• Sneaky
  • Tired

Thread: Barley straw question

jbarret42 is offline Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Barley straw question

String algae was really heavy last year and already is showing up this year. On one hand it prevents microscopic algae but it still is ugly. This year(today as a matter of fact) I put in 24oz of barley straw extract and a 50lb bail of actual barley.
      What, if anything, can I expect? Anything bad about this?

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

KoiKid55 is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

well it will make your water look like iced tea and a 50 lb bale how big is your pond thats as big as a large rectangle bale..
      Well I messed that one up
      BULKHEAD Y U NO WORK

Music Makes Life Kenny Chesney Zac Brow Skrilex Enimem

richtoybox is offline Administrator
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      Awesome

From what the internet tells us, the product of the decaying barley straw that does the algae killing is hydrogen peroxide and some on here use it, sodium percarbonate which breaks down in water to hydrogen peroxide and sodium carbonate, or hot tub oxydizer, which is very concentrated hydrogen peroxide. None of these have the side effect of having a bale of slime, but the dose is not continuous.
      Zone 7 A/B
      Keep your words sweet. You never know when you may have to eat them.
      Richard

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

I have it in a black mesh bag under a waterfall, so you can't see it

montwila is offline Supporting Member
      is Busy

Feeling:
      Tired

Quote Originally Posted by jbarret42 View Post
      I have it in a black mesh bag under a waterfall, so you can't see it
      But as the straw begins to break down it is going to become very nasty and unhealthy for the pond, whether you can see it or not.

As Rich points out, the chemical that does the work in helping eliminate the algae is H2O2. Why have a bag of nasty straw/sludge in the pond if you do not need it?

There are several threads here on KP that discuss using H2O2. They will provide the knowledge you need to do this safely.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by montwila View Post
      But as the straw begins to break down it is going to become very nasty and unhealthy for the pond, whether you can see it or not.

As Rich points out, the chemical that does the work in helping eliminate the algae is H2O2. Why have a bag of nasty straw/sludge in the pond if you do not need it?

There are several threads here on KP that discuss using H2O2. They will provide the knowledge you need to do this safely.
      I thought the breaking down was the good part... that's when an enzymel gets released. I heard it's not H2O2 that kills the algae, but an enzyme. The same enzyme that breaks down the cellular walls of the straw is the same one that breaks down the cellular walls of the string algae. Any links to evidence backing up the claims made about it being dangerous and/or that it is H2O2 that is released?

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

I'm not saying you all are wrong, but I need more than just people's opinions. I've read plenty to say Barley is good and used often in European koi ponds. Honestly, I'll be the first to admit I don't know one way or another. If you have documentation to back up what you say, I'd appreciate it.

Wolfhound is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

I used barley straw last year. It didn't seem to do anything good or bad. I ended up tossing it after a month or so and using pp to fix the algae problem.

Sweetwater is offline Supporting Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

I'm not saying you all are wrong, but I need more than just people's opinions. I've read plenty to say Barley is good and used often in European koi ponds. Honestly, I'll be the first to admit I don't know one way or another. If you have documentation to back up what you say, I'd appreciate it.
      I did some research a while ago about this subject, but deleted my bookmarks because I don't use it. Here is a paper by Carol L. Lembe, Professor of Botany at Perdue University.

http://www.btny.purdue.edu/pubs/apm/apm-1-w.pdf

To me she says it MAY work for SOME types of algae, but it doesn't kill existing algae, only may stop it from reproducing.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

I thought the breaking down was the good part... that's when an enzymel gets released. I heard it's not H2O2 that kills the algae, but an enzyme. The same enzyme that breaks down the cellular walls of the straw is the same one that breaks down the cellular walls of the string algae. Any links to evidence backing up the claims made about it being dangerous and/or that it is H2O2 that is released?
      I don't have links but I read differing articles. Some saying it was the H2O2, others saying it basically caused a bacterial bloom which consumed the nutrients and starved the algae. Either way, I think it's easier/faster to use H2O2 (or pp). Or to use a carbon source (such as calcium acetate or even cheap vodka) to create a bacterial bloom, although I've only used those approaches on aquariums not on a pond.

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

RaiderWife is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      Crazy

Also an issue is it takes a long time for the barley to start breaking down. I too have had issues with string algae and usually stick to the hydrogen peroxide.
      º°`°º¤ø,¸¸, ><((((º> º°`°ºø,¸¸, ><((((º> ¤ø,¸¸, ><((((º> º°`°º¤ø,¸¸, ><((((º>

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Using h2o2 is a quick fix, sure,, but how is barley bad? I know the anecdotal science is there saying it works... Why wouldn't I start with h2o2 and barley extract then allow the bail to be the maintenance?

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

I'm just not willing to throw the baby out with the bath water just yet

Sweetwater is offline Supporting Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Using h2o2 is a quick fix, sure,, but how is barley bad? I know the anecdotal science is there saying it works... Why wouldn't I start with h2o2 and barley extract then allow the bail to be the maintenance?
      I don't think it can be both anecdotal and science. It would have to be either one or the other.
      But you are correct. There is no definitive science that says it does not work. If you think it works for you then by all means use it.
      So how do I think it is bad? It adds DOCs to the water as it breaks down. It takes about a month to start working. It doesn't work on all types of algae. Depending where you place it in your pond it could go anaerobic and release hydrogen sulphide.

montwila is offline Supporting Member
      is Busy

Feeling:
      Tired

jbarret42:

We are here to help. That is why I suggested that you do the research yourself on other threads here. So you can make up your own mind, there is a lot of personnel experience here. I cannot tell you about your pond, simply what does and does not work for some. My research on the matter and what I recommend is to skip the step of putting barely straw in your pond and use the H2O2 that it creates, or PP or even Algefix which has its own problems basically being copper. I have no references to share as I am not a computer person but from memory. Yes it creates an enzyme that attacks the cellular structure by using H2O2. Basically the same as our white blood cells in our bodies attack things by using H2O2 (that it creates for this purpose) to destroy the cellular wall of what it is attacking and thus destroying that cell. That is what I remember and so rather than use barely straw that becomes nasty and undesirable in the pond, I would just use H2O2 for algae control. Very short answer and I believe there were papers that I read to come to this conclusion. I am not selling anything. As sweetwater says it will take a couple of weeks for the barely straw to actually start doing something so you have time to read for yourself. Couple of good clubs down there in TX. Are you a member of a club?

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

I'm just not willing to throw the baby out with the bath water just yet
      I don't think anyone is asking you to. Just giving personal experience. When I asked this question some people pm'd me that it works for them, they didn't want to get into a debate about it. I have no reason to doubt their word, but it didn't do anything for my pond. Give it a chance, if it helps your pond great, if not try something else.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Thanks for the responses. I'll let it ride for a month and see

DarleneD is offline Supporting Member
      is crocheting

Feeling:
      Meh

I used barley straw as a new ponder. It did absolutely nothing for the algae. It turned into a moldy, slimy mess that turned the water brown. My advice to you is to not use it.

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007