• Sneaky
  • Tired
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: QT is maxed out - I need advice and ideas

koiman1950 is offline Supporting Member
      is semi retired

Feeling:
      Tired

Oh, okay. I wasn't sure what you meant, but YES I would get that set up PRONTO. There's really no real startup time for these either. They should begin off-gassing ammonia right away. We've installed several of his showers, and not one showed a "cycle" time. You also might consider a larger version for the main pond!?!
      Mike

check out our website at: http://www.pond-life.net

"Our goal is to assist with emergency and Koi health issues, as well as educate on best practices. Please help us gain a clear picture by giving the original poster time to answer our questions before offering opinions and suggested treatments."

ademink is offline Supporting Member ~ Koi Health Care Committee Member
      is looking at revamping
      filtration...yet again.

Feeling:
      ----

DON'T SAY THAT...rofl....Zak said that the half shower would be the right size for my pond. I just bought it last year. I think I'll cry now. I can't afford another one!

I'm going to need a heater for this ($#(*$% intex pool. I currently have two 200w ones and I'm sure that won't be enough

is semi retired

Feeling:
      Tired

Quote Originally Posted by ademink View Post
      DON'T SAY THAT...rofl....Zak said that the half shower would be the right size for my pond. I just bought it last year. I think I'll cry now. I can't afford another one!

I'm going to need a heater for this ($#(*$% intex pool. I currently have two 200w ones and I'm sure that won't be enough
      Well, what is the actual size of the shower unit? I know his full size one handles roughly up to 12000gph. If your pond truly holds as many gallons as you state, then I wouldn't settle for anything smaller than a capability of at least 7500gph.
      Mike

"Our goal is to assist with emergency and Koi health issues, as well as educate on best practices. Please help us gain a clear picture by giving the original poster time to answer our questions before offering opinions and suggested treatments."

is looking at revamping
      filtration...yet again.

Feeling:
      ----

"24 1/2" x 20 1/2" x 20" tall and contains more than 1 1/2 cu ft of Cermedia which provides over 150,000 sq ft of surface area for biological bacteria colonization. Based on nitrification testing this filter can handle 700 grams (1 1/2 lbs) of 40% protein food per day if the pond water is circulated through the filter twice per hour. The water flow rate should be between 4,000 - 8,000 gph. The half-sized Zakki Shower comes standard with a single 2" pipe nipples for the water inlet and has a single 4" pipe nipple on the bottom for water to return to the pond."

Based on my pump and pond size...he said this one. Mine has a weir opening at the bottom...not a pipe. It was extended so it can reach the top of the biofalls.

sandthemall is offline Supporting Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Here's a solution that might work. Buy some bulkheads and some 3/4" pipe and install an overflow on all your QT tanks. The tanks may need to be raised to allow you to plumb the overflow out somewhere (through a wall via grommet).
      Buy a couple of big blue whole house filter housings and some GAC (granulated activated carbon) filters. Constantly flow water in from a spigot and out automatically. With a globe valve installed you can regulate flow. This way you can use the filtration you have and just increase flow if stocking levels go up.

I have a 3 stage big blue (4.5" x 20") unit in my filter pit. I ran it full bore one cold day to refill after a filter backwash and forgot to throttle it down before I left. 12 hours later I remembered what I had done. My tap water tests at least .25ppm ammonia from chloramines. I came back to find my green water crystal clear and my fish fine. The big water change did them good as they were more actively swimming about the entire pond.

The 3 stages on mine are: sidement filter>GAC>carbon block. If the flow is slow enough, you can greatly reduce much of the risk. You may be able to get away with 2 GACs inline.
      Last edited by sandthemall; 04-07-2014 at 01:29 AM. Reason: Clarity

is looking at revamping
      filtration...yet again.

Feeling:
      ----

Thank you for that suggestion sandthemall!!!

HEY, MY NITRITES ARE BETWEEN .5 AND 1.0 TODAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Let all the people rejoice!!

Need to order a/more heaters for this intex coming in. Suggestions?? I currently have (2) 200w
      Last edited by ademink; 03-12-2014 at 10:03 AM. Reason: I have two heaters...not one.

is looking at revamping
      filtration...yet again.

Feeling:
      ----

Let the rejoicing cease. Looks like nitrites are down..ammonia is UP (is this possible?) and nitrates are still the same.

Ok...so the Intex pool will NOT fit.

I'm going to buy another 300g tank today and I'm going to daisy chain them with the filter output from the bottom tank returning to the shower at the top of the upper tank.

is semi retired

Feeling:
      Tired

"24 1/2" x 20 1/2" x 20" tall and contains more than 1 1/2 cu ft of Cermedia which provides over 150,000 sq ft of surface area for biological bacteria colonization. Based on nitrification testing this filter can handle 700 grams (1 1/2 lbs) of 40% protein food per day if the pond water is circulated through the filter twice per hour. The water flow rate should be between 4,000 - 8,000 gph. The half-sized Zakki Shower comes standard with a single 2" pipe nipples for the water inlet and has a single 4" pipe nipple on the bottom for water to return to the pond."

Based on my pump and pond size...he said this one. Mine has a weir opening at the bottom...not a pipe. It was extended so it can reach the top of the biofalls.
      Based on what you state the size of your main pond being, and what I highlighted above, you would have to flow 24,000gph through the filter for it to handle that amount/% of protein level. The filter is rated for flow rates from 4-8k/hr so it would handle a pond of between 2000and 4000 gal, based on the specs provided. I'm sorry, but based on this info, either what Zac told you was incorrect, or this info is. Of course, you could increase the amount/wt of food fed by reducing the % of protein, but still, this filter is TOO SMALL to be a stand alone bio filter for your main pond. I've installed a few of Zac's shower units and am quite familiar with their performance.
      Mike

C C is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

I'm close to you like 2hours south and have an 8' tank you can buy or borrow....if interested

is semi retired

Feeling:
      Tired

Let the rejoicing cease. Looks like nitrites are down..ammonia is UP (is this possible?) and nitrates are still the same.

Ok...so the Intex pool will NOT fit.

I'm going to buy another 300g tank today and I'm going to daisy chain them with the filter output from the bottom tank returning to the shower at the top of the upper tank.
      Quote Originally Posted by C C View Post
      I'm close to you like 2hours south and have an 8' tank you can buy or borrow....if interested
      Unfortunately, that's her current dilemna. It's just too big to fit her current space.
      Mike

is looking at revamping
      filtration...yet again.

Feeling:
      ----

You're awesome, CC - I truly appreciate the kind gesture!!

is looking at revamping
      filtration...yet again.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by koiman1950 View Post
      Based on what you state the size of your main pond being, and what I highlighted above, you would have to flow 24,000gph through the filter for it to handle that amount/% of protein level. The filter is rated for flow rates from 4-8k/hr so it would handle a pond of between 2000and 4000 gal, based on the specs provided. I'm sorry, but based on this info, either what Zac told you was incorrect, or this info is. Of course, you could increase the amount/wt of food fed by reducing the % of protein, but still, this filter is TOO SMALL to be a stand alone bio filter for your main pond. I've installed a few of Zac's shower units and am quite familiar with their performance.
      Please shoot me. lol

is looking at revamping
      filtration...yet again.

Feeling:
      ----

I forgot to add that my ammonia is at zero on the ammonia alert disk, the nitrites have dropped ALL DAY to .5 (instead of 5 whew) and nitrates are at 20+ppm (not 20 and not quite 40).

I *think*..................maybe it IS cycling? How high should I expect my nitrAtes to be?

is semi retired

Feeling:
      Tired

Actually, I agree, it's cycling. Nitrates can be as high as 100ppm and not hurt anything, but ideally, you'd like to keep them as -20 as much as possible. I think, once you get that shower hooked up and flowing, you'll see a decrease in all three levels as it should gas off the ammonia, therefore, not allowing a Nitrite reading and much lower Nitrates. You go, girl!
      Mike

is looking at revamping
      filtration...yet again.

Feeling:
      ----

Thanks for hanging in there w/ me, Mike!

Fish are still flashing and I don't know why. I'm choosing to ignore them at this point. Shut up, you finned freaks...I have to fit a bulkhead!

is looking at revamping
      filtration...yet again.

Feeling:
      ----

ARE WE THERE YET???

Name:  IMG_20140315_212124392.jpg
Views: 96
Size:  69.0 KB

RichToyBox is offline Administrator ~ WWKC BOD ~
      Koi Health Care Committee Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      Awesome

Looking good.

Zone 7 A/B
      Keep your words sweet. You never know when you may have to eat them.
      Richard

is looking at revamping
      filtration...yet again.

Feeling:
      ----

There aren't enough keys on my keyboard to tell you how miserable this project was. It literally took two full days. If it could leak, it did...if everyone could be out of 2" bulk heads...they were. Cut the hole too high..had to install a second pipe from the top tank etc etc etc...it goes on and on. I even was zapped twice when a new float switch had something wrong w/ it and had electrified the water.

Praying it all holds together!!!

is semi retired

Feeling:
      Tired

From what I can see from the picture, the flow from those two 2" pipes seems quite low. So, that would mean the shower isn't getting enough flow to perform the way it should. Do you have an external pump feeding that Tetra/Laguna pressure filter? What size is the pump? and what is the resulting gph flowing from the two 2" pipes. Can you do a bucket test and provide at least a rough "guess" on this?
      Mike

is looking at revamping
      filtration...yet again.

Feeling:
      ----

It's a submersible - Tetra DHP 4200. It's the max size that can be put on the filter. The "two 2" pipes" that you are seeing isn't what you think you are seeing. lol There is one upper 2" pipe but the water stream you see coming out of it is actually the hose filling the lower tank. That pipe has nothing that comes out of it b/c it was put in too high to work properly (too long to type it all). The water you see coming out is flowing from a 3" pipe.
      Andrea
      Koi Health Care Committee Member

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast