• Tired

Thread: 9,000 GPH Large Zakki Sieve

Zac Penn is offline Supporting Member
      is the owner of Deepwater Koi
      Innovations

Feeling:
      ----

9,000 GPH Large Zakki Sieve

Well the screens have come back from the manufacturer and the first set of filters are almost done. The inlets/outlets and draw latches need to be attached and the domed lids need to be formed but I figured I would post a couple pictures of the progress so far...

24" diameter VS 16" Diameter
      Name:  20140327_141223.jpg
Views: 2632
Size:  66.0 KB

Closer look inside the sieve
      Name:  20140327_141307.jpg
Views: 2277
Size:  79.9 KB

The sieve container is 24" in diameter and the screen will be 18" x 12" and can handle up to 10,000 gph of water flow. The inlets can be customized to whatever size you prefer, but it will be limited to only two inlets to keep the space less crowded. The pump outlets can either be 2" or 3" and once again is limited to two outlets. The waste outlet is going to remain 2" and it has to be located at 180 degrees from the two inlet pipes. The pump outlets can be installed at any location you prefer but it must be at a height of 9" OC from the bottom. The pricing is $2,300 + freight.

Zac
      Last edited by Zac Penn; 03-27-2014 at 02:45 PM.
      Zac Penn.... Not an expert on Pump Testing, no matter what people may think!
      904-288-6199
      Zac@DeepwaterKoi.com
      www.DeepwaterKoi.com

JGS107 is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Why does the pump outlet have to be so high off the bottom? Is there an internal pipe going back down to the bottom of the compartment

Innovations

Feeling:
      ----

Yes the pump outlet have a 90 inside that sucks from the bottom of the container. The elevation of the outlet pipe is needed to regulate the water level inside the sieve.
      904-288-6199
      Zac@DeepwaterKoi.com
      www.DeepwaterKoi.com

Innovations

Feeling:
      ----

I am getting close to shipment on these larger sieves and added a couple photos to the first post to give you a better idea on size. This filter will be able to handle a lot!!!!!
      904-288-6199
      Zac@DeepwaterKoi.com
      www.DeepwaterKoi.com

abuchi123 is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by Zac Penn View Post
      I am getting close to shipment on these larger sieves and added a couple photos to the first post to give you a better idea on size. This filter will be able to handle a lot!!!!!
      Thanks for making me feel tiny.

koiman1950 is offline Supporting Member ~ Koi Health Care Committee Member
      is semi retired

Feeling:
      Tired

Zac

Thanks for the pics and added info. You may be getting a phone call soon on these. What's the production lag time on them and your shower units, currently?
      Mike

check out our website at: http://www.pond-life.net

"Our goal is to assist with emergency and Koi health issues, as well as educate on best practices. Please help us gain a clear picture by giving the original poster time to answer our questions before offering opinions and suggested treatments."

Innovations

Feeling:
      ----

Right now I have a 2 week lead time because spring has sprung early and caught me off guard
      904-288-6199
      Zac@DeepwaterKoi.com
      www.DeepwaterKoi.com

Dravin is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

What is the GPH of the smaller Zakki?

abuchi123 is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by Dravin View Post
      I have one. I believe it is 4500GPH max.

Innovations

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by Dravin View Post
      Quote Originally Posted by abuchi123 View Post
      I have one. I believe it is 4500GPH max.

Yes that is correct. 4500 GPH on the 16" version and 10,000 GPH on the 24" version.
      904-288-6199
      Zac@DeepwaterKoi.com
      www.DeepwaterKoi.com

trumpetdoug is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by Zac Penn View Post
      Yes that is correct. 4500 GPH on the 16" version and 10,000 GPH on the 24" version.
      Just took delivery of the Large Zakki Sieve. I will be posting some pics and video of what I have going on, and how the sieve works. I must say that the unit looks incredible!! Very anxious to see how it performs within the next week or so.

I have been looking for a more efficient way of removing some solids. It looks like I may have found the answer.

Doug - out
      See Our Pond http://www.koiphen.com/forums/showth...ond&highlight=

Blank Check Project - Helping those who stand on that wall. www.blankcheckproject.com

Innovations

Feeling:
      ----

New Plumbing Diagrams for Large Zakki Sieve

I made a few 3D drawings this morning to show how the plumbing should work on the larger sieve. Having multiple inlets and outlets doesn't really change the dynamics too much but pictures will really help explain the system. Please excuse the pipe size difference at the 3-way valves in the drawings. I haven't created 3" 3-way valves in the program yet so you have to deal with 2" ones for the time being

Lets start with a sieve with two inlets and a single pump outlet...
      Name:  Single Pump Overhead.png
Views: 1763
Size:  70.8 KB
      Name:  Single Pump Side.png
Views: 1775
Size:  73.7 KB

In Normal Operation...
      The water is being sucked into the sieve through both of the inlets, over the sieve screen, then out the bottom of the sieve, through the suction 3-way valve, and into the pump. All water is then pushed out verticality through the pressurized 3-way valve and back to the pond. In order to do maintenance on the filter you need a way to release the vacuum pressure on the sieve, and this can be done two ways without having to unplug your water pump. First way to stop the vacuum pressure is by stopping the water flow through the pump by closing a ball valve directly after the pump. If the pump can't push water then it can't suck water either, therefore no more vacuum pressure on the sieve. If the pump isn't flowing water then you will have to manually clean the waste off of the sieve screen with a hose or bucket of water. The second way of releasing the vacuum pressure on the filter is by allowing the water to bypass the Zakki Sieve and go straight into the water pump. This is called placing your sieve into bypass mode.

In Bypass Mode...
      The water is sucked from the pond directly into the suction 3-way valve and then into the pump. By allowing the water to keep flowing around the Zakki Sieve you are able to use the water pump to flush the waste out of the sieve without using a hose or bucket.
      Even though you have two inlets to the filter you only need to setup the bypass line on one side of the inlet.
      The procedure for putting the Zakki Sieve into Bypass Mode is as follows...
      Rotate the suction 3-way valve so the pump sucks directly from the pond and bypasses the sieve
      Close the 3” inlet ball valve on the bypass side of the filter so there is no more vacuum pressure exerted on the sieve
      The other 3” inlet should have a check valve attached to it so when the water stops being sucked into the sieve it will not be allowed to back flow into the pond. If you notice that the check valve doesn’t stay sealed, then simply close the 3” ball valve on the other inlet and that solves that problem.

In Bypass Mode you ca do anything you want maintenance wise with your sieve. You can remove the domed lid, open the waste valve, remove the sieve screen for cleaning, etc...

Placing the sieve back into Normal Operation is the exact opposite procedure…
      Open the 3” inlet ball valve (or both if you closed them both)
      Rotate the suction 3-way valve so the pump now sucks from the bottom of the sieve, and water begins to flow into the top of the sieve as normal.

Sieve Screen Cleaning Mode...
      Flushing the sieve requires the filter to be placed into bypass mode then you can use the water from the pump to flush out the waste.
      Once the filter is in Bypass Mode slowly open the waste ball valve to release the vacuum pressure
      Slowly rotate the pressurized 3-way valve so water can flow into the top of the sieve
      Once the waste has been flushed out, rotate the pressurized 3-way valve back to normal position so water goes back to the pond
      Close the waste ball valve
      Open the 3” inlet ball valve
      Rotate the suction 3-way valve so the pump now sucks from the bottom of the sieve.

Now we have a sieve with two inlets and two pump outlets...
      Name:  Double Pump Overhead.png
Views: 1691
Size:  66.4 KB
      Name:  Double Pump Side.png
Views: 1701
Size:  71.0 KB

In Normal Operation...
      The water is being sucked into the sieve through both of the inlets, over the sieve screen, then out the bottom of the sieve. One of the pumps will have a suction 3-way valve, and the other pump will not. The pump that has the suction 3-way valve will also have a pressurized 3-way valve to push the water through before it goes back to the pond. The other pump will send water through a standard ball valve and back to the pond. In order to do maintenance on the filter you need a way to release the vacuum pressure on the sieve, and this can be done two ways without having to unplug your water pumps. First way to stop the vacuum pressure is by stopping the water flow through both of the pumps by closing a ball valve directly after each pump. If the pumps can't push water then they can't suck water either, therefore no more vacuum pressure on the sieve. If the pumps aren't flowing water then you will have to manually clean the waste off of the sieve screen with a hose or bucket of water. The second way of releasing the vacuum pressure on the filter is by allowing the water to bypass the Zakki Sieve and go straight into one of the water pumps and simply closing the pressured ball valve on the other pump. This is called placing your sieve into bypass mode.

In Bypass Mode...
      The water is sucked from the pond directly into the suction 3-way valve and then into one of the pumps. The second pump will not be flowing water at all because of the closed ball valve after it. By allowing the water to keep flowing around the Zakki Sieve through one of your pumps, you are able to use that water pump to flush the waste out of the sieve without using a hose or bucket.
      Even though you have two inlets to the filter you only need to setup the bypass line on one side of the inlet.
      The procedure for putting the Zakki Sieve into Bypass Mode is as follows...
      Slowly close the pressured ball valve on the non-bypass water pump to stop the water flow
      Then rotate the suction 3-way valve on the other pump so the pump sucks directly from the pond and bypasses the sieve
      Close the 3” inlet ball valve on the bypass side of the filter so there is no more vacuum pressure exerted on the sieve
      The other 3” inlet should have a check valve attached to it so when the water stops being sucked into the sieve it will not be allowed to back flow into the pond. If you notice that the check valve doesn’t stay sealed, then simply close the 3” ball valve on the other inlet and that solves that problem.

In Bypass Mode you ca do anything you want maintenance wise with your sieve. You can remove the domed lid, open the waste valve, remove the sieve screen for cleaning, etc... One important thing to remember though is that the second water pump will not be flowing water so if you don't plan on returning the filter to normal operation within 5 minutes you need to unplug the second water pump so the wet end of the pump doesn't start to heat up. If it will be less than 5 minutes then your pump will just be operating at it's shut-off head point and will not be damaged.

Placing the sieve back into Normal Operation is the exact opposite procedure…
      Rotate the suction 3-way valve so the pump now sucks from the bottom of the sieve
      Then open the ball valve on the second pump so water begins to flow into the top of the sieve and goes through both pumps

Sieve Screen Cleaning Mode...
      Flushing the sieve requires the filter to be placed into bypass mode then you can use the water from the pump to flush out the waste.
      Once the filter is in Bypass Mode slowly open the waste ball valve to release the vacuum pressure
      Slowly rotate the pressurized 3-way valve so water can flow into the top of the sieve
      Once the waste has been flushed out, rotate the pressurized 3-way valve back to normal position so water goes back to the pond
      Rotate the suction 3-way valve so the pump now sucks from the bottom of the sieve
      Then open the ball valve on the second pump so water begins to flow into the top of the sieve and goes through both pumps
      904-288-6199
      Zac@DeepwaterKoi.com
      www.DeepwaterKoi.com

trumpetdoug is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Hey Zac,

Had an interesting question pop-up on my Zakki Sieve thread.

Can a person fill the bottom of the container (sieve) with bio-balls, or something similar? Providing that it (the media) is large enough that it could not exit through the outlet. Not sure it would make a significant difference in my application, but with a smaller pond........maybe?

Doug - out
      See Our Pond http://www.koiphen.com/forums/showth...ond&highlight=

Blank Check Project - Helping those who stand on that wall. www.blankcheckproject.com

Primitive is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

How come it sucks water from pool but not pull the dirty muck from the waste trough?

jimc2142003 is offline Supporting Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

I would think the solids will not fit through the screen. The incoming water over the weir just pushes the waste further down the screen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Primitive is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by jimc2142003 View Post
      I would think the solids will not fit through the screen. The incoming water over the weir just pushes the waste further down the screen.

That's seems to make sense. Looking at the pictures, I kept thinking the waste might creep up and find little openings through.

jimfish98 is offline Supporting Member
      is not losing sleep over the
      opinion of sheep

Feeling:
      ----

The screen has slight gaps on the side that could allow for waste to seep through. I just cut a small strip of cloth from an old towel and put it on each side. The top and bottom come with a weather stripping that block waste from passing on those sides. Beyond that the only other time it could get past the screen (beyond being too small to be captured by the screen) is when the screen is clogged. If it is not cleaned regularly, it will clog and over flow the side walls to the left and right of the screen. The sieve is there to pre-filter for your main filter, so in a case of a clog your filter will not stop, but more strain will be put on your main filter. It has the con of needing to clean your main filter every time it over flows, but as a major pro your filter doesn't stop and water is still being cleaned. The biggest thing is to clean the screen so its not an issue. For myself I just take 2 minutes to clean it every day when I am feeding. Put some food in and watch them eat as I clear the screen.

Diamond Lifetime Member #95!
      Just because its not a Great Koi doesn't mean its not a Great Koi...Me circa 2013

jimc2142003 is offline Supporting Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

If you clean it everything should be ok. I believe Zak recently posted some interesting stuff about this. The screen is designed to be the week link. If it get plugged it drops down and allows water to pass without going through the screen. This keeps the screen from plugging and putting the unit under extra vacuum which could cause something else to fail. I found keep it clean no issues.