• Sneaky
  • Tired

Thread: Retaining wall question for 1st pond

Shotzi21 is offline Junior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Retaining wall question for 1st pond

I've been searching this forum for months as I am going to build my first pond. Over the course of the last year, I've evolved from thinking about hiring someone to build the pond, to being pretty confident I can do it myself (all thanks to this forum!!).

I live in south Jersey and work full-time so the pond would be constructed on the weekends and in the evenings. My plan is to dig a 7 ft. wide by 14 ft. long, side yard pond. Now here is the question....I am building this pond mostly for my 2 labs to cool off in and was wondering if it would still be ok to post the construction on here since it is definitely not for Koi? I might put a few feeder goldfish in but that depends on how my dogs act in the pond.
      I wanted to be sure I construct it correctly so it can stay fairly clean. My plan is to start the pond at about 1 1/2' ft.-1 3/4 ft. deep with steps on one side and a skimmer on the other side of the shallow end. I'd gradually take the pond to about 2 foot at the opposite end and have a bog acting as a waterfall back into the pond. There would be a bottom drain in the middle of the deeper 1/3 of the pond and the 2 ft. sides would slope down toward a deeper area of 2 1/2 ft. where the bottom drain will be located. The entire pond would then be sloping toward that drain.

The bottom drain along with the skimmer would go to a Settlement Chamber, next to Birdman's sand and gravel filter, then to a bog that drops the water back into the pond at the deeper end. It is very sandy soil here so some kind of retaining wall will also be required. Was thinking 3 courses of concrete block all the way around mortared together with rebar knocked down into the sand every so often. I am a woman and am well into my 50's so I can't see me mixing concrete...I think those days are over for me, LOL!! Maybe pre-mix? What do you think? A footer would also be an issue so was thinking about laying the block down large square (16"??), flat concrete pavers and mortaring the fist row of block to that for more stability. The rows of blocks with the rebar in them would be filled. Any opinions on that setup would be greatly appreciated.
      Last edited by Shotzi21; 05-13-2014 at 08:14 PM.

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

Marilyn is offline Supporting Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Welcome!

It is absolutely fine to post any kind of pond you are planning.
      I will suggest that you start a thread in the Construction part of the forum with your plans as it might not get as much notice here as it would there. Or I could move this one over there for you?

Whichever you prefer.

Still learning as I go but y'all can call me Marilyn

koi4u2c is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Welcome to Koiphen.

Looking forward to your build. Don't forget to post pictures.

I have always tried to keep some type of pool for my Labs in the summer for them to cool off, but I have only had one who liked to take a sneak swim in my large pond. Most would take a dip in the kiddie pool.
      Nancy

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Thank you! Yes Marilyn, can you please move the thread over? That way, there will not be 2 of the same threads.

Koi4u2c...I do have a kiddie pool for them but I know they would love something bigger! I used to take them to swim in a pond at one of the wildlife refuges here but now the place is pretty well packed with people so I really can't let them off leash anymore.

Marilyn is offline Supporting Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Done!

Still learning as I go but y'all can call me Marilyn

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Thank you Marilyn. Is there a way to change the title of this thread? I was trying to get some input on the retaining wall idea for this pond. I tried to edit it but it put the new title on my first post instead. Maybe I need to copy my post, delete this thread and start a new one to rename it?

richtoybox is offline Administrator
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      Awesome

Done.
      Zone 7 A/B
      Keep your words sweet. You never know when you may have to eat them.
      Richard

richtoybox is offline Administrator
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      Awesome

Rebar needs to be placed in some kind of concrete, and definitely not into the soil. The high pH of concrete prevents corrosion of the reinforcing steel. Driven into the soil will accelerate corrosion and allow it to continue upwards into whatever.
      Zone 7 A/B
      Keep your words sweet. You never know when you may have to eat them.
      Richard

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

I never thought about corrosion and I should have, especially since we have such a high salt content down here. I'm going to either form out the footer and call in a concrete truck or hire a contractor to put it in. I don't trust this sand at all and is why I asked. I guess I needed to hear...."stop trying to cut corners and put in the footer". LOL!!

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Concerning the retaining wall and bottom drain pipe.... do you take the pipe under the footer or lay the first course of blocks partially under ground and on their side and run the pipe through one of the block holes to come out on the other side of the wall?
      Last edited by Shotzi21; 05-18-2014 at 08:51 AM.

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

Cheryl is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

The BD pipe goes under the footer unless you want to lose depth and backfill a bit.

Cheryl

Nightstorm is offline Supporting Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by Shotzi21 View Post
      Concerning the retaining wall and bottom drain pipe.... do you take the pipe under the footer or lay the first course of blocks partially under ground and on their side and run the pipe through one of the block holes to come out on the other side of the wall?
      You can do it either way - I presume you're talking about the filter pit and not the pond itself. Cheryl's right, if your only reason for digging everything one block deeper is to lay a block on its side, then just run the BD under the footer instead and you don't have to dig quite as much. In my case, the depth of my filter pit was dictated by the sieves that I was going to place in them. I actually ran the BDs through the first row of blocks, and ran a drainage pipe under the footer to keep the pit dry.

-- Chris

Nightstorm's Pond Build

"The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously." -- Hubert H. Humphrey

"It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change" - C. Darwin

jrlaubin is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Since it is not going to be a deep pond, you could also make it above ground with stacked, bolted, pt 4x4's. 8x12 would be an easy size..maybe an entry in and out again of 4x4's
      only a weekend project

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

jrlaubin....Above ground 4 x 4's is a great idea! I was thinking about making 1 foot under and 1 foot above.

About the bottom drain pipe...I was talking about coming out of the pond. I assumed it went under or through the retaining wall and up the dirt. Even though I read and read, for some reason I'm still a bit confused. LOL. Today I got some Styrofoam cups and straws and set up a gravity S/C in my sink. When it comes to mechanically inclined, I'm severely lacking.

Thank you all for the replies.

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007