• Piratey
  • Poorly
  • Sad
  • Secret
  • Shy
  • Sneaky
  • Tired
  • Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Is there any benefit to green water?

totallyvictorian is offline Supporting Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      Awesome

Is there any benefit to green water?

My aqua transformer (ballast) went out. I've ordered a new one, but was wondering "how bad is green water"?
      Does it have any benefit for the koi? Color, etc ? What harm does it cause? I have lots of air going and the pond
      is out of the afternoon sun.
      Just wondering. I know I enjoy watching them, that's why I keep a UV so they can be seen. Does anyone else
      keep their pond green?

Inquiring minds want to know

Pam

Montgomery County Water Garden Society
      Clarksville, Tn

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

cindy is offline Administrator
      is Loving retirement

Feeling:
      Happy

Mt. Wash. KY - 7 miles outside Louisville
      I need a new UV and the sleeve thingee. The fish like it, gives them privacy.

inazuma28 is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

I am not using a U.V. currently because mine broke and i'm putting in a new pond in a few weeks so there was no need for me to buy a new one when i have to buy another one for the new pond anyway. My pond went light green for 2 weeks and now is crystal clear. This may happen in yours too as the filter bacteria outcompete the algea for nutrients. To your original question, green water is great for fish as long as it is not indicating that your parameters are off. They are more comfortable in green water, safer from predators, protection from U.V. rays from the sun, and there is a built in ammonia buffer having algae present. The only benefits of clear water are viewing pleasure and to be able to easily assess the health of the fish.

joshk87 is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

As long as your water parameters are fine the there's nothing wrong with green water. One of our local koi dealers let's his fry tanks go green on purpose.
      My Pond Build
      Koiphen Fantasy Football Champ '15,'13

Aquajoe is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Green water makes good food for raising daphnia (live food for fish). Have thousands of daphnia, but producing enough green water is difficult. Those little suckers eat green water like candy. LOL!

sandthemall is offline Supporting Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Good clean, green water is probably the best for them. I agreee, as Inazuma28 said, that green water has a stabilizing effect on parameters. I've never owned a UV system (probably should) in 13 years of having a pond. When my water turns a little green, I know something's up. Generally, my water varies from fairly clear to crystal clear (most of the time) with a tinge of green tint. (I have lots of bio and 50% shade though).

Sweetwater is offline Supporting Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by sandthemall View Post
      Good clean, green water is probably the best for them. I agreee, as Inazuma28 said, that green water has a stabilizing effect on parameters. I've never owned a UV system (probably should) in 13 years of having a pond. When my water turns a little green, I know something's up. Generally, my water varies from fairly clear to crystal clear (most of the time) with a tinge of green tint. (I have lots of bio and 50% shade though).
      I agree with you with a few exceptions. Green water effects the DO in the pond from day to night. During the day it puts out oxygen and takes in CO2. (Photosynthesis. It is a plant) In a pond that is mildly buffered this can raise the pH, not a bad thing so far. At night is a different story. Photosynthesis stops due to the lack of light. The algae will absorb Oxygen and expel CO2. This could lower the pH if the pond is not well buffered or aerated. Dawn in the summer is the most likely time to see a pH crash coupled with Oxygen depletion. A lot of algae in the pond will exacerbate the situation.

Other considerations would be Algae makes it hard to observe the koi for signs of parasites or disease. The koi will be less appreciated because they are harder to see for enjoyment. You spent a considerable sum on your fish and pond. You should be able to see them.

OCKOIANDGARDEN is offline Inactivated
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

I am trying to get green water, I turn off my UV and so far 3 weeks and water still clear.......is there a quicker process to get the water turn green ?

rainblood is offline Assembler of Water Droplets
      is The Plantinator

Feeling:
      Piratey

Quote Originally Posted by OCKOIANDGARDEN View Post
      I am trying to get green water, I turn off my UV and so far 3 weeks and water still clear.......is there a quicker process to get the water turn green ?
      Double up your fish load and feed more ...although I wish I could keep the water clear without a UV...
      -Rain

:I CAN'T BRING THIS SHIP INTO TRTUGA ALL BY ME ONESIES, SAVVY?:

Redman8102 is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by OCKOIANDGARDEN View Post
      Add more fish!

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

APOLONASGR36 is offline Supporting Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by rainblood View Post
      Double up your fish load and feed more ...although I wish I could keep the water clear without a UV...
      If you can't something is definitely off. I never have any UV running in any of my ponds and no green water.
      John

Proud Lifetime Member

Founding Member

MAKC Member

kdh is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by APOLONASGR36 View Post
      If you can't something is definitely off. I never have any UV running in any of my ponds and no green water.

rainblood is offline Assembler of Water Droplets
      is The Plantinator

Feeling:
      Piratey

Quote Originally Posted by kdh View Post
      -Rain

:I CAN'T BRING THIS SHIP INTO TRTUGA ALL BY ME ONESIES, SAVVY?:

Dravin is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Just because your water doesn't get green doesn't mean someone else's pond won't. Nothing is wrong if your water get's green. The fact that you don't use a UV and your water doesn't get green tells me that you either live in an area which is rather cloudy, your daylight hours are not as long as other places, the water isn't 70+ degrees, or you have shading over your pond. If you live in Colorado where with have 300+ days of sunshine a year and it's light from 5:00am to 8:30-9:30pm, you can't stop your water from turning green without a UV light or shading your pond. It doesn't matter how great your filtration is, you can even do 30% water changes every day and the water will stay green. You can have a turnover rate of 5 times per hour in your pond filtration unit---algae will convert much of the ammonia before it gets to your filters if your pond green.

So, consider yourself lucky that you do not need to deal with algae---others are not as fortunate.

On the topic of whether green water is good or not, it's a natural way to protect the koi from sun, and it does a good job assisting in biologically filtering your water. I'm not sure of the science behind it but supposedly green water is really good for the koi's skin or so the breeders have told me. Huge downside---you can't see your koi. Minor downside, if you don't feed color food and your water get's too green it can actually cause your beni to lighten up temporarily due to blocking out the sun.
      Last edited by Marilyn; 05-24-2014 at 01:46 PM. Reason: removed content of personal nature

kdh is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by rainblood View Post
      Stop feeding them green eggs and ham.

As I keep hearing. All ponds are different. But I have seen many ponds with clear water and no uv's. Remember there was a time that a uv was not even heard of and many had clear ponds. Perhaps the uv comes into play because of the water, fish population, feeding regiment, sun light and filtering system? You can push the system and ya need a uv.

Pond James_Pond is offline Senior Member
      is Let 'em eat Manda Foo!

Feeling:
      Friendly

Green water happens. Then algae on the sides of the pond happens. Then the next form of plant matter happens..... It's a cycle.

steve

sandthemall is offline Supporting Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by Sweetwater View Post
      I agree with you with a few exceptions. Green water effects the DO in the pond from day to night. During the day it puts out oxygen and takes in CO2. (Photosynthesis. It is a plant) In a pond that is mildly buffered this can raise the pH, not a bad thing so far. At night is a different story. Photosynthesis stops due to the lack of light. The algae will absorb Oxygen and expel CO2. This could lower the pH if the pond is not well buffered or aerated. Dawn in the summer is the most likely time to see a pH crash coupled with Oxygen depletion. A lot of algae in the pond will exacerbate the situation.

Other considerations would be Algae makes it hard to observe the koi for signs of parasites or disease. The koi will be less appreciated because they are harder to see for enjoyment. You spent a considerable sum on your fish and pond. You should be able to see them.
      Yes, this sounds right too. Keeping good water is not always easy to do. My puddle is heavily aerated and I test the kH and pH often...luckily it's been rock steady, but I won't take it for granted. I think a well aerated pond keeps the CO2 in check.

But without a UV system, my water has been varying shades of clear...never even partly cloudy. It think with heavy aeration, good bio, trickle flow and a watchful eye, maybe a UV system is seldom necessary?

Heavy aeratio
      Last edited by sandthemall; 05-24-2014 at 12:24 AM.

sacicu is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by Dravin View Post
      Just because your water doesn't get green doesn't mean someone else's pond won't. Nothing is wrong if your water get's green. The fact that you don't use a UV and your water doesn't get green tells me that you either live in an area which is rather cloudy, your daylight hours are not as long as other places, the water isn't 70+ degrees, or you have shading over your pond. If you live in Colorado where with have 300+ days of sunshine a year and it's light from 5:00am to 8:30-9:30pm, you can't stop your water from turning green without a UV light or shading your pond. It doesn't matter how great your filtration is, you can even do 30% water changes every day and the water will stay green. You can have a turnover rate of 5 times per hour in your pond filtration unit---algae will convert much of the ammonia before it gets to your filters if your pond green.

So, consider yourself lucky that you do not need to deal with algae---others are not as fortunate.

On the topic of whether green water is good or not, it's a natural way to protect the koi from sun, and it does a good job assisting in biologically filtering your water. I'm not sure of the science behind it but supposedly green water is really good for the koi's skin or so the breeders have told me. Huge downside---you can't see your koi. Minor downside, if you don't feed color food and your water get's too green it can actually cause your beni to lighten up temporarily due to blocking out the sun.
      I dont agree on this statement. I dont shade my pond but I do get morning sunlight from 6am to 1130am. I have a stocking level of 500g per large koi and feed enough in a tropical weather where average water temperature is around 80F. I change around 5%water a day with a turnover of 2x an hour with lots of aeration in the filter. Never used UV and water stays very clear without any tint of green. Wall algae is also thin but covers the pond surface. Nitrates is just 10ppm. Water very soft with just 80ppm tds.. My filtration combines ERIC system coupled to bakki system. All high quality gosanke 26 to 30" sansais grow very big with very good coloration.
      Last edited by Marilyn; 05-24-2014 at 01:46 PM. Reason: applied edit to quote

Dravin is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by sacicu View Post
      I dont agree on this statement. I dont shade my pond but I do get morning sunlight from 6am to 1130am. I have a stocking level of 500g per large koi and feed enough in a tropical weather where average water temperature is around 80F. I change around 5%water a day with a turnover of 2x an hour with lots of aeration in the filter. Never used UV and water stays very clear without any tint of green. Wall algae is also thin but covers the pond surface. Nitrates is just 10ppm. Water very soft with just 80ppm tds.. My filtration combines ERIC system coupled to bakki system. All high quality gosanke 26 to 30" sansais grow very big with very good coloration.

Read it again... "morning sunlight"? 5 hours of sunlight isn't enough to create green water. Try 15 hours. I'm talking about sun all day long, not just part of the day and then the rest of the day is shaded. Don't comment on what you don't know. I very clearly stated that some ponds will not deal with algae due to shade. All you're doing is re-enforcing what I originally stated. It sound like if you're only getting sunlight from 6 am to 11:30am, that's 5.5 hours of sunlight, not an entire day in a place like Arizona, Texas, Colorado, etc.... where there is no shade built for the pond. Your filtration system has nothing to do with green water which can't be avoided in some conditions, although if your filtration can't keep up, then that definitely will create green water.

Also heavy aeration only creates an environment for even more algae to grow because if you can keep up with the DO, it gets to a point where the algae will eat all your ammonia before it ever even reaches the filter since it has all the oxygen it needs.
      Last edited by Marilyn; 05-24-2014 at 01:49 PM. Reason: removed content directed at member instead of post

totallyvictorian is offline Supporting Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      Awesome

"Also heavy aeration only creates an environment for even more algae to grow because if you can keep up with the DO, it gets to a point where the algae will eat all your ammonia before it ever even reaches the filter since it has all the oxygen it needs."

Wow! Something else I didn't know I always thought the more aeration the better..maybe I should cut back on some of my air stones?

Pam

Montgomery County Water Garden Society
      Clarksville, Tn

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast