Thread: How to cut pvc to keep extending a 45 angle

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
      bobbd is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

How to cut pvc to keep extending a 45 angle

I have my bottom drain going to a 4 inch pipe then a 4 inch 45 elbow then a 3 foot section of 4 inch pvc comming up out of ground i had to raise my cetus sieve because i raised the perimeter of the pond so i had to cut the pipe and glue on a collar to co ntinue running the pipework. When i cut the other end of the pipe i cant get it square so the pipe comming out of ground butts up all the way around inside the collar. Any one know how to cut this correctly?

sandthemall is offline Supporting Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Can you draw a picture of what is happening and the space you have to work with? Sounds like you are cutting a 4" pipe already in the ground.

Not knowing what exactly you are up against:

Could you place a fernco rubber coupling on the end as a guide, clamp it down and cut against it?
      Cut slowly so you keep the cut straight.
      Last edited by sandthemall; 05-08-2014 at 11:55 PM.

Bindi is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

If you are using a blunt hand saw to cut it then you are putting too much pressure on the saw as it cuts and it will cut at an angle. Mark the pipe and if you have a small grinder with a cut off wheel then use it slowly and carefully and it will cut clean. You will need to use a file to smooth off the edges after for a good fit.
      Bindi
      ------

"When it comes to breeding koi, there are no failures, just a delay in getting where you want to go, and in the process towards success, another chapter learned... Dick Benbow"

BWG is offline Senior Member
      is 999875421235621456478541.1

Feeling:
      Happy

For pipe already installed and in a difficult position find a piece of paper or light weight thin cardboard long enough to wrap around the pipe. Wrap around the pipe where the cut is to be made and align the edges. Aligning the edges will make it square. Mark around the paper edge with a suitable marker. Now cut carefully with your saw and stay on the line.

I have wood clamp on miter boxes that I made for various pipe sizes and use a Sawzall.
      Last edited by BWG; 05-09-2014 at 02:34 AM.

kby103 is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

I use a 14" cutoff blade. You have to rotate the pipe at the end of the cut. I then rotate the cut portion of the pipe against the side of the cutoff blade to remove burs and put a slight bevel on the pipe to assist in assembling.

Jim

Nightstorm is offline Supporting Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

I think you're saying that you're having difficulty making a straight, 360 degree cut on the pipe. I often have this issue as well.

What I do is mark it in one spot, make the most level cut that I can, and then go back with an angle grinder. I have a cement grinding "blade" on it. The PVC is so soft that you can easily touch any "high points" with it and it will grind/melt it down, not too fast and not too slow. I just grind it down a little, then fit the next connection over it, look for high spots, and repeat. Usually doesn't take very long.

-- Chris

Nightstorm's Pond Build

"The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously." -- Hubert H. Humphrey

"It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change" - C. Darwin

bobbd is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

This is pipe comming out of ground ona 45 degree angle i only want to continue same angle another 3 ft up out of ground but i cant get the right cut on end of pipe to butt up all the way around inside collar.
      Attached Images Attached Images    

Bindi is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Bindi
      ------

"When it comes to breeding koi, there are no failures, just a delay in getting where you want to go, and in the process towards success, another chapter learned... Dick Benbow"