• Tired
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Where is my Beni? GR Asagi

rainblood is offline Assembler of Water Droplets
      is The Plantinator

Feeling:
      Piratey

Quote Originally Posted by APOLONASGR36 View Post
      I had an Asagi that was and still is kaneko for the past 3.5 years. Much longer than 3 seconds. I just gave it to another koiphener in PA about a month ago. Still kaneko but much messier than before. I was never crazy about it to begin with but for 3 years looked really good and it seemed to be a conversation piece. I needed room so it had to go.
      Now thats really interesting. Pics?
      I suspect that there is true kanoko, which may last longer, and then there is beni breaking down that people refer to as kanoko and then there is secondary hi that develops in a kanoko-ish way. The latter two may or may not be kanoko but referred to as kanoko.
      I guess once Max has stabilized the ki shusui, I'll put in a request for a akame ki kanoko asagi...
      -Rain

:I CAN'T BRING THIS SHIP INTO TRTUGA ALL BY ME ONESIES, SAVVY?:

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

Marilyn is offline Supporting Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by rainblood View Post
      Now thats really interesting. Pics?
      I suspect that there is true kanoko, which may last longer, and then there is beni breaking down that people refer to as kanoko and then there is secondary hi that develops in a kanoko-ish way. The latter two may or may not be kanoko but referred to as kanoko.
      I guess once Max has stabilized the ki shusui, I'll put in a request for a akame ki kanoko asagi...

Still learning as I go but y'all can call me Marilyn

APOLONASGR36 is offline Supporting Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Mine was a strange Asagi Marilyn. It was the whitest Asagi of all the baby Asagis I had . I believe there were 6 from Quality koi grow out here at koiphen and 5 from Kodama grow out . They were kept originally separately but then within 8 months they were all mixed together so I do not know if this Asagi was Japanese or domestic . From pure white around 20-22 months old instead of getting dark/black netting on the top it started getting a light orange shade (dirty looking) in the center of the scales the top half part only. Then slowly over a year it built to a totally kaneko look. To this day where red supposed to be in the bottom half is still white. The top where the black netting is supposed to be is red kaneko netting. It had an extremely clean (whitish ) forehead and the red in the chicks was very bright orange red. And very symmetrical. The body was excellent but it was always the smallest fish of the bounce. I believe it to be male . I never even bother sexing it. I am not sure but when I gave it to Andy's brother in law we measured it to be 26" or 27".
      The black in that Asagi was not a very prominent gene at all so that is why I believe the red took its place. Now why the red never came in the bottom I do not know. It was a "different" Asagi and that is why I kept it this long. I wanted to see what will happened. Over the winter the male pond suffer from two close calls. One the heater broke in the middle of January sending the temperature from 60 F to middle 40's very quickly. It took me a week or so to correct that. Then the big pump stopped working sometime in the middle of February leaving the spitter pump of not even 3000 gph . Not enough circulation for a heavily stocked 13500 pond. Water quality went to hell. All fish had an adverse reaction to these incidents but this Asagi lost its perfect shape and the beni on the face and the body turned the page. Still looked unique and different but it was time to make someone else happy.
      Last edited by APOLONASGR36; 05-16-2014 at 01:21 PM.
      John

Proud Lifetime Member

Founding Member

MAKC Member

Marilyn is offline Supporting Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Thanks for the background, John. Sounds like a fascinating koi to watch develop!

A couple of years back I told Mr. Birthday boy about a white Asagi I knew of for sale.
      Given his penchant for koi exhibiting more beni coloring I don't think she was his cup of tea. She always appealed to be because of the elegance and subtlety of her coloring. Did I just say Rain has garish and inelegant taste?
      But you get where I'm going with it. That type of thing is very hobbyist specific just like pattern.

Sorry for the water woes, it just knocks the stuffing out of me when something like that happens which it invariably does at some point. My heater went out in the winter too but I didn't have the deep cold to contend with like you do. The truth is with ponding it's not a question of if, it's a question of when. We just do the best we can to be ready.

Still learning as I go but y'all can call me Marilyn

APOLONASGR36 is offline Supporting Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Yeah Marilyn and being that it was so snowy and cold I did not realize it for a long time. I had to literally dig my way to the pond to check it out so I was checking once a week or so. I started getting greenish water but I thought ok maybe the sudden drop of temperature killed some of the filter off. Then fish started acting up plus I couldn't see them clearly anyway. Ok the filter needs to catch up, bump the temperature up. Then the first signs of sickness. What the heck its going on. Check everything. Oh shoot the pump is not even working. The fact that the spitter was working and the airdromes were moving the water as always did not make me question the pump at all. You can have everything perfect for years . All it takes is a hiccup!
      John

Proud Lifetime Member

Founding Member

MAKC Member

is The Plantinator

Feeling:
      Piratey

Times like these I do miss Junichi

https://www.koiphen.com/forums/showth...87#post1747487
      -Rain

NN-Tampa is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Thank you all for sharing your thoughts and knowledge.

So with what I read from you all, I don’t think she will be a regular Asagi since the Beni is starting out above the lateral line, show up in some of the scale and nothing under the belly. It may not be Kanoko Asagi b/c weak beni…… so I guess she may become a Hi Asagi? Or one of the weird looking one…. 

Russell, you mentioned that Beni does not look very strong and it’s not going to be Kanoko. What do you see this fish will look like in the next few years? Thx

Rainblood, thanks for the link with all the unique koi.... they are cool!

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Here is her today, measured up to 25inch. Don't like Beni on the head. There is no Beni on the bottom of the fish, it starts from above the lateral line and develop upward. What do you all think of her?
      Attached Images Attached Images  

inazuma28 is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

i dont like the beni on the head either, but this fish has a really nice body and pretty skin among other good traits. I would not be rehoming this one just yet if she were mine.

is The Plantinator

Feeling:
      Piratey

I've always liked this fish and still do
      Skin looks pretty good. The head is a little small and you need to trim down her belly.
      I'd guess she doesn't make it beyond 28".

Awesome fish.
      -Rain

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by inazuma28 View Post
      i dont like the beni on the head either, but this fish has a really nice body and pretty skin among other good traits. I would not be rehoming this one just yet if she were mine.
      Thank you Inazuma28...... I'm still learning about this fish so planning to keep her for little bit longer to see how she will turn out.
      Last edited by NN-Tampa; 12-21-2014 at 09:42 PM.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by rainblood View Post
      I've always liked this fish and still do
      Skin looks pretty good. The head is a little small and you need to trim down her belly.
      I'd guess she doesn't make it beyond 28".

Awesome fish.
      Cam On Anh Rainblood....

I moved her out yesterday to a bigger pond with some big mama so they all will start their fasting for 3 months. This fish was kept in 600 gal qt for the past two years, I moved her out to the pond last May but she didn't eat for 2 months while she was in the pond and she got very skinny. I was afraid that she won't grow so I put her back in the qt with some smaller fish, she turns out ok. But for my small group of Goshiki project, they didn't grow much as I hope b/c this Asagi was much bigger and very aggressive at feeding time, they couldn't competed with her for food. Lesson to learn for me is not to mix small fish with larger fish together.

nmtsaki is offline Moderator ~ WWKC Secretary
      is hanging in there, waiting for
      warmer weather

Feeling:
      Awesome

I like her, she's a very nice looking fish. Why do you fast your fish? How low does your water temp go in Tampa?

Favorite Quotes:
      The greatest pleasure of a dog is that you may make a fool of yourself with him, and not only will he not scold you, but he will make a fool of himself, too. -- Samuel Butler.

My little dog - a heartbeat at my feet. -- Edith Wharton.

I think dogs are the most amazing creatures; they give unconditional love. For me they are the role model for being alive. -- Gilda Radner

Yesterday I was a dog. Today I'm a dog. Tomorrow I'll probably still be a dog. Sigh! There's so little hope for advancement. -- Snoopy

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by nmtsaki View Post
      I like her, she's a very nice looking fish. Why do you fast your fish? How low does your water temp go in Tampa?

I have to fast all my fish few months out of the year since most of the female developed belly full of eggs after the growing season. Fasting will help them trim down their body and prevent them from develop any internal issue due to egg bound.

Last year, the lowest water temp in the pond went down to 50 deg for a day or two. Current my water temp is 64 deg and so far the lowest was 54.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Moving her out to the pond today so I took some photos and measured. She is little over 30", skin is good, beni is still develop from above the lateral line. She is the first one that I was able to grow to 30" from a little fish in 600 gal tank in 3 years, she must have a good generic. Sorry for bloody water, she bled when we moved her in the tub.
      Attached Images Attached Images    

koisan is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Bravo!

abuchi123 is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Nice skin plus she has got the size.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

I like her skin, body & net pattern .... Not crazy about the beni on the head. Still waiting to see the development of Kanoko. For me, this is an exciting fish to grow.

is The Plantinator

Feeling:
      Piratey

Quote Originally Posted by NN-Tampa View Post
      Cam On Anh Rainblood....
      Well done. It looks like you beat my guess of 28".
      Keep it going
      -Rain

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Thanks Rainblood..... She is fasting now and for next two months at least, will see how she will turn out at the end of next year. She is in a young female pond so I hope she still has few more years to grow.... Or not since the pond is small.

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast