• Meh
  • Piratey
  • Poorly
  • Sad
  • Secret
  • Shy
  • Sneaky
  • Tired

Thread: Zakki Sieve in Combination with a Bead Filter...

Zac Penn is offline Supporting Member
      is the owner of Deepwater Koi
      Innovations

Feeling:
      ----

Zakki Sieve in Combination with a Bead Filter...

A customer of mine informed me that I didn't have any pictures that included a bead filter after a Zakki Sieve, and concluded that is shouldn't be done. Luckily he called me before having that thought really stuck in his head because it is perfectly acceptable. Furthermore I wouldn't recommend installing a bead filter WITHOUT a sieve in front of it. The internals of a bead filter are just too small to send raw pond water directly into it. Case and point...
      Pump Leaf Basket vs Bead Filter Internals
      Name:  20140522_172731.jpg
Views: 4130
Size:  78.0 KB
      Name:  20140522_172744.jpg
Views: 3742
Size:  67.4 KB

On the other hand using a sieve screen in front of the bead filter will only allow the smallest of material (in this case 250 microns and smaller) to go into the bead filter (yes that is dust on top of the sieve screen)...
      Name:  20140522_173044.jpg
Views: 3852
Size:  122.8 KB

For this example my customer will have the following...
      Two 3" bottom drains and one 3" skimmer. These three inlets go into the top of the Large Zakki Sieve, which can handle up to 10,000 gph of water flow. The pond water is filtered down to 250 microns through the sieve screen and then two PerformancePro Artesian2 A2-1/4-58-C are hooked up to the bottom of the sieve. One pump pushes directly through a EVO110 UV clarifier and the other pump is hooked up to the bypass plumbing. This makes it easier clean the Zakki Sieve when it is time. Both pumps push the water into a GCTEK AquaBead 6.0 Low Head X2 bead filter. This filter has the lowest back pressure rating due to the dual inlets/outlets and the style of diffuser used inside the filter. Once the water passes through the bead filter it returns back to the pond via TPR's and a waterfall. Here are some pictures of the setup...
      Name:  20140522_170543.jpg
Views: 4746
Size:  79.7 KB
      Name:  20140522_170636.jpg
Views: 4151
Size:  59.1 KB

I know some of you are looking at this and wondering why I added the extra 90's on the pump outlet. Well I didn't want there to be pipes elevated 12" or so off the ground that the customer would have to step over. They will need access right up to the side of the Zakki Sieve so bringing the pressure pipe onto the ground allows them to easily walk over it when doing maintenance.
      Name:  20140522_170729.jpg
Views: 3692
Size:  63.4 KB

The 3" check valves are in the picture for reference. The 3" inlets to the sieves will be connected to them because this system will be above pond water level. I do not want to connect them because the customers may be able to bury them below the pond water level and still have access to them.
      Name:  20140522_170802.jpg
Views: 3476
Size:  100.8 KB

The EVO110 is elevated on a piece of styrofoam temporarily because I do not know how the customer will secure it when installed.
      Name:  20140522_170850.jpg
Views: 3446
Size:  100.3 KB
      Name:  20140522_171041.jpg
Views: 3466
Size:  95.2 KB

I will update this later with flow diagrams and cleaning procedures, but it give you something to look at for now.
      Zac
      Zac Penn.... Please sign-up for our MAILING LIST HERE
      904-288-6199
      Zac@DeepwaterKoi.com
      www.DeepwaterKoi.com

rbarn is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Nice set-up. 3" true union ball valves sure aint cheap.
      Currency units are a media of exchange and not a store of wealth

Innovations

Feeling:
      ----

Name:  Valve Identification 13.png
Views: 4329
Size:  1.46 MB
      Valve Identification...
      1 - Pressurized Ball Valve on UV Side of Filter System
      This valve controls how much water is pumped through the UV side of the bead filter.
      2 - One 3" Skimmer Ball Valve and One 3" Bottom Drain Ball Valve
      These valves can be adjusted to determine how much water flows through each inlet line.
      3 - Suction 3-Way Valve on Bypass Side of Filter System
      This valve determines where the water pump is sucking from. Depending on where the OFF label is pointed the pump could be sucking from the bottom of the Zakki Sieve, or directly from the pond when it is in Bypass Mode.
      4 - Second Bottom Drain Ball Valve on Bypass Side of Filter System
      This valve can be adjusted to determine how much water flows through each inlet line.
      5 - Waste Outlet Ball Valve
      This valve is slowly opened to release the vacuum pressure on the filter during a cleaning cycle, and it is also used to adjust the water level inside the sieve.
      6 - Pressurized 3-Way Valve on Bypass Side of Filter System
      This valve determines which way the water is pumped after it has gone through the sieve. It can either pump into the bead filter or it can send water into the top of the sieve during a cleaning cycle.
      7 - Bead Filter Inlet Valve on UV Side of Filter System
      ​This valve does the same thing as Valve #1, but since it is closer to the bead filter it is more convenient to use when just backwashing the bead filter. This valve is connected to the dirty side of the bead filter and is closed when you are using the air blower to agitate the beads inside the filter.
      8 - Bead Filter Outlet Valve on UV Side of Filter System
      This valve is connected to the clean side of the bead filter and is also closed during bead filter backwashing.
      9 - Bead Filter Inlet Valve on Bypass Side of Filter System
      This valve determines whether the water from the pump goes straight into the bead filter, or whether it gets routed into the Multi-Port Valve when it is time to backwash the bead filter. The Multi-Port Valve creates a significant amount of back pressure so during normal operation you want to keep Valve #9 open so there is less restriction to flow.
      10 - Bead Filter Outlet Valve on Bypass Side of Filter System
      This valve determines whether the clean water from the bead filter goes straight back to the pond, or whether it gets routed into the Multi-Port Valve during the cleaning of the bead filter. The Multi-Port Valve creates a significant amount of back pressure so during normal operation you want to keep Valve #10 open so there is less restriction to flow.
      11 - Bead Filter Multi-Port Cleaning Valve
      This valve can send the water in different pathways into the filter. It is used to clean the bead filter. You place the valve into the following positions during a cleaning cycle...
      Rinse - This position is used when you are using the Air Blower to agitate the bead media. This position is also used after you have backwashed the bead filter and you need to clean the water up before sending it back to the pond.
      Backwash - This position pumps water into the top of the bead filter and pushes the dirty water down through the bead media pack and out to waste.
      Filter - This is the normal operation mode of the filter and it sends water into the bottom of the filter so the bead media pack and filter out any small particles as the water rises up through the filter and out the top manifold.
      12 - Bead Filter Air Blowers
      This blower provides high pressure air flow into the bead filter to agitate the media pack.
      13 - Pressurized Ball Valve on Bypass Side of Filter System
      Determines how much water flows into the bead filter on the UV side of the system.
      904-288-6199
      Zac@DeepwaterKoi.com
      www.DeepwaterKoi.com

Innovations

Feeling:
      ----

Normal Operation...
      Name:  Normal Flow 1.png
Views: 3292
Size:  1.44 MB
      Name:  Normal Flow 2.png
Views: 3196
Size:  1.29 MB

Dirty water flows into the sieve through the bottom drains and skimmer, solids larger than 250 microns are separated on the sieve screen, and the smaller particles and water pass onto the bottom of the sieve. The pump sucks the relatively clean water from the sieve and pushes it into the bead filter for final polishing and biological filtration. The clean water then flow out through the two outlets and back to the pond.

Bypass Mode...
      Name:  Bypass Mode.png
Views: 3228
Size:  1.30 MB
Views: 3139
Size:  1.46 MB
      In order to do maintenance on the Zakki Sieve, we need to remove the vacuum pressure from the filter. To do this we simply open another path for the pump to suck water from. Seeing as how we have two pumps on this system we will need to isolate each pump from the sieve to release the vacuum pressure. By rotating Valve #3 so the OFF label is pointing towards the sieve we allow the pump to suck directly from the pond and bypass the sieve. However the vacuum pressure is still being exerted on the sieve through Valve #4. By closing Valve #4 we completely isolate the bypass pump from the sieve filter. In order to eliminate the vacuum pressure from the second pump we can simply close Valve #1 so it can no longer pump water away from the sieve. If it cannot pump water, then it cannot create a suction force either so all of the vacuum pressure has been removed from the sieve. You can now open the waste valve or remove the clear lid from the sieve to do maintenance.

Placing the filter back into normal operation is just the reverse. Make sure that the clear lid is securely fastened to the filter and that the waste valve is closed, then you can open Valve #1 and allow water flow to resume through that pump. Then open Valve #4 so the pond water could start to flow through that inlet, and then rotate Valve #3 so the OFF label points towards the bypass pipe.

Sieve Screen Cleaning Mode...

Name:  Screen Cleaning Mode.png
Size:  1.30 MB
Size:  1.46 MBAfter the Zakki Sieve has been placed into Bypass Mode you can flush the waste off of the sieve screen by opening the waste Valve #5 and then rotating Valve #6 so the OFF label points towards the pond return line and the pump pushes water into the top of the sieve. This will raise the water level above the waste outlet and flush the debris away from the sieve. Once the screen is clean you rotate Valve #6 so the OFF label points toward the sieve inlet line and water goes back to the pond. Allow the water to drain from the sieve until it is roughly 1 1/2" above the waste trough and then close Valve #5. You can then place the filter back into normal operation by opening Valve #1 and then Valve #4, and then rotating Valve #3 so the OFF label points towards the bypass pipe.

If the water level is still above the bottom of the sieve screen when the filter is placed back into normal operation, you can manually lower the water level by slightly opening Valve #5 so air is allowed to leak into the sieve. Once the water level gets to the bottom of the sieve screen close Valve #5.
      904-288-6199
      Zac@DeepwaterKoi.com
      www.DeepwaterKoi.com

stevek is offline Supporting Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Zac- I realize some customers are trying to utilize existing equipment ( bead filters ) , but if you were starting from scratch and designing an ideal system, would you recommend a shower instead of the bead filter for better results ? Seems like a Zakki shower would be simpler to implement with less moving parts and things that could go wrong .

jimc2142003 is offline Supporting Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

I just finished a new set up. BD to Zakki sieve to bead filter to zakki shower. 2nd circuit is skimmer to SG filter. The bead filter is actually working well catching fines that would have ended up in the cermedia. I guess the MC-50 would work as well. I am very pleased with how well this set up is working.

Bortan is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

I am planning on using a Zakki Sieve to a Fluid Art bead filter and then a Zakki Shower. My question, which is less head. The bead filter or an MC-50??

I have both a bead filter and an MC-50 (new not used, thinking about reselling it)

Innovations

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by stevek View Post
      Zac- I realize some customers are trying to utilize existing equipment ( bead filters ) , but if you were starting from scratch and designing an ideal system, would you recommend a shower instead of the bead filter for better results ? Seems like a Zakki shower would be simpler to implement with less moving parts and things that could go wrong .
      It really depends on how the plumbing is incorporated. Sometimes it is just easier to deal with a bead filter instead of having to raise a shower filter high enough to gravity flow back to the pond. Using the Low Head X2 version of the Aquabead is just about the least restrictive way of using a bead filter that is available today. Having two inlets and two outlets really lowers the head pressure compared to standard bead filters.

Quote Originally Posted by jimc2142003 View Post
      I just finished a new set up. BD to Zakki sieve to bead filter to zakki shower. 2nd circuit is skimmer to SG filter. The bead filter is actually working well catching fines that would have ended up in the cermedia. I guess the MC-50 would work as well. I am very pleased with how well this set up is working.
      I would love to see some pictures of how you worked it all together.

Quote Originally Posted by Bortan View Post
      I am planning on using a Zakki Sieve to a Fluid Art bead filter and then a Zakki Shower. My question, which is less head. The bead filter or an MC-50??

I have both a bead filter and an MC-50 (new not used, thinking about reselling it)
      That is a trick question because it all comes down to flow rate. A medium sized bead filter with a low flow rate is going to have less head pressure and better mechanical filtration than an MC50. A smaller bead filter with the same flow rate will have more head pressure and about the same mechanical filtration as the MC50. One big difference here is that the MC50 will only spin out particles that are more dense than water. So if you have a lot of suspended solids in your water a bead filter will trap more than the multi-cyclone.
      904-288-6199
      Zac@DeepwaterKoi.com
      www.DeepwaterKoi.com

Innovations

Feeling:
      ----

Here is another example of a Zakki Sieve, PerformancePro A2-1/2-76-C, GCTek Aquabead 4.25 LH, and EVO55 UV Clarifier...

Name:  20140812_163622.jpg
Views: 2918
Size:  53.4 KB
      Name:  20140812_163851.jpg
Views: 2915
Size:  48.7 KB
      Name:  20140812_163919.jpg
Views: 2994
      904-288-6199
      Zac@DeepwaterKoi.com
      www.DeepwaterKoi.com

trumpetdoug is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

My system is pretty dialed in now Zac. Complete with filter shed. I'll post a pic here tomorrow as it is relevant with the bead. Also has UV in line.

Doug - out

PS - The sieve is still just working like a champ. I flush it about every 3 days now. Marvelous device!!!
      See Our Pond http://www.koiphen.com/forums/showth...ond&highlight=

Blank Check Project - Helping those who stand on that wall. www.blankcheckproject.com

Stevectx is offline Supporting Member
      is Happy to have this group

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by Zac Penn View Post
      Here is another example of a Zakki Sieve, PerformancePro A2-1/2-76-C, GCTek Aquabead 4.25 LH, and EVO55 UV Clarifier...

Name:  20140812_163622.jpg
Views: 2918
Size:  53.4 KB
      Name:  20140812_163851.jpg
Views: 2915
Size:  48.7 KB
      Name:  20140812_163919.jpg
Views: 2994
      Hey Zac, this looks a lot like the system I have coming (except with the Aquabead 6.0 LH) BUT you spec'd a 1/2 horse pump pulling over 7000 GPH at 10' head. Can I assume this customer had more than 10' head or did they throttle down the pump... or can the 16" sieve handle more than 6000 GPH? Maybe I'm missing something. I believe that sieve is spec'd or rated at a lower flow rate but I'm really wanting to push 7000 GPH through mine. Can that be done?

Steve

Innovations

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by Stevectx View Post
      Hey Zac, this looks a lot like the system I have coming (except with the Aquabead 6.0 LH) BUT you spec'd a 1/2 horse pump pulling over 7000 GPH at 10' head. Can I assume this customer had more than 10' head or did they throttle down the pump... or can the 16" sieve handle more than 6000 GPH? Maybe I'm missing something. I believe that sieve is spec'd or rated at a lower flow rate but I'm really wanting to push 7000 GPH through mine. Can that be done?

Steve

Hey Steve,
      I can't remember exactly which customer this system is made for, but I am sure I specified the correct pump for their system. The MAX flow rate of the 16" Zakki Sieve is 4500 GPH. If you want to push 7,000 GPH then you need to upgrade to the 24" Zakki Sieve.
      904-288-6199
      Zac@DeepwaterKoi.com
      www.DeepwaterKoi.com

TylerDurden is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Hows the mc-50 compare to a quality bead filter? I can't imagine it does as well removing fines. But I have no experience with either so more info would be appreciated.