• Sneaky
  • Tired

Thread: Tortoise question

Loco4Koi is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Tortoise question

I really want to get a sulcata or leopard tortoise.. most likely the latter. (More yard friendly)
      I think having one walking around would be awesome.
      My biggest concern is it drowning in the pond or my dogs making lunch of it.
      My question is, does anyone know if an electric fence works with tortoises?
      I could cordon off half the yard which would include the stone deck to keep it seperated from my dogs. I already have an electric wire circling the pond, just off the ground to keep the dogs out of the pond. This would leave the tortoise about a 10x10 sqft area of grass, 10x20ft of stone deck plus a 10x10 cactus garden.
      I would prefer a sulcata, but they've been known to tunnel up to 20ft underground. Leopards don't dig.
      Oppurtunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work!"
      Thomas Edison

Love and Tolerance Is Key to Peace and Happiness... as long as you still have a pair

http://instagram.com/grngoloco

https://www.koiphen.com/forums/showth...ial&highlight=

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

gotants is offline Junior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

My first post so hopefully it goes through...

I built a tortoise pen on the property I work on. Its basically a black coated chain link fence set 2' into the ground with concrete. The area already has ponds with a waterfall, but they are leaking. I'll be tearing the main top pond out and building a block wall pond with a sloped side so the torts can crawl out.

The existing pond is a combination hard shell plastic pond with a plastic line, of which both leak. Major PIA. I'm hoping to build the pond with regular cement and rebar, and then coat it with gunite by hand.. still working out the details.

Since its just for the torts and turtles we have, it will be on the small side, 4' wide by 6' long, free formed, and approx 18"-24" deep. It will spill into a gentle slope (waterfall) and dump into a small return pond where the pump with draw.

Pics will follow as it progresses...

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007