Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 24

Thread: Pink Koi??

  1. #1
    tricalee is offline
    tricalee
    has not specified a status.
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Nice, California
    Posts
    12

    Pink Koi??

    I recently bought 6 butterfly Koi and spotted this light pink one. I especially adore her she was the runt of the lot. Has anyone seen a pink Koi couldn't find any online except for one and it was sold already.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by tricalee; 09-06-2013 at 07:35 PM.

  2. #2
    tricalee is offline
    tricalee
    has not specified a status.
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Nice, California
    Posts
    12
    She only has a bit of light orange I her tail fin and by her head. 3 scales worth and 2 scales on her head. If I wanted to breed her and pull the same colors or close to the same would I breed with a ghost Butterfly??
    Last edited by tricalee; 09-06-2013 at 07:40 PM.

  3. #3
    cindy's Avatar
    cindy is offline
    cindy
    Ponds are toilets, flush them
    Moderator, WWKC, Koi Health Care Committee Member
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Mt. Wash. KY - 7 miles outside Louisville
    Posts
    57,696
    Only pink I've seen is from stress
    My opinions in ER and on this forum are mine only. Use my advice at your own discretion.



    K.O.I.

    Member: EIHIOICGI

  4. #4
    Goki56's Avatar
    Goki56 is online now
    Goki56
    has not specified a status.
    Moderator ~ WWKC BOD ~ Secretary
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Franklin Park IL
    Posts
    5,789
    tricalee

    I love butterfly Koi......
    Gordana





  5. #5
    tricalee is offline
    tricalee
    has not specified a status.
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Nice, California
    Posts
    12
    I have my Koi, 8 Butterfly Koi and 1 big Shubunkin in my 75 gallon tank til we construct the giant Koi pond for them. I loooove them too I have had them for 3 weeks now and they all eat from my hand. They are so awesome and all have different personalities. Never knew I could become so attached to them!!

  6. #6
    tricalee is offline
    tricalee
    has not specified a status.
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Nice, California
    Posts
    12
    Stress really?? Wouldn't she have gotten ich by know if it was stress?

  7. #7
    Russell Peters's Avatar
    Russell Peters is offline
    Russell Peters
    is wondering about KKF
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Raspberry Pizazz
    Posts
    34,429
    Quote Originally Posted by tricalee View Post
    Stress really?? Wouldn't she have gotten ich by know if it was stress?
    Why would Ich come from stress?
    Dealer, Distributor
    &
    US Agents for INC

    MATSUNOSUKE GIN

    Contact us about trips to Japan
    Departure dates from October to March


  8. #8
    cindy's Avatar
    cindy is offline
    cindy
    Ponds are toilets, flush them
    Moderator, WWKC, Koi Health Care Committee Member
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Mt. Wash. KY - 7 miles outside Louisville
    Posts
    57,696
    White fish show stress quicker than other fish. Ich is a parasite, stress can lower the immunity and let parasites get the upper hand.
    My opinions in ER and on this forum are mine only. Use my advice at your own discretion.



    K.O.I.

    Member: EIHIOICGI

  9. #9
    cindy's Avatar
    cindy is offline
    cindy
    Ponds are toilets, flush them
    Moderator, WWKC, Koi Health Care Committee Member
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Mt. Wash. KY - 7 miles outside Louisville
    Posts
    57,696
    Also you have gravel in the bottom, koi are dirty fish and poop and food can accumulate quickly. Do 10% water changes with a cloramine binder weekly
    Last edited by cindy; 09-06-2013 at 08:12 PM.
    My opinions in ER and on this forum are mine only. Use my advice at your own discretion.



    K.O.I.

    Member: EIHIOICGI

  10. #10
    Russell Peters's Avatar
    Russell Peters is offline
    Russell Peters
    is wondering about KKF
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Raspberry Pizazz
    Posts
    34,429
    Quote Originally Posted by cindy View Post
    White fish show stress quicker than other fish. Ich is a parasite, stress can lower the immunity and let parasites get the upper hand.
    I know, but that's not my point. My point was why the assumption that it would only be Ich?
    Dealer, Distributor
    &
    US Agents for INC

    MATSUNOSUKE GIN

    Contact us about trips to Japan
    Departure dates from October to March


  11. #11
    Russell Peters's Avatar
    Russell Peters is offline
    Russell Peters
    is wondering about KKF
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Raspberry Pizazz
    Posts
    34,429
    Quote Originally Posted by tricalee View Post
    I recently bought 6 butterfly Koi and spotted this light pink one. I especially adore her she was the runt of the lot. Has anyone seen a pink Koi couldn't find any online except for one and it was sold already.
    What you have is a failed Koi, the reason it is pink is because it used to have more orange on it but it is losing it's color. There are no pink Koi.
    Dealer, Distributor
    &
    US Agents for INC

    MATSUNOSUKE GIN

    Contact us about trips to Japan
    Departure dates from October to March


  12. #12
    tricalee is offline
    tricalee
    has not specified a status.
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Nice, California
    Posts
    12
    Ich is the main cause from stressed fish, adding tankmates,bad water parameters, etc. Ich is always present just waiting to rear it's ugly head! My water parameters are fine and I vacuum daily. I have 6 1 inch clown loaches in the tank as well and they are REALLY sucepible to ich. I am quite diligent to the maintence of my tank. I top off my water during vacuuming, and do my water changes 25 percent every 3 days everyone is happy healthy and doing fine.

  13. #13
    Russell Peters's Avatar
    Russell Peters is offline
    Russell Peters
    is wondering about KKF
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Raspberry Pizazz
    Posts
    34,429
    Quote Originally Posted by tricalee View Post
    Ich is the main cause from stressed fish, adding tankmates,bad water parameters, etc. Ich is always present just waiting to rear it's ugly head! My water parameters are fine and I vacuum daily. I have 6 1 inch clown loaches in the tank as well and they are REALLY sucepible to ich. I am quite diligent to the maintence of my tank. I top off my water during vacuuming, and do my water changes 25 percent every 3 days everyone is happy healthy and doing fine.

    No it's not. For Koi it's only one of many stressors.
    Dealer, Distributor
    &
    US Agents for INC

    MATSUNOSUKE GIN

    Contact us about trips to Japan
    Departure dates from October to March


  14. #14
    tricalee is offline
    tricalee
    has not specified a status.
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Nice, California
    Posts
    12
    That makes sense Russel thanks, kinda what I figured she was a genetic goof-up. I just seen her and had to have her though!!

  15. #15
    tricalee is offline
    tricalee
    has not specified a status.
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Nice, California
    Posts
    12
    Could you elaborate on the ich Russell. I have been led to believe from the LFS that ich is mainly caused by the things I listed above. My main concern when purchasing the tanks to house the koi in till pond construction was completed was the ich. I talked in depth with 2 store owners and that's what they told me. If I could learn other things about the ich I would love too!! That's why I joined this forum so I could get knowledge in all things koi related. I can only read so many articles online that's informative. But you get a great group of people together and the things you learn are multiplied!

  16. #16
    tricalee is offline
    tricalee
    has not specified a status.
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Nice, California
    Posts
    12
    I figured koi were stressed in the same mannerisms as the freshwater tank fish as well.

  17. #17
    Russell Peters's Avatar
    Russell Peters is offline
    Russell Peters
    is wondering about KKF
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Raspberry Pizazz
    Posts
    34,429
    Quote Originally Posted by tricalee View Post
    Could you elaborate on the ich Russell. I have been led to believe from the LFS that ich is mainly caused by the things I listed above. My main concern when purchasing the tanks to house the koi in till pond construction was completed was the ich. I talked in depth with 2 store owners and that's what they told me. If I could learn other things about the ich I would love too!! That's why I joined this forum so I could get knowledge in all things koi related. I can only read so many articles online that's informative. But you get a great group of people together and the things you learn are multiplied!
    Ich is one of the easiest parasites to get rid of but it is only one of many that Koi can get. That was my point. I just think it's a mistake to think that's the only thing that can stress Koi. Cindy posted a "sticky" thread on parasites that shows a lot of them. The best thing you can do is to learn them and then learn to scrape and scope your fish.
    Dealer, Distributor
    &
    US Agents for INC

    MATSUNOSUKE GIN

    Contact us about trips to Japan
    Departure dates from October to March


  18. #18
    RichToyBox's Avatar
    RichToyBox is online now
    RichToyBox
    has not specified a status.
    Administrator - Treasurer - BOD -
    Koi Health Care Committee Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Sandston, VA
    Posts
    6,669
    Ich can be one of the parasites that attack fish. In addition, there are about 7 others. Ich is one that is much less often found with koi. Flukes, both gill and body, are fairly prevalent. Costia is one that is very fast at killing fish. Others like trichodina, chilodinalla, are fairly prevalent in some cases. The bites/sucker attachments lead to bacterial infections. You need aa microscope to know who you are treating, and different treatments are needed for different parasites. Ich because of its life span is difficult to treat because most treatments will be expended before the life cycle is complete.
    Member MAKC

    Zone 7 A/B
    Keep your words sweet. You never know when you may have to eat them.
    Yada, Yada, Yada, Yada, Yada, Yada
    Richard

  19. #19
    Russell Peters's Avatar
    Russell Peters is offline
    Russell Peters
    is wondering about KKF
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Raspberry Pizazz
    Posts
    34,429
    Quote Originally Posted by RichToyBox View Post
    Ich can be one of the parasites that attack fish. In addition, there are about 7 others. Ich is one that is much less often found with koi. Flukes, both gill and body, are fairly prevalent. Costia is one that is very fast at killing fish. Others like trichodina, chilodinalla, are fairly prevalent in some cases. The bites/sucker attachments lead to bacterial infections. You need aa microscope to know who you are treating, and different treatments are needed for different parasites. Ich because of its life span is difficult to treat because most treatments will be expended before the life cycle is complete.
    Salt for two weeks
    Dealer, Distributor
    &
    US Agents for INC

    MATSUNOSUKE GIN

    Contact us about trips to Japan
    Departure dates from October to March


  20. #20
    Goki56's Avatar
    Goki56 is online now
    Goki56
    has not specified a status.
    Moderator ~ WWKC BOD ~ Secretary
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Franklin Park IL
    Posts
    5,789
    Quote Originally Posted by tricalee View Post
    Could you elaborate on the ich Russell. I have been led to believe from the LFS that ich is mainly caused by the things I listed above. My main concern when purchasing the tanks to house the koi in till pond construction was completed was the ich. I talked in depth with 2 store owners and that's what they told me. If I could learn other things about the ich I would love too!! That's why I joined this forum so I could get knowledge in all things koi related. I can only read so many articles online that's informative. But you get a great group of people together and the things you learn are multiplied!
    Quote Originally Posted by Russell Peters View Post
    Ich is one of the easiest parasites to get rid of but it is only one of many that Koi can get. That was my point. I just think it's a mistake to think that's the only thing that can stress Koi. Cindy posted a "sticky" thread on parasites that shows a lot of them. The best thing you can do is to learn them and then learn to scrape and scope your fish.
    http://www.koiphen.com/forums/showth...s-in-the-works
    Gordana





Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •