• Tired
  • Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Large Shotcrete pond build

Josh H is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by BarbJ View Post
      Man! That is nice! How many gallons estimated? I read the thread but can't remember if you said. Your koi will be sooooo happy!
      Thanks!... earlier this year another koiphen member filled there pond and offered a gift card for whoever guessed closest so I think I'm going to do that as well... I have a rough idea of what it will be but I'm really not sure. Hoping I can get a loaner meter from Steve at High Desert Koi as I got my pumps and uv from him as well... Goal is to be filling it by the end of the week or early next week...

tsippel is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by koiman1950 View Post
      Well, it really depends on the finshers and how picky you are/should be. With shotcrete, no, there shouldn't be much as it's a wetter mix being shot in and therefore easier to trowel the finish. With gunite, as the mix is pumped dry through the hose and then mixed with water at the nozzle, yes, there can be more, but, again, it depends on how picky you are with the finishers. Many of these guys don't care that much as most deal with construction swimming pools and they are always covered with roughly 1/2"-3/4" of plaster over it. We INSIST on making sure the crew understands our needs/desires. The one we're currently working on, they finally got the idea of how we wanted it finished and it should save us a couple days of having to grind it down smooth enough for the Xypex concentrate to provide a decently smooth coating. I would suggest, after looking at your pics of the job they did, to do one of two things. Either hire someone to come in and put a render coat of mortar over the whole thing, or get in there with a 7" grinder and "git to werk"!!

Also, I notice that you have a "notch" in the walls. Is there a specific reason for these? Also, your skimmer(s) looks too low. How far down from the coping do you plan the water level to be?
      what type of gunite mixes water at the end of the hose .
      never so that before.

tsippel is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

don't feel bad if you have to cut the concrete .
      i cut mine 6 times, as i up grade the filter system.
      my pond is 90000 gallons water movement is the key
      Name:  P3113314.jpg
Views: 805
Size:  65.6 KB

vpkoi is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

I like that safety shelf idea. I want to see the rocks/boulders installed ....

trumpetdoug is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

I concur with Barb J. Real nice smooth lines, and must be 11 or 12 feet deep. Fantastic!!

Doug - out
      See Our Pond http://www.koiphen.com/forums/showth...ond&highlight=

Blank Check Project - Helping those who stand on that wall. www.blankcheckproject.com

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

xypex

Well we've been busy this week as well, got the xypex all added with dye and installed all of the botom drains and domes... We also finished grinding off all of the pvc that was sticking out of the pond as well as hydraulic cement around the skimmers... I had to order some valves and are waiting for them to come in to put my skimmer sump barrel back in and connect all the skimmer lines... Xypex went well and as other posters have said it goes further than on the label I ended up taking back two 60lb pails... We mixed the dye in pretty heavy as I wanted it as black as possible...
      Attached Images Attached Images       

icu2 is online now Administrator ~ WWKC Treasurer
      is usually here but if not I'm
      probably off flying

Feeling:
      Piratey

Looks fantastic!

And don't worry about it if it "chalks" up and looks white.... you've probably seen it, but it'll turn dark
      again as soon as you wet it.
      --Steve
      Find more about Weather in Poulsbo, WA

"It is far better to be alone, than to be in bad company." --George Washington

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Concrete domes for bottom drains

Well, during the tear out of the liner pond I damaged one of my bottom drains with the excavator so I decided to add a third drain and rather than purchase two more koi toilets I made my own... the bottom piece is just a 4" to 6" bell fitting that nintey's into 4"... then I purchased round buckets on sale for 1.00 at walmart and poured about 3" of concrete in them then put some 3/4" pvc in the concrete while wet to use as legs to stand on... I let the concrete set for a day then trimmed the 3/4" legs in place as my floor is sloped and not level. I did not put air domes on these as I wanted to leave the water surface calm at to view the koi better. in the picture the dome at the top of the picture is a koi toilet...

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Finally... WATER

I started filling the pond today at 11:00 with two hoses... pic was taken around 4:00...

Its about 3ft deep with water currently... I'm going to stop filling until when it gets about half way so I can finish my pipe work, just waiting on some valves to come UPS...

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

If you look closely you can see the large brown boulder in the background, that was the first rock we put in today... it will look like a bridge when you come down the stairs from the deck above you step on this boulder then over to the flagstone patio...

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by icu2 View Post
      Looks fantastic!

And don't worry about it if it "chalks" up and looks white.... you've probably seen it, but it'll turn dark
      again as soon as you wet it.
      Thanks, I noticed the chalky white after putting on... I've been reading a lot of your posts about your xypex build thanks for the help... I guess the ph will jump for a few days and I'll monitor it from there...

Cheryl is offline Senior Member ~ Koi Health Care Committee Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Looks fantastic! This is going to be an amazing pond!

Cheryl
      My pond build

Click for weather forecast

"Our goal is to assist with emergency and Koi health issues, as well as educate on best practices. Please help us gain a clear picture by giving the original poster time to answer our questions before offering opinions and suggested treatments."

powerman is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

looking great... and good progress.. I like the safety shelf idea, too
      DAN

kdh is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by koiman1950 View Post
      Well, it really depends on the finshers and how picky you are/should be. With shotcrete, no, there shouldn't be much as it's a wetter mix being shot in and therefore easier to trowel the finish. With gunite, as the mix is pumped dry through the hose and then mixed with water at the nozzle, yes, there can be more, but, again, it depends on how picky you are with the finishers. Many of these guys don't care that much as most deal with construction swimming pools and they are always covered with roughly 1/2"-3/4" of plaster over it. We INSIST on making sure the crew understands our needs/desires. The one we're currently working on, they finally got the idea of how we wanted it finished and it should save us a couple days of having to grind it down smooth enough for the Xypex concentrate to provide a decently smooth coating. I would suggest, after looking at your pics of the job they did, to do one of two things. Either hire someone to come in and put a render coat of mortar over the whole thing, or get in there with a 7" grinder and "git to werk"!!

Also, I notice that you have a "notch" in the walls. Is there a specific reason for these? Also, your skimmer(s) looks too low. How far down from the coping do you plan the water level to be?
      I had to chuckle about this posting. When I had my pond gunited. There was much discussion (from me lol) on the finish procedures and bottom drains ,rounded edges etc. as it was being done. It was getting a little lively you might say. I think they thought I was nuts as they had never done a pond before.

Great idea to have everyone try and figure out the gallons. I see a five gallon bucket on the bottom of pond in one of the pics. I think I can figure it out from that. lol
      Last edited by kdh; 08-16-2014 at 11:12 AM.

koiman1950 is offline Senior Member ~ Koi Health Care Committee Member
      is semi retired

Feeling:
      Tired

Quote Originally Posted by tsippel View Post
      what type of gunite mixes water at the end of the hose .
      never so that before.
      Well, then you've never used/had installed gunite before. There are two methods of "shooting" concrete mixes. One is called shotcrete, which pumps pre-mixed concrete through the hose directly. Gunite is course sand and cement mixed dry and pumped through the hoses. There is a nozzle at the end that you attach a water hose, usually with a special high flow pump attached, with a valve to mix the water and dry mix together at that point. This is the method used when building swimming pools in most parts of the country. Here's a shot of what the unit looks like.
      Mike

check out our website at: http://www.pond-life.net

"Our goal is to assist with emergency and Koi health issues, as well as educate on best practices. Please help us gain a clear picture by giving the original poster time to answer our questions before offering opinions and suggested treatments."

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

long awaited update

Well its been awhile since I've posted... we had a leak that I couldn't find for a few weeks... I just new it was one of the elbows in the 2" tpr lines, so I bought many test plugs and a pressure gauge to test with air and got in the pond and had some issues getting the test plugs to stay tight this was a week after I had got in the pond and with food colouring to see if I could spot the leak. Anyway I got the plugs to work and tried to pressure test with no luck, either a dry fit pipe in my S/G would have air and water leak around it or the plug would pop out... So I knew that all of the tpr's where plugged so I filled up with some more water to see if it still leaked and if it did I would have to check the bottom drains, I knew the bottom drains didn't leak down at the concrete because it held water when it rained, but I didn't know if there was a coupler or fitting that was leaking... So about six hours later the pond is still leaking, I go out with a flashlight in the dark to try and see if I can see swirling or just something as a hint... I happened to look in down the pipe around the handle of the gate valve that was six feet in the ground and the pipe was full of water... all of sudden I remembered that during the excavation I had hit the side drain pipe with the excavator during digging. At the time I pulled on the end of the pipe and it felt solid so I thought it was fine and honestly put it out of my mind because all of the other build issues that come up... I put a test plug in the pipe and the leak immediately stopped so I knew that was source of all my trials and tribulations that last few weeks. I rented an excavator and dug up the pipe and the glue joint had held but it split the gate valve in half at the bottom, once that was fixed we started to move and place boulders with mortar this past weekend...

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

more pics

It took us two weekends to finish the rock work and mortar, I still have some waterfall boulders to place but that can be done later, these pics are still with the water about 15-18" below the top... We used a brown mortar dye as the distributors here that sell xypex don't carry a black dye anymore, I bought them out when we did the xypex parge coat... I also took sand and gravel from my filters and put in the mortar after it set up slightly to give it a more natural look like other on this forum... One thing I found is that liquid bond adhesive dries clear so after using in the mortar mix and letting it set we still had some small sand that was loose so my wife went back over it with the bond adhesive and it worked great to firm up any loose gravel... you can see some of the sand in the second pic... Once the pond was up high enough we turned on the s/g circuit for the first time which went well, I couldn't believe how long it took for the barrels to fill with water I was worried it wasn't filling and the pump wasn't working but I shut a gate valve and the sump was pumped down so I new it was working...

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

more pics

Here some more shots of the rock work and the kids catching the three resident frogs out of the pond...
      I still have some mortar residue to acid wash off of the rocks... for those wondering I'm going to cut off some of the concrete that is above the skimmer and place a large piece of flagstone there... it should cover it up nicely... Lots more work but getting closer have nine 10-12" fish coming from Kodama next week... On a funny note today I was flushing out my BD lines and I have one that does not have a gate valve put on it yet, so I plugged it with a test plug... well in my infinite wisdom I had flushed my other two lines and I thought well this one will be easy, well I ended up soaked and lost a few thousand gallons of water in the process... I had to open all the BD lines and wait for the pond to get over the pipes then I could get the plug back on

icu2 is online now Administrator ~ WWKC Treasurer
      is usually here but if not I'm
      probably off flying

Feeling:
      Piratey

That turned out terrific! And congrat's on finding the leak... the can sometimes be the
      most frustrating part of a build.
      --Steve
      Find more about Weather in Poulsbo, WA

"It is far better to be alone, than to be in bad company." --George Washington

Cowger is offline Senior Member
      is Still thinking about pond #2

Feeling:
      ----

Holy cow, your epic journey on this pond is nearing an end, and it looks great!! Finally leak-free! I doubt many could have survived all this, but your enjoyment of the pond, in the end, should be that much greater! Well done...

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast