• Tired
  • Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Rutt Roooh ..Wags pond rebuild

Mr Wags is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Net Rock

With the old pond another thing I did not like was netting fish with the long handle nets with the steep deep sides. It seemed like you were always leaning out over the pond and many times I would just run a board over to stand on but inevitably they would always swim to the other side... so out comes the net to the other side ...and again ... and again....

So this is my solution: I found a piece of high cascade granite that has a pretty nice shape and fairly flat textured top. I removed some material from the forward sides and front at about a 45 deg angle to lighten for counterbalance and the polished it up with 50 grit to smooth out the bottom so as to minimize and damage done by jumping/bumping koi. I then slotted the rock to fit over and be mortared to the block wall when filled. It will be one block higher than the top course so actually will not be submerged but just above the water. It came out at 34" long by 16" wide with about 16" extending over the wall and about 220 pounds (bathroom scale) so 2 people should be able to lift it over and set it on the block. I am really happy with the way it turned out and as an added bonus it might be a nice place to view/watch/feed from.

Name:  DSCN5664.jpg
Views: 368
Size:  168.0 KB

Name:  DSCN5670.jpg
Views: 364
Size:  158.0 KB

Name:  DSCN5674.jpg
Views: 364
Size:  155.5 KB

Name:  DSCN5671.jpg
Views: 367
Size:  154.8 KB

Name:  DSCN5672.jpg
Views: 366
Size:  153.0 KB

Lester

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

Cheryl is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Wow Lester, really cool! That looks like it took a lot if work, it's going to look great!

Cheryl

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

LOL ....yep a lot ... Wifey "How long you going to be? You have been cutting and pounding on that rock for four nights straight" LOl ..." It is granite babe! Why do you think headstones cost so much!"

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

I still have a little block , rebar, digging work to do but talked to my concrete guy about how much lead time he needs. 2-3 weeks because I got quoted slow season prices .. so I have to work around his schedule. I have been trying to finish most of the fab up of the mechanicals including any piping sub assemblies that I know will not change. I am trying to get it to the point of just having to do trimming and then assembly once the pour is done, I do not want to have to do a bunch of component building then.

sorry about the background noise I did it on my camera.

Testing of the 250G MB and jump restart cycling of half my K1/Bio chips, right now it is processing 6-8ppm of ammonia in about 6 hours so is cooking off nicely.

Name:  DSCN5675.jpg
Views: 313
Size:  78.2 KB
      Purchased most of the valves and fittings I need to complete the final plumbing. over 2K in this box alone!

Name:  DSCN5684.jpg
Views: 314
Size:  72.2 KB
      Name:  DSCN5687.jpg
Views: 311
Size:  67.8 KB
      Bye Bye ugly single pane aluminum framed picture window ....Pella is coming out to install a new bow window, since the pond is 22" from this window I am excited about being able to keep an eye on the koi from inside the living room.

Lester
      Last edited by Mr Wags; 08-10-2014 at 11:03 PM.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Name:  DSCN5668.jpg
Size:  146.9 KB
      Cleaned up my Cermedia and got it installed into the shower so it is ready to go.

Name:  DSCN5683.jpg
Views: 311
Size:  79.8 KB
      Name:  DSCN5681.jpg
Size:  77.8 KB
      Welded up my shower bypass manifold ...have to admit it is almost a piece of art. twin 3" lines into a 6"

Name:  DSCN5677.jpg
Views: 312
Size:  112.2 KB
      The lay up of the shower return circuit. Use the 3-ways to control the flow during normal operation the two 3" lines will go up to the shower but I will be able to to bypass the shower if I need to by closing the 4" knife valves and turning the 3-way to go direct flow from the pumps. With The tee after I hope to pull some of the foam coming off the showers and it has a scraper plate welded inside of it. It will be threaded so I can experiment and change stuff out if I need to or in the advent it does not work as planned I can always cap it.

Lester

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

I'm envious of your box of plumbing parts, LOL! Good idea to put a box window in, that will be really nice.

Cheryl

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

The last thing I need to fab up is my distribution manifold that goes between my RDF and the pumps. The left is how it is currently planned but have been mulling the idea of placing the 250G S&G after the 250G moving bed to catch the sloughed off biofilm before it passes through the pond but would need to obviously move the pump to before the S&G and was wondering if I can pull through the 250G MB and still balance the flows.(Not shown but there will be ball valves on both sides of the pumps) The reason is I would need to change one of the exit lines off the manifold from 3" to 4". I would be pulling from the bottom of my 250G MB with a 4" line to the pump right before the 250G S&G so that might minimize the draw down effect. I am kind of leaning towards doing it this anyhow because if it does/will not work I could always neck down the 4" line and go with the original plan. thoughts?

Name:  Dist Man.jpg
Size:  67.4 KB
      Name:  Bob Marley MB.jpg
Size:  88.4 KB

Lester

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Name:  DSCN5692.jpg
Views: 261
Size:  120.6 KB
      New 5 Panel Pella Bow window that replaced the old single pane aluminum frame picture window ..... I am talking about some serious wood... even though the window is vinyl! Now for the long awaited paint.
      Name:  DSCN5689.jpg
Views: 262
Size:  87.3 KB
      Pond view from inside!

Lester

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Milestone Today

Well I have reached a milestone today in that all the items needed for completion have been procured and all mechanical components have been fabricated. I may need some pipe and a oddball fitting here and there and I am going to be close on my concrete block but other than that ... done ... done ... DONE!
      I present to you the finale item that I needed to fabricate, the pump manifold, it goes between the RDF and my bank of pumps.
      Name:  DSCN5693.jpg
Views: 220
Size:  132.6 KB

All the major and fancy/tricky plumbing items have been made and are in sub assemblies like above so when it comes time to plumb I hope that I will not have to stop and fab anything up.

Lester

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

icu2 is offline Administrator ~ WWKC President
      ~ WWKC Treasurer
      is sorry otters exist

Feeling:
      Annoyed

Nice work!!
      Can't wait to watch this come together...

P.S. That honey is absolutely amazing!
      --Steve

Koiphen 2021 Koi Person of the Year!

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Spring Update

Well since the other two musketeers of the NW Motley Pond Procrastinators Club Dan and Cheryl posted updates I figured I might as well too!

First two are of the double rock wall of fort koi landscaping coming in.
      Name:  DSCN5720.jpg
Views: 151
Size:  176.5 KB

Name:  DSCN5721.jpg
Size:  146.5 KB

Measured my son and installed a rock escaped step, mortared up a block support post ,added a Stainless steel handle, and installed one of my brass bunker lights by it. The lights are hooded and will be about 5-6 inches above the waterline.
      Name:  DSCN5719.jpg
Views: 155
Size:  128.3 KB

Another shot from inside.
      Name:  DSCN5726.jpg
Views: 150
Size:  100.8 KB

Finished busting up the old cement pad around the old bottom drain and have started to sort out and save various size rocks I will be using on my 250G S&G filter.
      Name:  DSCN5727.jpg
Views: 152
Size:  182.8 KB

Lester

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Whoo hoo! Glad to see you back at it! The race is on, although if we were taking bets, I would put my money on Dan, I think he is already ahead of us!

Cheryl

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

I finally got motivated to dig the 6 feet down behind the block wall to install my return manifold coming off the shower returning oxygenated water just above the floor on the 10k circuit.
      Cut holes in the block just above the old footing to fit the 3- 3" return lines through and backfilled it in.
      Name:  DSCN5730.jpg
Size:  141.3 KB

Name:  DSCN5731.jpg
Views: 148
Size:  113.4 KB

The 6" return manifold pipe from the top side ( If you look closely at the 6"-4" Tee you can see the scraper plate I welded inside, hopefully this will catch most of the foam if any is coming off the shower. With this design I did away with any falling return water into the pond and went with all below surface returns to try and do away with any foam.
      Name:  DSCN5718.jpg
Views: 147
Size:  134.6 KB

I have started busting out the pond side face of the bottom row of blocks and knocking/rounding off the 2" lip on the footing were the 2 " pink foam sat for the liner pond. (Currently about 2/3rds done.)
      Name:  DSCN5738.jpg
Views: 149
Size:  146.5 KB

Lester

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by Cheryl View Post
      Whoo hoo! Glad to see you back at it! The race is on, although if we were taking bets, I would put my money on Dan, I think he is already ahead of us!

Cheryl
      Yep I have been up a couple times to help with some things and that's who I am putting my money on too!

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

I got the skimmer installed and its 4" line heated, bent, and transitioned through the wall. Holes where cut and all 3 of the mid-water pickup flanges are in.

Name:  DSCN5725.jpg
Views: 149
Size:  157.0 KB
      Skimmer

Name:  DSCN5729.jpg
Views: 145
Size:  113.0 KB
      Position of the 3 mid-water pickups and skimmer from the inside.

Name:  DSCN5723.jpg
Size:  135.6 KB
      From the outside, towards the bottom you see the 3 4" mid- water pickups and the long 4" line above is coming off the skimmer. All 4 of these lines will feed the RDF. If you look close you can see were the old 4" bottom drain came up. I still need to dig up the old line but since it goes under the footer and between the 2nd and 3rd mid-water is were the pipes for the airlift sump will run I want to be able to remove and replace as quick as possible.

Started to measure up and lay out the 6 2" airlift sump pipes since they need to be narrow to fit between the 2nd and 3rd mid-water but they need to fan or widen out in the pond to were they will be in the final sump location. Since I want the sump is in a straight line I have to figure out and adjust the pipes accordingly.
      Name:  DSCN5743.jpg
Views: 146
Size:  137.9 KB

I also purchased a digital recycling timer to run the airlift
      Name:  DSCN5744.jpg
Size:  124.6 KB

Lester

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

TPR's

Installed most of the 4" TPR return line on the 5k circuit from the 250g S&G/ 250g MB. Put ball valves on all 4 of the 2" returns top be able to adjust the flow as needed. Drilled and epoxied the bolts for one of the joists against the foundation that will support the decking covering the piping runs. Cut the block and install the 4 TPR outlets.
      Name:  DSCN5739.jpg
Views: 148
Size:  121.6 KB

From inside - 2 of the 2" return lines. The higher one is directed at the surface hopefully to help move floating debris towards the skimmer from the dead spot at the narrow end above the floor returns.
      Name:  DSCN5735.jpg
Size:  130.9 KB

The other two return lines.
      Name:  DSCN5734.jpg
Views: 143
Size:  119.7 KB

Lester

vpkoi is offline Senior Member
      is apprhensive

Feeling:
      Cool

Nice welding job , Were ddi you get those shower trays from ? I like the size

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by vpkoi View Post
      Nice welding job , Were ddi you get those shower trays from ? I like the size
      I got these from Steve @ High Desert aka Birdman. these were his small units at the time, I am running cermedia so did not need the larger ones.

powerman is offline Supporting Member
      is Still koi keeping

Feeling:
      ----

making progress... looking good Lester
      DAN

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast