• Meh
  • Piratey
  • Poorly
  • Sad
  • Secret
  • Shy
  • Sneaky
  • Tired

Thread: Great, TruGreen came Monday and now.....

Mild Bill is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      Crazy

Great, TruGreen came Monday and now.....

I can't see the bottom of the pond. They just applied fertilizer do the lawn so I didn't think too much about it. I read the receipt and it said there was a 13 mile an hour wind when they applied it so I would say some got into the pond and caused an algae bloom. Any thoughts.

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

Larsennet is offline Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

I'd do a big water change.

cindy is offline Administrator
      is Loving retirement

Feeling:
      Happy

Mt. Wash. KY - 7 miles outside Louisville
      I'd do a water change with a binder and then I'd call the company and tell them the fertilizer blew in your pond. If it was a pesticide you might not have been so lucky.

bobbysuzanna is offline Supporting Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Get some binder in ASAP! Check to see if you have high ammonia levels from the fertilizer.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      Crazy

Cleaned filters, added dechlorinator and added fresh water. I checked the ammonia level this evening and there's none showing.

Spaun is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

I'd do a full water test as fertilizer usually has alot of nitrates. I almost had Trugreen service my lawn. But I was driving and saw a trugreen guy spraying someone elses lawn and he was not being careful to say the least, had his headphones on, going to town. I instantly called and cancelled. Hope everything works out for you. You might want them to sign something that says if they kill your fish they are responsible for them.
      Click for Southgate, Michigan Forecast

KoiValley is offline WWKC Lifetime Diamond Member #3
      is terrific!

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by Mild Bill View Post
      Cleaned filters, added dechlorinator and added fresh water. I checked the ammonia level this evening and there's none showing.
      DIY fertilization plan generally is more precise as you have a personal interest.

Karl
      Karl Schoeler, founder: EIHIOICGI

Certified: AKCA Better Health Practices December 2008

gatorkoi is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

I too use TruGreen. I made a pont when signing up with them that my tech had to come out view my yard and we set some ground rules on how treament was to be applied in perticularly windy days. My tech knows that I had rather they stay 100 ft away from the pond if the wind is up. They worked well with me on this situation. I have yet to have a problem.
      Warning! Koi trained to feed from dangling fingers.
      For your protection, bathing suits required when swimming with Koi
      ______

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      Crazy

I would gladly do my own but wouldn't have a clue what to use or where to get it. I've used some of the weed killers from the big box store and most of it takes forever to work or basically just makes them wilt.

gatorkoi is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by Mild Bill View Post
      I would gladly do my own but wouldn't have a clue what to use or where to get it. I've used some of the weed killers from the big box store and most of it takes forever to work or basically just makes them wilt.
      For lawn fertilization; almost any high nitrogen, slow release like a 15-0-0 fertilizer twice in the spring and once before the grass goes dormant. As far as controlling the weeds, that is a different matter because different weeds and unwanted wild grasses need different chemicals. In our part of the country anyway TruGreen alternates between weed prevention and fertilization so each time they come out they are either doing weed control or they are doing fertilization. Never both in the same visit. Most broadleaf weeds are simple enough to control. It is the grassy weeds that are difficult because they are grass most products that will kill them in a single treatment will also kill the grass in the treatment area. I’m guessing in PA that either Bentgrass or Perennial Rye are the most common lawn grass in your area. Those two species are very susceptible to the chemicals that kill grassy weeds

Anyway my point was that picking the right fertilizer for your lawn is easy enough. High nitrogen, slow release. Then you could just leave the weed control to TruGreen if you wanted.
      Warning! Koi trained to feed from dangling fingers.
      For your protection, bathing suits required when swimming with Koi
      ______

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      Crazy

With TruGreen here you must take a certain amount of packages. One year I canceled and they came the next year and did a $200 treatment so we continued with the program. Then last year after the price was getting outrageous we canceled and they said well we can lower the price, go figure.

xlaziox is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

I used to be a certified fertilizer and pesticide applicator. Get a dry fertilizer cart ($30) In spring, buy two of the blue bags of scotts with crabgrass pre-emergent. Apply one app in the spring (this is your most important app, so lay it on thick, getting a good start on a weed free lawn is the best approach, as killing them after they come up is harder) and save the other one to apply in the fall. In between, put down maybe 5 apps of the regular weed and feed. For spot spraying get yourself a bottle of Gordon's Trimec plus concentrate and a spray tank ($40). It actually kills crabgrass oxalis and other tough weeds unlike most products that promise to do it. If you get nut sedge (starts off looking like fountain grass, and you can't pull it out or all of the roots that snap off turn into a brand new set of plants all around where you pulled the parent out. I get it bad, but I'm in Oklahoma) Image nutsedge killer works pretty well on it, but requires multiple apps. Be very careful with almost all sprays that kill insects. Most of them are extremely toxic to fish. I have someone come do my lawn now, because I have 2 acres, and it takes some serious equipment and unreasonable amounts of chemicals to buy them at lowe's like 4-6 of those big bags $50/bag... My guy does it all for $75, but I have him stop at the back of the house. I'd rather have a few weeds than a bunch of dead fish. I occasionally hit the weeds myself back there with a hand sprayer.

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007