• Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Koi Health Issues Help

q2h is offline Junior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Koi Health Issues Help

Hello,

I have a sick koi that I need help to determine the illness and how to treat it. On one side, there is green spot (I think it's fungus). I've treated it PimaFix and it seems to take care of this issue. On the other side, there are a few scales that stick out. The fin is reddish looking and the eyes bulge out more than other koi in the pond. I appreciate any help.

Here are my pond parameters:
      Pond size: 2000 gallons
      Koi: 17 (they are ranging from 9" to 15", two 15", one 14", one 12", one 11", four 10", eight 9")
      Filtration: Midi sieve and 4K Ultima filter, compact Savio skimmer, Savio waterfall, 4" bottom drain with air.
      Maintenance: I clean the sieve once a week, backwash once a week, refill water after backwashing
      Temperature: 57 Degree Fahrenheit
      Ammonia: .25 ppm
      Nitrite: 1 (I've added salt to protect the koi)

The last time I add new fish was on November 1, 2013.

I also want to mention that this is a newly constructed pond so I'm still trying to stabilize it.

I'm attaching some pictures of the problem areas.
      Attached Images Attached Images      
      Last edited by q2h; 12-31-2013 at 03:07 PM.

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Here are two more pictures:
      Attached Images Attached Images   

KoiValley is offline WWKC Lifetime Diamond Member #3
      is terrific!

Feeling:
      ----

Before I try to help you it would be of great help to you and your koi to read the "sticky" which I've posted for you below. You have several issues. Quarantined fish before adding. New pond. Water quality issues. Far too many koi in an un-cycled pond.

In addition what do you have on hand for handling parasites properly and bacterial infections quickly?

I hope I am wrong but I think you have a steep learning curve in front of you. So get busy. Read the sticky. When you see more posts to your thread consider the source and try to ferret through the bs.

Please feel free to ask me anything and I'll do my best to steer you in the right direction but I cannot do everything for you. It is up to you to study and learn as we go. Don't get me wrong! I have been in your shoes....many years ago, but I don't forget and I don't think you are stupid. If I thought so I would not have responded to this thread.

Regards,

Karl

https://www.koiphen.com/forums/showth...th-Sticky-2012
      Karl Schoeler, founder: EIHIOICGI

Certified: AKCA Better Health Practices December 2008

koiman1950 is offline Supporting Member
      is semi retired

Feeling:
      Tired

Great post Karl, and, btw, welcome back and thanks for posting.

OP - if you're really sincere about wanting to get help for your fish problems, PLEASE, take Karl's advice ONLY! He'll get you on the right track about EVERYTHING including pond size/stocking density etc., to allow you to be successful not just for the immediate situation, but into the future.
      Mike

check out our website at: http://www.pond-life.net

"Our goal is to assist with emergency and Koi health issues, as well as educate on best practices. Please help us gain a clear picture by giving the original poster time to answer our questions before offering opinions and suggested treatments."

montwila is offline Supporting Member
      is Busy

Feeling:
      Tired

Very well said Karl.

I won't add to the bs. One good cook in the kitchen is enough.

Hope this turns out better than it looks.

is terrific!

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by koiman1950 View Post
      Great post Karl, and, btw, welcome back and thanks for posting.

OP - if you're really sincere about wanting to get help for your fish problems, PLEASE, take Karl's advice ONLY! He'll get you on the right track about EVERYTHING including pond size/stocking density etc., to allow you to be successful not just for the immediate situation, but into the future.
      Thank you for your kind words. Periodically I lose sight of what really got me into koi and koi medicine. It hit me again with this OP so I had to dive in and continue to pay back the hobby and the people who helped me to begin my journey. What I have learned due to those who taught me cannot be forgotten.

Karl

is terrific!

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by montwila View Post
      Very well said Karl.

I won't add to the bs. One good cook in the kitchen is enough.

Hope this turns out better than it looks.
      Thank you for your post. I, as well as you, hope for the best in this situation. With a little luck and some consideration to protocols I hope that this will end in success. Nothing would make me more satisfied.

Karl

is terrific!

Feeling:
      ----

q2h:

As I have asked, please read the sticky that I posted for you. If, at any time you have questions about it, or about anything that you think might affect your situation I encourage you to PM me privately if you wish or post it to your thread. In addition, I would consider a discussion via cell, which I will PM for you tomorrow.

Karl

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Karl,

Thank you very much for the reply and willing to help me with this situation. I sincerely appreciate you for taking the time to respond to my post considering this is New Year's Eve.

I actually did read the sticky you posted along with many other stickies in this forum as well as information I found on the Web when I was planning to build my pond back in March. I found KoiPhen and Hanover Koi Farm (http://jnfkoifarms.com/thescienceofwater.html, http://jnfkoifarms.com/symptomsofkoi.html) have helped me learn so much about koi pond. Having said that, I did not follow everything that is written for one reason or another. I don't have a quarantine tank so I'm unable to quarantine any koi. That is one of the todos on my list. The only medicine I have on hand now is PraziPro.

The thing is I don't know what caused the koi to be infected so I cannot treat it. Please let me know what it is and I'll try my best to treat the koi. Also, please advise me on what to do with the pond so other koi will not endure the illness.

I'm testing the pond water for Ammonia, Nitrite, KH, PH at least once a day since I have the first koi back in September. I'm trying to do my best to maintain the water quality and protect the koi under this circumstance.
      Last edited by q2h; 12-31-2013 at 08:33 PM.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

I also want to thank everyone for advising me on this matter.

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

cindy is offline Administrator
      is Loving retirement

Feeling:
      Happy

Mt. Wash. KY - 7 miles outside Louisville
      Quote Originally Posted by KoiValley View Post
      Thank you for your kind words. Periodically I lose sight of what really got me into koi and koi medicine. It hit me again with this OP so I had to dive in and continue to pay back the hobby and the people who helped me to begin my journey. What I have learned due to those who taught me cannot be forgotten.

Karl
      Thank you

stephen is offline Koiphen Member
      WWKC Lifetime Charter Diamond Member #2
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Yep! Karl is the best.

warlocktitan is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

You are in good hand here with Karl, q2h! It's gonna be quite interesting since you are very typical new koi keeper with steep learning curves ahead as Karl said. I was like you 2 years ago but the only different is that you found this website where as I was in the dark before disaster got out of hand and lost my whole 30k worth of high quality Japanese koi collection. So my only advices to you is to get any container with at least 50 gallon capacity or better with 100 gallons for quarantine purpose and way cheaper to med. It would be best to invest a cheap scope so that you can scrape. This way you can learn fast and hand on about the wonderful world of parasites and bacterium. A handy man without his tools will be severely handicap. To prevent other kois getting worse I would suggest you to try to stabilize your water condition quickly with extra boost from Fritz-zyme Turbo Start 700 which I used from the past and it did work wonder in similar to your situation. Here the thread may be could help you https://www.koiphen.com/forums/showth...urbo-Start-700. Good luck and I hope your pond water getting better and quick. From the look of your equipments that you have pretty much set for a decent quality filtration system, my only suggest to you is that your waterfall can use some material to help polishing and bio boosting.
      Last edited by warlocktitan; 01-01-2014 at 12:19 AM. Reason: spelling

Goki56 is offline Administrator ~ WWKC BOD ~ WWKC Secretary ~ 2020 KPOTY
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      Friendly

Quote Originally Posted by stephen View Post
      Yep! Karl is the best.
      Gordana

Koiphen 2020 Koi Person of the Year!

is terrific!

Feeling:
      ----

To quote the OP: " I actually did read the sticky you posted along with many other stickies in this forum as well as information I found on the Web when I was planning to build my pond back in March. I found KoiPhen and Hanover Koi Farm (http://jnfkoifarms.com/thescienceofwater.html, http://jnfkoifarms.com/symptomsofkoi.html) have helped me learn so much about koi pond. Having said that, I did not follow everything that is written for one reason or another. I don't have a quarantine tank so I'm unable to quarantine any koi. That is one of the todos on my list. The only medicine I have on hand now is PraziPro.

The thing is I don't know what caused the koi to be infected so I cannot treat it. Please let me know what it is and I'll try my best to treat the koi. Also, please advise me on what to do with the pond so other koi will not endure the illness.

I'm testing the pond water for Ammonia, Nitrite, KH, PH at least once a day since I have the first koi back in September. I'm trying to do my best to maintain the water quality and protect the koi under this circumstance." end quote.

Ok, let's get started. I need to know:

Do you have a working relationship with a vet for any pets you might have? If not, that's something to do. If you actually stop by a veterinarians' office you will have a much better success ratio.

Have you or anyone you know given an injection with a syringe? If not, It will be something you must learn to do. I can help you with it if necessary. We will have to talk via phone about it.

Do you know anyone in a Koi Club in the general area? Many clubs have one or two people who are very interested and have studied koi health.

Make This Your First Step:

Find a quarantine tank large enough to handle the fish in question along with a buddy from the pond. Farm stores such as Tractor Supply, Farm and Fleet, as well as some of the big box hardware stores will probably have something....it needs to be at least 150-200 gallons. Smaller vessels just don't have the necessary volume to maintain temperature and water quality. Think about how you would like to use a filtration device in it as well as several airstones. Think about where you can locate it, out of direct sun, in a safe and secure place, perhaps even in your garage.

Start looking today.

Much more to follow. I will need some answers to the questions I posed so I can determine the next thing I want to accomplish. While I agree that your koi is sick, it is not in severe danger at the moment so we have some time to prepare.

I have sent you a PM with my cell phone number and have asked for a bit of information from you. Please respond when you are able.

K
      Last edited by KoiValley; 01-01-2014 at 09:11 AM.

jimfish98 is offline Supporting Member
      is not losing sleep over the
      opinion of sheep

Feeling:
      ----

If money is an issue, you can also check out Target, Walmart, etc for an inflatable kiddie pool. I picked up one on clearance a few months ago for $5 that holds 255 gallons.

Diamond Lifetime Member #95!
      Just because its not a Great Koi doesn't mean its not a Great Koi...Me circa 2013

is terrific!

Feeling:
      ----

Thanks for the thought. Probably a good place to look in California. Here it is -10 degrees F and no reputable big box store has an inflatable in stock.

I want to take this step by step and work my way toward what I believe to be a bacterial issue probably coupled with and started by parasites, water quality or both. So have patience with my approach.

K

Quote Originally Posted by jimfish98 View Post
      If money is an issue, you can also check out Target, Walmart, etc for an inflatable kiddie pool. I picked up one on clearance a few months ago for $5 that holds 255 gallons.

kdh is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Karl, hope you post for us to see.

Q2h, don't feel to bad. Most of us have been down similar paths. Hoping for a speedy recovery for your system.

is terrific!

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by kdh View Post
      Karl, hope you post for us to see.
      Yes....I will.

K

warlocktitan is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Happy New Year everyone here!!!
      Now Karl is in full speed to reach out and help, please take the advantage of his good will and passion, go for it. You will learn lots from this.
      His advices is spot on especially with bigger tank, I was little conservative to suggest smaller tank but bigger will be more stabilizing.
      I can't wait to see the happy ending and along the way we can all learn from this.
      Thank you.

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast