• Sneaky
  • Tired

Thread: AirPurdue's Build Thread

AirPurdue is offline Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

AirPurdue's Build Thread

I'm finally starting construction on my water garden / goldfish pond.

Here is an earlier thread that I started.
      https://www.koiphen.com/forums/showth...art-Filtration

I'll try to post an updated Sketchup rendering soon. I still haven't submitted anything to the homeowners association, but the guy I'd talk to is my neighbor and he's pretty laid back. The evening walkers on the street are all curious and supportive. This is going in the front yard and I'm limited to 2 feet deep since I have no interest in a little fence. The basic construction is a 6" footing with 4 rows of 8x8x16 block. I will likely have a drop-in liner as opposed to a liner sheet. Bottom drain, 2 TPRs, and a no-niche skimmer. No-niche so I can keep the outside perimeter a clean rectangle and to keep things a little simple. All the filtration and pumps will run into the garage. I have a Ultima II 2000 that was a floor model that I found cheaper on eBay. Still considering a sand/gravel. Still need to purchase a pump, UV, check valve, priming pot.

The outside visible sides will have a brick facade, but I'm also keeping an eye open for accent tiles that I could maybe mix in. I would welcome any suggestions. Plan to have 1" insulation sheet in between the block and liner and 2" below grade on the outside.

Name:  10_12_2013_A.jpg
Views: 259
Size:  282.1 KB

Name:  10_12_2013_B.jpg
Views: 262
Size:  291.1 KB

My Project Managers

Name:  2014_05_23_A.jpg
Size:  273.4 KB

Name:  2014_05_23_B.jpg
Size:  167.1 KB

This past weekend

Name:  2014_07_05_A.jpg
Views: 265
Size:  223.6 KB

Name:  2014_07_05_B.jpg
Views: 261
Size:  201.3 KB

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Aeration Question

A question that maybe someone could help with....

I'd like to keep open an option to run an aeration pump in the garage to feed the pond.

-Should I add that air to the return line after the water passes through the UV or because of the pressures, am I better off simply running an air line out to the pond?

-I'd really like to keep any lines feeding the pond under the surface. Is there a bulkhead that would work well for this? I've ordered the DreamPond 1 1/2" bulkheads with the nice wide flanges, but for an air line, I'd need something that is a much smaller diameter. This would be with a liner.

Thanks -Chris

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

I'm back. Wasn't getting alot of feedback...so I just wanted to push through the project and post pictures later.

So here we go....

Footing form removed and blocks are being positioned so I can locate where the holes for the vertical rebar need to drilled prior to the concrete completely setting up.

I was worried about how hard the concrete would be, but the masonry bit cut through it like butter. 32 holes with a charge and a half with the Li-ion drill (not hammer drill...just regular drill).

Name:  pond01.jpg
Views: 177
Size:  178.4 KB

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Footing form removed and blocks are being positioned so I can locate where the holes for the vertical rebar need to drilled prior to the concrete completely setting up.

I was worried about how hard the concrete would be, but the masonry bit cut through it like butter. 32 holes with a charge and a half with the Li-ion drill (not hammer drill...just regular drill).

Name:  pond02.jpg
Views: 178
Size:  160.5 KB

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

The footing wasn't entirely level. I managed to do the entire line of blocks on the right with one 80# bag of Type S cement. I used another on the last 6 blocks at the upper left.

Name:  pond03.jpg
Views: 174
Size:  171.8 KB

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

This is probably overkill, but there will be some sort of fountain or statue at the street-side end. I'm pouring a footing large enough for a base of 4 concrete blocks. Once the liner goes in, it'll be impossible to make any changes...so overkill

Name:  pond04.jpg
Views: 180
Size:  182.6 KB

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Leftover rebar for giggles. Gotta say....concrete flatwork is fun. I'm not great at it, but I'm going to get alot of practice since I'm likely casting the wall caps myself. Still don't have that totally finalized as I need to figure out how I want to color that capstones.

Name:  pond05.jpg
Views: 177
Size:  193.0 KB

And we're done pouring. I've got fragments of sheets to keep crud from getting into the cores and clogging up the rebar holes. I can't reach down into them to re-drill without getting some sort of extension at this point.

Name:  pond06.jpg
Size:  169.9 KB

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Big day. About to lay in horizontal and vertical rebar and then add the fourth and final row of blocks. After that fill block cores with concrete.

Name:  pond07.jpg
Views: 175
Size:  139.9 KB

And the blocks are up, the cores are filled.

Name:  pond08.jpg
Size:  91.4 KB

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

I've also added a thin layer of mortar on top to level everything up.

Name:  pond09.jpg
Size:  118.8 KB

1" Insulating foam board helped keep everything level while adding the mortar on top and it also smooths and protects the liner that has yet to be installed.

Name:  pond10.jpg
Size:  125.9 KB

There's a sump pump just in case it rains. It's rained heavily everywhere but here.

Name:  pond11.jpg
Views: 176
Size:  100.2 KB

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

From the top to bottom....
      2" pipe from Aladdin no-niche skimmer
      2" pipe from Koilet bottom drain

1.5" pipe to threaded Dreampond flanged bulkhead
      1.5" pipe to Dreampond TPR
      1.5" pipe to Dreampond TPR on opposite side of pond
      Name:  pond12.jpg
Views: 173
Size:  99.6 KB

Name:  pond13.jpg
Views: 179
Size:  79.5 KB

Evolution 2500gph pump with priming pot then an Ultima II pressurized filter then a Aquaultraviolet UV with a bypass.

Name:  pond14.jpg
Views: 179
Size:  46.0 KB

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Brick veneer to be applied with thinset mortar

Name:  pond15.jpg
Views: 181
Size:  92.6 KB

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

The liner is in. This is a 15 x 20 Firestone EPDM (or is it EDPM?) 45 mil liner. I was looking at getting a box welded one, but the folds were pretty straightforward and I saved about $500. The liner was $200 with a online coupon and free shipping from Drs Foster & Smith.

Name:  pond16.jpg
Views: 169
Size:  131.5 KB

BWG is offline Senior Member
      is 999875421235621456478541.1

Feeling:
      Happy

Extremely nice pond and quality workmanship.
      Last edited by BWG; 09-26-2014 at 11:42 AM.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Name:  pond17.jpg
Size:  121.1 KB

Trying out a couple different capstones. May end up casting them myself. Each of these were $5/ea at Menards. Would like something smoother.

Name:  pond18.jpg
Size:  159.2 KB

And now I am up-to-date with pics and progress.

My remaining tasks are to complete the application of the veneer brick and then using a grout bag to dress them. I need to fill dirt back in and seal the hole I made into the garage.

I also need to add an outlet with switches near the pump and UV. Because I have two little boys that are curious about everything, I plan to add a cage around the system equipment in the garage.

Couple of questions.....
      -Any tips for a wireless water temp gauge? I'd like to keep a gauge in the pond and a display just inside the house.
      -Any tips for a way to automatically shut off power to the pump and UV if water is detected? I'd rather not empty the pond (1200-1300 gallons) into the garage if something begins to leak.

Thanks. Hope the pics are helpful to people looking to start their own project. There's probably alot of overkill, I'm okay with that. I probably didn't need to fill all the cores. I would have liked a S/G filter, but I found an unused display model Ultima filter on ebay that was pretty cheap and I really want to keep things closed in the garage.

I did a pond tour here in Kansas and one pond enthusiast used his well to regulate water temps in the summer and winter. I found that to be simple, eloquent solution. What I'm running into is the wellwater is a bit on the milky side. It's a 1yr old well, but I don't anticipate it getting better and I'm not sure there's anything that can be done other than using treated city water or infrequent rain runoff.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

In the pics above, you can notice that some veneers haven't been applied yet. I purchased some pre-drilled steel straps from Lowes used for framing, bent them 90deg, and slid them in-between the concrete blocks. These will be available for any sort of netting or covers later on. I haven't yet cut the veneers to allow for the straps to poke through.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by BWG View Post
      Extremely nice pond and quality workmanship.

This next statement might not be correct but I am going to thorough it out because you are at a point in time where it can still be corrected. But only if you want.

The foam insulation that you used looks like a open cell type and it will eventually suck up water like a sponge and loose its insulation value. The correct insulation is a high density closed cell type that is used on foundations for this application.
      Doh. I'm probably past the point of changing it as the liner bulkheads are all sealed in. The only water I can see reaching them is from a leak as they are about an 1" above the footing. I'm not entirely sure if they are open-celled. Scrap pieces have been left outside where the sprinklers would get them and they don't appear to have absorbed much of anything.

Thanks.

BWG is offline Senior Member
      is 999875421235621456478541.1

Feeling:
      Happy

I removed the statement after seeing the new photo progression. This is truly a nice build and will be a show piece.

richtoybox is offline Administrator
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by AirPurdue View Post
      Name:  pond17.jpg
Size:  121.1 KB

Trying out a couple different capstones. May end up casting them myself. Each of these were $5/ea at Menards. Would like something smoother.

Name:  pond18.jpg
Size:  159.2 KB

And now I am up-to-date with pics and progress.

My remaining tasks are to complete the application of the veneer brick and then using a grout bag to dress them. I need to fill dirt back in and seal the hole I made into the garage.

I also need to add an outlet with switches near the pump and UV. Because I have two little boys that are curious about everything, I plan to add a cage around the system equipment in the garage.

Couple of questions.....
      -Any tips for a wireless water temp gauge? I'd like to keep a gauge in the pond and a display just inside the house. http://www.amazon.com/Ambient-Weather-WS-14-8-Channel-Thermometer/dp/B00HTMSYZU/ref=pd_sim_sbs_hg_1?ie=UTF8&refRID=11RPB1033T724VFK8J0K#
      -Any tips for a way to automatically shut off power to the pump and UV if water is detected? I'd rather not empty the pond (1200-1300 gallons) into the garage if something begins to leak. Alarm not shutoff http://www.amazon.com/Glentronics-In...rds=sump+alarm

Thanks. Hope the pics are helpful to people looking to start their own project. There's probably alot of overkill, I'm okay with that. I probably didn't need to fill all the cores. I would have liked a S/G filter, but I found an unused display model Ultima filter on ebay that was pretty cheap and I really want to keep things closed in the garage.

I did a pond tour here in Kansas and one pond enthusiast used his well to regulate water temps in the summer and winter. I found that to be simple, eloquent solution. What I'm running into is the wellwater is a bit on the milky side. It's a 1yr old well, but I don't anticipate it getting better and I'm not sure there's anything that can be done other than using treated city water or infrequent rain runoff.
      Zone 7 A/B
      Keep your words sweet. You never know when you may have to eat them.
      Richard

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Thanks for the tips on the thermometer and alarm. I've got some wireless alarms already, so I'll probably just use one of those sensors for now. Our basement flooded several years ago and I had a Water Cop automatic shutoff valve installed and I'm pretty happy with it, but I would hope there would be an inexpensive solution to simply kill the power (Water Cop would be several hundred dollars and it would probably kill the pump one way or another)

The pool thermometer may work well. Seems like most people don't get more than a year or two out of it. Maybe finding a wired solution is a better bet.

icu2 is offline Administrator ~ WWKC President
      ~ WWKC Treasurer
      is sorry otters exist

Feeling:
      Annoyed

I know my Pinpoint ones didn't last much more than a year. I just ordered the
      ones Rich linked to so ask me in a year how they did.
      --Steve

Koiphen 2021 Koi Person of the Year!

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007