• Sneaky
  • Tired

Thread: Central Texas pond builder wanted

4everKoi is offline Junior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Central Texas pond builder wanted

I'm looking into building a koi pond. Does anyone know of a builder in central Texas that knows what they're doing?
      I'm thinking, a raised formal pond around 10k gallons

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

Goki56 is offline Administrator ~ WWKC BOD ~ WWKC Secretary ~ 2020 KPOTY
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      Friendly

Welcome to Koiphen!!!!

I'm going to move your thread to Main Forum, as I think it'll get more exposure there...
      Gordana

Koiphen 2020 Koi Person of the Year!

gatorkoi is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Central Texas as in the hill country or North of there. Im sure Austin has several landscaper contractors that specialize in ponds Just as the the Metroplex does. hold on to your pocket book! If able you can rent an excavator or any other equipment you need to do your own bild at typically a quarter the price or less than a contractor will charge. A contractor has overhead they must meet and ponds really are not that often of a request in big picture for a contractor so when they get a job for a pond they have to charge enough for their overhead and actually make money on material and labor. im not knocking contractors in anyway. most are honest and do great work.

when we moved to Ft. worth we had a new house built. I went out for bids to construct my pond per my design. Most of the quotes I got back were in the $15k-$20k range. I rented an ecavator and bought my materials ( filters and everything) and built to my plans for less than $4K. yes It was a lot of work, yes it required that I schedule equipment and material deliverys to keep on schedule. But for $11K-$16K savings I would do it the same again. I was 58 years old when I did the job. Just plan well, work smart and it is not that big of a task.
      Last edited by gatorkoi; 07-18-2014 at 12:22 PM.
      Warning! Koi trained to feed from dangling fingers.
      For your protection, bathing suits required when swimming with Koi
      ______

jbarret42 is offline Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Our budget is +/- 20k

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

You can get a nice one built for that.

Look on the web for water feature contractors in your area is my best lead. Im guessing Austin will be your best place to look
      ______

Spaun is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

I'd make sure not to use the guys that Rogerstigers did the first time. Here is the thread of his nightmare. https://www.koiphen.com/forums/showth...-is-being-made. I don't know how your knowledge of koi ponds is? But you should start researching everything so you know exactly what you want and exactly what you are getting from the contractor. Good luck please keep us posted. And Welcome to Koiphen...
      Click for Southgate, Michigan Forecast

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Very true, know what is required as far as filtration systems for the eventual fish load you want to carry. (do not under estimate) and water quantity prior to going out for bids. Most contractors are seldom really experienced in what is actually required based on fish load. Most only look at water volume. Some re quite experienced in Koi but most are more experienced in water gardens. Big difference in requirements!

Also let me suggest you build a two circuit system. So that if one circuit goes down, you still have one circuit operable. By this I mean two independent pump and filtration circuits
      Last edited by gatorkoi; 07-18-2014 at 01:34 PM.
      ______

Lunatoons is offline Supporting Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

I would recommend that you join the Texas Koi & Goldfish Society (www.texaskoi.com or is it org?) to talk to some really knowledgeable folks who can steer you to contractors that are reliable. Belonging to a club is absolutely invaluable when building, and knowledgeable once you have your pond and koi.
      Our club here in Dallas has a yahoo group, and I would post photos of the work in progress, and get advice if something was being done improperly...I'm so grateful for that help!
      Vicki

"Some of my best friends have scales!"

Member Dallas Koi Kichi Club (www.dallaskoikichi.org)
      Member North Texas Water Garden Society (www.ntwgs.org)

Always learning!
      6000 gallon liner pond
      Skimmer to 1/4 hp 2 speed pump to Bead filter to 4 jets,
      2-4" BD to SC to Nexus 300 to 1/4 hp Performance Pro Artesian pump to 2 S/G filters to waterfall

Click for Dallas, Texas Forecast

Jetmek is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

http://www.theponddiggersupplies.com/ This is a very good pond contractor out of CA., He has other contractors all over US. that he has trained. you might give him a call.

Doug

" If a cluttered desk is sign of a cluttered mind, of what, then is an empty desk a sign?"
      Albert Einstein

koiman1950 is offline Supporting Member
      is semi retired

Feeling:
      Tired

I second the suggestion about joining, or at least attending a couple of the Texas Koi Club meetings. Get acquainted with some of the more serious members who have "true" koi ponds and seek referrals for contractors that really know how to build a "true" koi pond. Discuss filtration based, as already suggested, on your fish load and what your desires are concerning the quality of fish you wish to keep and the size you wish to try to achieve.

As a contractor who specializes in "true" koi ponds, trust me, there is a significant difference between "water garden/feature landscape contractors who don't understand the requirements of a true koi pond design and you'll end up with something you will NOT be happy with. I can tell you this however. For a 10,000gal system, you won't be able to hire anybody worth their salt to build it for $20,000. But, you could have a really nice pond, around 5-6000gal, 10' x 16-20' x 5'deep for around that price. The difference in costs variances will be with the type of filtration you want/need, how you envision the "look" of the pond and the "finish" applied to raised walls, etc.
      Mike

check out our website at: http://www.pond-life.net

"Our goal is to assist with emergency and Koi health issues, as well as educate on best practices. Please help us gain a clear picture by giving the original poster time to answer our questions before offering opinions and suggested treatments."

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

ponyboy2442 is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

It's possible if you GC the job
      You buy the material and filters directly ask building supplies store for contractor discount
      And get a labor rate from the builder
      Prices vary state to state so I can't say if it is possible
      I know my pond less waterfall cost me almost $10,000 and I own the company

koiman1950 is offline Supporting Member
      is semi retired

Feeling:
      Tired

Quote Originally Posted by ponyboy2442 View Post
      It's possible if you GC the job
      You buy the material and filters directly ask building supplies store for contractor discount
      And get a labor rate from the builder
      Prices vary state to state so I can't say if it is possible
      I know my pond less waterfall cost me almost $10,000 and I own the company
      While this is "possible" to act as your own GC and sub out the work, asking for discounts as a "licensed" contractor doesn't always get you the discount on materials as you're not a "licensed" contractor. Big box stores won't do this unless you are and most supply houses want your license number, at least, before doing such.

As to contractors, most supply materials to you at "their cost" without added mark up for the materials. For filtration equipment and such, you won't get any discounts acting as your own GC for your personal project. As a contractor, some will and some won't work for an unlicensed individual acting as their own GC as you have no liability insurance other than a minimal amount in your home owner's policy and I sure wouldn't recommend going that route at all. Most contractors carry at least a $2mil total/$1mil aggregate policy to cover themselves and as the GC you would want to be added as a "named insured" on the other sub contractor's insurance. I don't believe you can be, as you have no insurance to cover you as the GC.

BTW, as a private party acting as your own GC on a personal project, you don't "own the company" as there is no company.
      Mike

check out our website at: http://www.pond-life.net

"Our goal is to assist with emergency and Koi health issues, as well as educate on best practices. Please help us gain a clear picture by giving the original poster time to answer our questions before offering opinions and suggested treatments."

ponyboy2442 is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Actually I'm an insured and licensed general contractor in NY and NJ keeping 14 people employed year round not the biggest company but we do ok
      Around here most stores are hurting for money and will give people discounts if asked it does bother me as a contractor but people are hurting for money
      Was just throwing an option out there
      I don't build true koi pond only water gardens with bottom drain and skimmers so I know the costs and if he does the research and finds a company willing to work with him it could be close
      But that's a big but

jonathan is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

My suggestion is simply look around. Many "koi" pond installers have no idea what they are doing, the only thing they want is your money. I know water garden gems is a great koi store you might wanna get in contact with them to see if they can be of assistance.
      Friends now and forever, across a great divide. Fish brought us together, but hearts of one mind keep us together. Joey S.

KoiDan is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Hill country water gardens is reputable in Cedar Park but they don't use bottom drains so.....

jrlaubin is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

look at Sacromento koi's web site..they have plans that you can view, the plans also show what is needed filter wise..It will show you what to expect from a good builder plumbing and filter wise..there are still landscapers out there who say all you need is a lavarock waterfall and a skimmer..not so. good luck

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007