At the time I had also ordered seed of Thunbergia Grandiflora (blue flower) and Musa sikkimensis (red Tiger banana).

I assume if the botanical name and the word seed are attached it is allowed through.

Cheers,
      Sean

Feeling:
      Amused

Great! This guy is professional and not a fly-by-nighter, so I get all the necessary docs required to send across state lines and a certification it is organic in origin...and it is always listed as "seed".

I don't know how interested in ginger you are, but he sent me the standard Hawaiian red ginger as well as Indira yellow. He has the white or mango ginger ( Curcuma mangaa) as well, I hope to get this year. There is also Black Turmeric Cucurma caesia and Kaichai Dom (Kaempferia parviflora), but those are more medicinal than culinary.

Also...I have a blue form of the Asian he calls Brother Bubba Blue. So just let me know what, if anything, catches your fancy/

It's all fun stuff and I am loving the kombucha, my problem is with regulating the fermentation temp....I don't use AC and I just looked and it is 98 F outside, so I keep gallon jars in heavy styro I can add ice packs to keep the temp to about 80 F < g >

Craig

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Found some local fresh Turmeric so will plant some in a pot that I can bring in for winter as a house plant. I am trying a root beer recipe and grated in some turmeric with the Kombucha. I will see how it tastes after the second ferment.

Cheers,
      Sean

Feeling:
      Amused

I am impatiently waiting for my turmeric to bloom and the Chinese Fingerroot ( Boesenbergia rotunda ) to be ready....I read good things about it, but have yet to try it. I did a second fermentation with fresh ginger and aji limon and was really pleased with what I got.

Craig

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast