• Sneaky
  • Tired

Thread: Pink Koi??

tricalee is offline Junior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Pink Koi??

I recently bought 6 butterfly Koi and spotted this light pink one. I especially adore her she was the runt of the lot. Has anyone seen a pink Koi couldn't find any online except for one and it was sold already.
      Attached Images Attached Images  
      Last edited by tricalee; 09-06-2013 at 07:35 PM.

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

She only has a bit of light orange I her tail fin and by her head. 3 scales worth and 2 scales on her head. If I wanted to breed her and pull the same colors or close to the same would I breed with a ghost Butterfly??
      Last edited by tricalee; 09-06-2013 at 07:40 PM.

cindy is offline Administrator
      is Loving retirement

Feeling:
      Happy

Mt. Wash. KY - 7 miles outside Louisville
      Only pink I've seen is from stress

Goki56 is offline Administrator ~ WWKC BOD ~ WWKC Secretary ~ 2020 KPOTY
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      Friendly

tricalee

I love butterfly Koi......
      Gordana

Koiphen 2020 Koi Person of the Year!

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

I have my Koi, 8 Butterfly Koi and 1 big Shubunkin in my 75 gallon tank til we construct the giant Koi pond for them. I loooove them too I have had them for 3 weeks now and they all eat from my hand. They are so awesome and all have different personalities. Never knew I could become so attached to them!!

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Stress really?? Wouldn't she have gotten ich by know if it was stress?

is Loving retirement

Feeling:
      Happy

White fish show stress quicker than other fish. Ich is a parasite, stress can lower the immunity and let parasites get the upper hand.

is Loving retirement

Feeling:
      Happy

Also you have gravel in the bottom, koi are dirty fish and poop and food can accumulate quickly. Do 10% water changes with a cloramine binder weekly
      Last edited by cindy; 09-06-2013 at 08:12 PM.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Ich is the main cause from stressed fish, adding tankmates,bad water parameters, etc. Ich is always present just waiting to rear it's ugly head! My water parameters are fine and I vacuum daily. I have 6 1 inch clown loaches in the tank as well and they are REALLY sucepible to ich. I am quite diligent to the maintence of my tank. I top off my water during vacuuming, and do my water changes 25 percent every 3 days everyone is happy healthy and doing fine.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

That makes sense Russel thanks, kinda what I figured she was a genetic goof-up. I just seen her and had to have her though!!

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Could you elaborate on the ich Russell. I have been led to believe from the LFS that ich is mainly caused by the things I listed above. My main concern when purchasing the tanks to house the koi in till pond construction was completed was the ich. I talked in depth with 2 store owners and that's what they told me. If I could learn other things about the ich I would love too!! That's why I joined this forum so I could get knowledge in all things koi related. I can only read so many articles online that's informative. But you get a great group of people together and the things you learn are multiplied!

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

I figured koi were stressed in the same mannerisms as the freshwater tank fish as well.

Russell Peters is offline Supporting Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by tricalee View Post
      Could you elaborate on the ich Russell. I have been led to believe from the LFS that ich is mainly caused by the things I listed above. My main concern when purchasing the tanks to house the koi in till pond construction was completed was the ich. I talked in depth with 2 store owners and that's what they told me. If I could learn other things about the ich I would love too!! That's why I joined this forum so I could get knowledge in all things koi related. I can only read so many articles online that's informative. But you get a great group of people together and the things you learn are multiplied!
      Ich is one of the easiest parasites to get rid of but it is only one of many that Koi can get. That was my point. I just think it's a mistake to think that's the only thing that can stress Koi. Cindy posted a "sticky" thread on parasites that shows a lot of them. The best thing you can do is to learn them and then learn to scrape and scope your fish.
      people like to vehemently defend their purchases and find it incredulous that anything could be better

richtoybox is offline Administrator
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      Awesome

Ich can be one of the parasites that attack fish. In addition, there are about 7 others. Ich is one that is much less often found with koi. Flukes, both gill and body, are fairly prevalent. Costia is one that is very fast at killing fish. Others like trichodina, chilodinalla, are fairly prevalent in some cases. The bites/sucker attachments lead to bacterial infections. You need aa microscope to know who you are treating, and different treatments are needed for different parasites. Ich because of its life span is difficult to treat because most treatments will be expended before the life cycle is complete.
      Zone 7 A/B
      Keep your words sweet. You never know when you may have to eat them.
      Richard

Goki56 is offline Administrator ~ WWKC BOD ~ WWKC Secretary ~ 2020 KPOTY
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      Friendly

Quote Originally Posted by Russell Peters View Post
      Ich is one of the easiest parasites to get rid of but it is only one of many that Koi can get. That was my point. I just think it's a mistake to think that's the only thing that can stress Koi. Cindy posted a "sticky" thread on parasites that shows a lot of them. The best thing you can do is to learn them and then learn to scrape and scope your fish.
      https://www.koiphen.com/forums/showth...s-in-the-works
      Gordana

Koiphen 2020 Koi Person of the Year!

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Russell thank you for the elaboration. Rich your post was informative as well. I just joined and haven't had time to meander all over the forums. I will be checking out the parasite forum you mentioned. Now onto a different topic concerning the tank I have bought a 150 gallon tank for them to be comfortable in til February. I am putting in 2 fluval 405 canisters for the tank. Right now I have 2 cascade 300s running for the 75 tank. I have read about the redundant filtration online and I haven't had any problems so far in the last 3 months with this tank. But I am using sand in the 150 gallon so when I transfer them out I can have 2 up and running tanks for freshwater fish. Would you recommend a different filtration or will the fluvals suffice??

Jim Smith is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

She only has a bit of light orange I her tail fin and by her head. 3 scales worth and 2 scales on her head. If I wanted to breed her and pull the same colors or close to the same would I breed with a ghost Butterfly??
      The bit of orange you see is faded beni that is all but gone. No good traits on fish fish that would be worth using it as a breeder. Pink is not a good thing

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Thank you Jim for the response, I appreciate your input. That's why I joined this forum!

koi4u2c is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Pink koi:

I have owned butterfly koi for many years. And yes, there are some that appear pink. This is different from the pink of stress or disease.

I have seen many of these in butterfly koi. These fish are actually white koi. Their skin is very sheer or maybe I should say thin. The pink comes from the color of the flesh underneath as the flesh of all koi are pink or reddish pink when you cut them open. This pink is actually showing through the skin.

The pink color sometimes disappears as the koi grows larger and the skin thickens and the fish becomes a white koi, but some of these fish keep the pink tint for a long time or even years. They can be a very good fish to have, because some will pink up easily with stress, and can show you when your water quality is off or the beginning of a parasite infection, even before you notice it in the other koi.

I have also seen yellow butterfly koi that have very sheer skin. They are a pale yellow and their skin reminds me of the chiffon fabric used to make negligees or prom dresses.
      Nancy

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007