• Sneaky
  • Tired

Thread: Will it be hard to sell......?

NN-Tampa is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Will it be hard to sell......?

....... the house that comes with 2 ponds?

For most people, I don’t see if someone will be interest to buy a home with 2 koi ponds. I currently have 2 small ponds (2000gal & 1600gal) in front and back yard, I am thinking to re-do the smaller one and make it a little bigger but I’m just wondering if I have to sell the house in the future, will it be a problem trying to sell it? The house with 1 pond can be a selling point but the house with 2 ponds not so much…. IMO

Do you know or hear of any koi hobby that had problem with that?

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

BarbJ is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Are they liner ponds? If so, it's not really difficult for a new owner to remove them and fill in, a concrete poured pond may be tougher.
      Maybe get some estimates on what demo would cost and you could offer prospective buyers a rebate in that amount to reassure them. The cost could be what would make some folks pause, if they knew ahead of time and you had a solution for them, it might not be that big a deal.

Or they can fall in love with ponding! ( that's what happened to me, bought a house with a pond!)
      Regards,BarbJ
      Come on by and visit both club's websites!

Click for Cupertino, California Forecast

icu2 is offline Administrator ~ WWKC President
      ~ WWKC Treasurer
      is sorry otters exist

Feeling:
      Annoyed

This was the one that I remember... it was very sad, but shows one way it can be done.

https://www.koiphen.com/forums/showth...just-TWO-WEEKS!
      --Steve

Koiphen 2021 Koi Person of the Year!

kdh is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Most people are looking for a house. Not a house with a koi pond.

Disadvantages:
      We have small children. No way.
      Where not interested in koi pond
      Looks like work.
      Don't want to pay the added electric and water bills.
      Don't want our pets near the water.

Bottom line. It can be tough enough to sell a house to the 100% of people looking. It's even tougher when selling to 25% of the 100% that do not have an issue with koi pond. Just numbers I made up but ya get the drift.

rainblood is offline Assembler of Water Droplets
      is The Plantinator

Feeling:
      Piratey

Odds are that it'd be easier to sell minus the pond but you never know...
      I think Bart (Hammerhead?)was able to sell his house with a big pond...

I'd likely have to demo my pond if it ever went to market.
      -Rain

:I CAN'T BRING THIS SHIP INTO TRTUGA ALL BY ME ONESIES, SAVVY?:

Eyesx is offline Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Last year, about this time I sold my house with my 2000 gallon Koi pond. I left the pond there and in great shape, and while showing the house, I left signs indicating to the potential buyers that I was willing to work with them in one of three ways to deal with the pond.

Those three ways being: 1. I'll remove, fill, and seed for them. 2. I'll leave the pond as is with all manuals/instructions for use. 3. I'll take my pond equipment, and leave them with $1000 to dispose of/landscape it in any way they choose.

I figured giving people those 3 options would take the pond as a bad thing right off the table. I left the pond in for the selling just in case the one person who really wanted a pond came by and loved it. Fortunately, that is exactly what happened! The person who bought my house was moving from a rural home where they had a pond, so they loved and wanted it!

All in all it worked out, and additionally, my agent noted(which surprized me a bit) that alot of the viewers thought that the pond was a great addition to the house.

So yeah, I would just give the buyers options and who knows, maybe you'll get that one buyer that really wants those ponds!

cindy is offline Administrator
      is Loving retirement

Feeling:
      Happy

Mt. Wash. KY - 7 miles outside Louisville
      Quote Originally Posted by Eyesx View Post
      Last year, about this time I sold my house with my 2000 gallon Koi pond. I left the pond there and in great shape, and while showing the house, I left signs indicating to the potential buyers that I was willing to work with them in one of three ways to deal with the pond.

Those three ways being: 1. I'll remove, fill, and seed for them. 2. I'll leave the pond as is with all manuals/instructions for use. 3. I'll take my pond equipment, and leave them with $1000 to dispose of/landscape it in any way they choose.

I figured giving people those 3 options would take the pond as a bad thing right off the table. I left the pond in for the selling just in case the one person who really wanted a pond came by and loved it. Fortunately, that is exactly what happened! The person who bought my house was moving from a rural home where they had a pond, so they loved and wanted it!

All in all it worked out, and additionally, my agent noted(which surprized me a bit) that alot of the viewers thought that the pond was a great addition to the house.

So yeah, I would just give the buyers options and who knows, maybe you'll get that one buyer that really wants those ponds!
      I like.

You'd be surprised how many don't want an inground pool. I sold mine with a pool and pond.

andrew davis is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Any attractive garden feature adds to the selling points on a house description.

Folk with no experience of ponds may have some vague frets not having any clue though its easy for them to comprehend making a bog garden as an alternative if kids are their priority
      “The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

fishin4cars is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

When I sold my last house I had two ponds. I removed one to bring with me, and I left the smaller one and agreed to remove it if the buyer wanted it removed. Had a swimming pool too. Both helped sell the house. I was contacted by the people last week that bought the house about some questions on building another pond where the one I covered up used to be. So really you never know. I sure would hate though to agree to fill in and replant with grass seed the $70k and who knows how many man hours we have in the front yard we have now. I would hope someone would buy that wanted a farm with Koi. I'd probably be more likely to take the loss to find a new owner that would appreciate the koi, ponds and animals that already reside on the property.

kby103 is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

When we moved from DC to Indy, we had a 2000 gallon pond. We ended up selling-but agreed to "reduce" the the pond to a water garden. It was a liner, so we pulled up the liner, filled in the deep end, reduced the footprint, and voila- 500 gallon water feature.

We are looking at possibly listing our current house. The plan is going to be that the purchase price will not include the 22000 gal pond- the reality of that statement, between the 10X10x6 filter pit, a 8' diameter "wishing well", and the actual pond which has an overall footprint of about 40X20 and 5.5' at the deepest points, surrounded by 13 pallets worth of rock, plus mature trees/bushes, is a bit intimidating, not to mention that it was a completely DIY (except the final 22 yard concrete pour) project I planned for 3 years and spent 5 years building. Sorry for digressing from your post- I am not looking forward to it.

Bottom line- I would suggest leaving it as is as the starting point, and then negotiate from there. If they like the house but not the pond(s), their realtor should be able to help them see that the pond(s) can be changed/eliminated- just like painting and other aesthetics. Particularly if your agent knows this, since the agents have candid talks about the house. It saves you time up front, and they may actually be a selling point- my first one was, although I did have to modify it as noted above.

Jim

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

andrew davis is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

While pond nuts may be fewer and further between, there's bound to be some, or potential pond nuts wanting such a feature

I'd probably be more likely to take the loss to find a new owner that would appreciate the koi, ponds and animals that already reside on the property.
      Regards, andy
      http://swglist.wordpress.com/
      http://www.flickr.com/photos/21940871@N06/
      “The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by BarbJ View Post
      Are they liner ponds? If so, it's not really difficult for a new owner to remove them and fill in, a concrete poured pond may be tougher.
      Maybe get some estimates on what demo would cost and you could offer prospective buyers a rebate in that amount to reassure them. The cost could be what would make some folks pause, if they knew ahead of time and you had a solution for them, it might not be that big a deal.

Or they can fall in love with ponding! ( that's what happened to me, bought a house with a pond!)

Both ponds are with liner but on of them has one concrete block wall to protect the walk way, nothing special. When the time come I may have to fill in one of them, hate to think about sale the house but I have to before re-do the pond and make it bigger. Time and money put into it and end up fill them back in again .....

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by icu2 View Post
      This was the one that I remember... it was very sad, but shows one way it can be done.

https://www.koiphen.com/forums/showth...just-TWO-WEEKS!
      Wow.... it's painful reading thru those posts.... Thanks for sharing

clm is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

A lot of folks worry about doing things inside and outside their homes and whether it will affect resale value. We've never taken resale issues into consideration with anything we've done or will do to the house and yard over the close to 30 years we've been here. We don't plan on moving, but if we do we will cross that bridge when we come to it. We live for the here and now and do what pleases us and makes living here a joy for us.

clm
      Click for Toronto Pearson, Ontario Forecast

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007