• Sneaky
  • Tired

Thread: placement of foam fractionator

tadiba is offline Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

placement of foam fractionator

OK, so I am abandoning my cc ff experiment to go with Ethan style ff. I am wondering about placement since I want to put it behind the waterfall and pipe it back to the pond. That spot is uphill of the water level. Redhotkoi had said "You can place the unit remotely and pipe it over. Mine is 20' away behind my shed/filter house. Can't see it at all except the elbow that returns the water to the pond."

I am wondering how you adjust for the water level in the unit if you have to go downhill to your pond or up and over back to the pond? Just with a ball valve on the end of the pipe? Do I have to dig down to set it at the right level - but then go back up to get it to the waterfall weir?

The only other part of the discussion that I don't get is why the suggestion of a P trap?

SOMEDAY this summer I hope to end up with foam OUTSIDE of my pond!

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

Marilyn is offline Supporting Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Yes, the ball valve is how you control the level of the return water and maximize foam expulsion.
      You don't have to dig down to place the unit. Gravity will make the water want to return to the pond level. You just can't place it below the water level for the same reason. It has to be higher than the surface of the pond.

Still learning as I go but y'all can call me Marilyn

tadiba is offline Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

I understand gravity flow. It is just that the level of the water in the horizontal has to be almost full, and in several posts it has been said that using a ball valve to accomplish this is not the best way. I noticed most people have the units sitting next to the pond at the right level. Does the ball valve work as a way to control the level in the chamber? And why use a p trap instead?

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

A ball valve is not what is keeping the water level in the unit. That is placement and prepping it so that the surface is level.
      The ball valve is what is used to maintain the water at a certain level in the chamber, as you call it, to have the most foam exit. If the water level is too low the foam goes back to the pond. If the level is too high the water pours out of the top of the tee fitting.

And I don't recall using a p trap on mine. I'll need more info on that to help.

tadiba is offline Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by Marilyn View Post
      A ball valve is not what is keeping the water level in the unit. That is placement
      Right. So that is my question - proper placement if the spot for it is uphill of the pond

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Correct, it has to be "uphill" of the pond or the chamber would be too flooded to be effective.
      It can be 1' or 15' above the pond. The only difference is the pump it would take to deliver the water to those elevations.

powerman is offline Supporting Member
      is Still koi keeping

Feeling:
      ----

are you asking where to put the valve? It would work if it was by the pond or by the ff ... for convenience if you put the valve close to the ff will make it easier to adjust the water level to find the sweet spot because you would be able to see the water level in the tee as you adjusted the valve , that would be better than walking back and forth between the pond and the ff

on your gravity return if you go down and up like a trap under a sink you would be fine but if you go up and then down again (like an upside down U)air will collect in the upper portion of your plumbing and slow or block the water flow .. instead of a valve, some people put an elbow on the end of the pipe and turn it up to create extra resistance (that raises the water in the tee) or down to create less resistance and lower the water in the tee.. it depends on the flow rate and the size of your pipe as well as the level of the opening at the end of the elbow as to how well this works.. for you with your long run of pipe, I would think you would have the best luck adjusting it to use a valve within sight of the tee..
      DAN

tadiba is offline Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Thank you for the clarification.

tadiba is offline Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Foam Fractionaters are like children.

Foam fractionates ARE like children. You think your own isn't ugly.
      Finally got some foam, and the pond is super clear. Thanks for your help. If anyone else is going to try it for the first time, I don't think it can be stressed enough that the control of flow in and out of the reaction chamber is the most important thing. The water in there barely seems to flow - moving the ball valve open or closed even a sixteenth makes a big difference in whether or not it is flowing too fast to get foam or overflowing. I don't think I quite grasped that before.
      Attached Images Attached Images  

montwila is offline Supporting Member
      is Busy

Feeling:
      Tired

Congratulations! It a ....................Snake!

Prettier than some I have seen.

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

A foam snake I'm okay with but the garden variety will make me run for the hills.
      Congrats Tadiba, looks like it's working great!

koiman1950 is offline Supporting Member
      is semi retired

Feeling:
      Tired

Quote Originally Posted by tadiba View Post
      Foam fractionates ARE like children. You think your own isn't ugly.
      Finally got some foam, and the pond is super clear. Thanks for your help. If anyone else is going to try it for the first time, I don't think it can be stressed enough that the control of flow in and out of the reaction chamber is the most important thing. The water in there barely seems to flow - moving the ball valve open or closed even a sixteenth makes a big difference in whether or not it is flowing too fast to get foam or overflowing. I don't think I quite grasped that before.
      Yes, you figured it out! The setting of the ball valve to adjust the flow rate is paramount to achieving success. Instead of a ball valve, as you have found out how hard they can be to get finitely adjusted, is to use a gate valve. The handle is on top, with a guillotine-type paddle inside. As you rotate the handle you can easily adjust the flow with much easier control. Just food for thought! But, your foam looks great. An unknowing visitor would probably think it's hideous, but to us koy kichi, it's "a thang of beeuuutteee!!!lol
      Mike

check out our website at: http://www.pond-life.net

"Our goal is to assist with emergency and Koi health issues, as well as educate on best practices. Please help us gain a clear picture by giving the original poster time to answer our questions before offering opinions and suggested treatments."

Ethan25 is offline pm'str
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Love it!
      Ephesians 2:8-9
      faith is a gift, not a personal talent.

trumpetdoug is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by Ethan25 View Post
      Love it!
      Hope to get mine going this year Ethan. Its a monster.

Doug - out
      See Our Pond https://www.koiphen.com/forums/showth...ond&highlight=

Blank Check Project - Helping those who stand on that wall. www.blankcheckproject.com

Cheryl is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

That is some beautiful foam, not too dry, not too wet, just right! I can't tell you how much I fiddled with the protein skimmer on my reef tank to get the foam just right, it drove me nuts. I hope to build one of these in the future! Great job!

Cheryl

Rbs07fxstc is offline Junior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by Cheryl View Post
      That is some beautiful foam, not too dry, not too wet, just right! I can't tell you how much I fiddled with the protein skimmer on my reef tank to get the foam just right, it drove me nuts. I hope to build one of these in the future! Great job!

Cheryl
      It's a good feeling when you see the waste that comes out of the water. I can even smell the waste in the collection cup from across the living room from my reef tank. I'm still in planning/ building stage for my pond & it's deff going to have FF.

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007