• Tired

Thread: Advice on new pond plans

JayW is offline Junior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Advice on new pond plans

Hi Guys

I have been re-thinking my plans and have implemented a few changes. Please can I get some advise on the general layout and if what I have designed will work?

A bit of proposed pond info -

10' X 8' with a floor sloping from 4'-5' which will give me circa 2200 UK Gallons (2700 US)

I will be looking for a 1-2HP external pump which should be enough then to have the 4" skimmer and 4" BD connected via 3-way valve to regulate flow.

I was originally going to have a 4' pit next to the pond on the other side of a concrete block wall however as the sieve needs to be roughly 1" above water level I will be having the sieve and pump area at a level which allows this and then the pump will flow up to the Filter area which will again allow the filters to be raised a bit higher (roughly 12" above water level) This will then flow from the S/G to 2 x 2" TPR's roughly 2-3' below water level and this area of the pit will be level with pond bottom.

I have placed various valves however not sure if this is enough, correct location, or even the correct valves to use? Would the ball valve before the sieve allow the BD line to be purged or do you have to have a knife valve?

I also need to incorporate a UV into the system somehow but don't know how I can pipe this in using 1 pump? If I place the UV before the first filter the water wont be the cleanest but if I place it after the S/G I don't think there would be enough flow to get it through UV and back to TPR's? I know it would be better to have another system with 2nd pump however i'm trying to limit costs at the moment, the only other pump we have is a 8000 submersible.

Regarding the filters, would one aerated K1 barrel and a S/G barrel be enough? Also would them both being (top of filter 12" above water level) generate enough flow for the TPR's? Would this work or would the K1 need to be higher than the S/G?

Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks!

birdman is offline DIY Savant
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

You need to pump feed the S/G filter 1st and let it flow to the M/B. Or run them in parallel.
      Either way you sure don't need a pump that big. A 1/8 horse pump would be more than enough.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Thanks! What sort of gph is that? I was thinking something over 6000 to cope with BD and skimmer?

Would it be advisable to run them in parallel then so S/G is last or does it not matter if the water went through this first? Just thought it would be taking things out that would be beneficial for bio filter?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Actually come to think about it if the pond is under 3000gal then a 3000gph pump would be fine for once an hour turnover..

I think I was getting confused with how much flow a 4" BD can handle and a skimmer, but I think I read somewhere that a skimmer could really do with 2000gph through it.

icu2 is online now Administrator ~ WWKC Treasurer
      is usually here but if not I'm
      probably off flying

Feeling:
      Piratey

I think the river flow designs work well with a little more than once an hour...
      If it were mine, I think I'd aim for 4k/gph pump, 2500gph from the BD, 1500gph from the skimmer,
      and then do like Birdman said and run the MB and S/G filters in parallel from the pump, so 2000gph to each, and
      then split the outputs so each barrel feeds a separate tpr.

--Steve
      Find more about Weather in Poulsbo, WA

"It is far better to be alone, than to be in bad company." --George Washington

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Thanks for the input, sounds good! Any way of incorporating a UV somehow or would 2nd pump / more powerful pump be needed?

probably off flying

Feeling:
      Piratey

You could do it with one... if the UV flow capacity is less than the pump, just make a bypass with ball valves on each end of the UV and
      on the bypass itself, so you can adjust the flow to whatever you need.
      Attached Images Attached Images  
      --Steve

birdman is offline DIY Savant
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

The EVO 55 watt UV (made in England) would easily handle all the flow from a 4000 gph pump. Just put it in-line on the outlet of your pump going to your filters.

sandthemall is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Can you 'wye' the skimmer into the BD before the sieve? How about an ultrasieve rather than a cetus? A few pounds more but you get more flow, an extra input and a smaller footprint.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Hi Guys

Had a bit of a change in plans, basically due to budget we wont be using a sieve and so we are back to using a SC. We are going to go for the 330 gallon IBC (Tote) container as a SC. This will be gravity fed from a 4" aerated BD.

Water will leave this SC via a 4" outlet which will reduce into two 3" inlets for the 55 gallon barrel filters in parallel, one will have moving media and one will have static.

Water will then exit the two barrels via 3" and reduce to 2" and enter the pump, the skimmer will also be connected here via a 3-way valve. The pump we are thinking about is the Ecomax DM 20000 (4400gph) http://www.absolute-koi.com/prod2166.html

The pump will then feed the S/G barrel filters via 2" inlets at the bottom following Birdman's specifications. This is where I get stuck, I am still not sure weather to have TPR's or just have water flowing back into pond via simple above water pipes for the simple life?. If i go for TPR's will 2 be enough? I don't want to run pipe all around the pond as it will be raised slightly and I think hiding the pipework will be difficult. If i have the skimmer positioned where it is and have the corners rounded will the two be okay? Also each S/G will have 2" outlet so not sure where more TPR's could come from unless i reduced them to 1.5 and had 4 from two barrels?

The footprint of the filter pit is also quite limited so so if I could get away with less filters I would but not sure how i could do this while maintaining good flow. Ideally one S/G would be better for space but then a single 2" outlet from this inst going to give me decent turnover is it?

I was also thinking about plumbing the SC, S/G filters and bottom drain purge to a 3" waste pipe that will run to a drain, only problem with this is the pipe will be going up to ground level (still 2' below water level) where is exits the filter pit? is this a problem if the filters are in the pit?

Any thoughts or suggestions?

probably off flying

Feeling:
      Piratey

Just some things I noticed...
      If you go away from the stream flow design and change the tpr locations, move the BD to the
      center and don't slope the floor.
      Don't try to tie the s/g filters together, but run a seperate line to each tpr.
      And I'd move the far side tpr to this location to get a move even flow around the BD. The tpr's
      are important and I wouldn't consider having the returns above pond level a substitue for them...
      if you do that you need both types imo.

Name:  pond2_zpsfde3edf5.jpg
Views: 90
Size:  64.6 KB

As far as waste water outlet level, know that when you have to empty the SC and clean it, or any of
      the filters for that matter, they'll only drain down as far as the level of that pipes output... so if
      the waste pipe outlet rises to be half way up the SC, the SC will only drain down that far.

--Steve

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Thanks for the input.

The only thing concerning me about the TPRs is how to physically get the pipes from filter pit to the locations without going around the outside perimeter of the raised section and down. This would mean making the block work double skinned with pipe in the middle.

I will have to rethink the waste as I want a smooth simple solution without using a sump and pump.

probably off flying

Feeling:
      Piratey

I'm not sure what or if your going to excavate for the pond, but if you are, one way is to just go across the floor...

Name:  Pond4 017.jpg
Views: 68
Size:  140.9 KB

Name:  Pond4 022.jpg
Views: 66
Size:  156.3 KB
      --Steve