• Tired
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Large Scale Fish Die-offs

Billy Pounds is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Large Scale Fish Die-offs

Who thinks global warming isn't real......??????.....anybody?????.....It would seem that Mother Nature is showing everybody that it's a real thing....there have been massive die-offs in bodies of water around the globe in the past month and change that are documented in this article....as conscientious ponders, we are quite aware of what our fish need to survive...aeration, circulation, water changes, etc...Mother Nature is showing us what she needs here...I think that there are way too many fish in our estuaries and ponds and lakes, etc. A prime example of this is the massive explosion of Asian flying carp in our lakes and rivers...they are taking over a lot of the places making it where other fish cannot thrive...we know that our koi carp can have, literally, millions of babies in their lifetime and the ecosystems are not able to handle the fish load in the wild....with global warming, many bodies of water are shrinking and that equates to less gallons per fish than is acceptable...hence...die offs...with global warming, many bodies of water are heating up and causing eruptions in the substrate of the bottoms of the lakes, ponds, etc and we are getting what i call 'sulfur burps'....who thinks fish survive well in burpy, fart smelling water...???...NOT ME....we, as a whole,people are ignorant to the effects of toxic runoff, pollution and complacency in water management and it is rearing it's ugly head in rather quick fashion....do your part for conservation, no matter how small it may be, and let's see if we can't make our world and our waters a better place to live for us and our piscine friends....now that I have spoken my mind about rivers and enclosed systems....what about the oceans...that is a whole different ball of wax....there should never be the problem of not enough gallons per fish but...when it is polluted by chemical waste, oil leaks, and human waste, etc....the blame falls directly on us.....Billy http://www.mediacoop.ca/story/why-ar...death-ev/18569

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

lifeoffaith is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

I would agree that we need to do a better job caring for our world. I find it interesting that as the earth changes, creation has a built in natural response which balances out the body of water for instance that is being affected by shrinking gallonage by fish dying off! It's too bad it has to happen that way, but we all know that all of the fish could eventually die off if it was allowed to continue!

kwickcut is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

what most people fail to understand is that most of these things have been happening for longer then we know.. the only reason we have knowledge of these events is the internet, unless you live in that area chances are you would never know it happened..

that the biggest problem with todays society, everyone wants instant information witch is not always 100% accurate. there is no doubt in my mind that man as a whole has done things to harm the environment but that does not mean that we are the root of every thing that happens in nature..

most of these events have happened on the past and will continue to happen in the future.. this is kind of like the cycle of life no matter what we.
      Three may keep a secret, if two of them are dead. - Benjamin Franklin.

you cant fix stupid no matter how hard you try.

inazuma28 is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

The issue is that a sustainable human population, which has been determined by many scientists far more knowledgeable than I, is about 4-5 billion.... we are currently at 8 and climbing. People don't like to think about the problem, because they cant handle the logical conclusion. Either the human race stops procreating, there is a mass die off of humans, OR in a very short time we will reach a point that the issues will become impossible to correct. There is a lot more going on than climate change and atmospheric pollution. The ocean is being polluted in a very large way, the ph of the ocean is rising due to temperature and CO2 concentrations, the surface temps are increasing which causes bigger storms, we are chopping down forests at a disgusting rate and no one wants to take it seriously........ because who would be okay with a world power telling people they could not have children???? or taking it even further and actually killing people, or refusing health care??? All options at this point are terrible to think about, but i can with certainty say that any option is preferable to doing nothing. Think what is may be like in a generation or two from now. Cant grow enough food, oceans dying, everyone would be sick and starving, the atmosphere could become toxic and every other species would be just as effected, if not more than ours.

there is my rant for the day!

BarbJ is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Well, the world's going to hell in a hand basket; I'm gonna go look at my koi.
      Regards,BarbJ
      Come on by and visit both club's websites!

Click for Cupertino, California Forecast

KoiAteMyHeron is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Well there is no global warming for me this summer. Wet and below average temps. This summer has sucked for sitting on the patio in the evening in shorts and t-shirt. Nope, need a **** hoodie most nights, ridiculous.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

@TD9-
      Yes the earth has always changed (for billions of years). But it has always changed at such a slow pace that organisms could adapt and change. this takes millions of years, what we have done is sped up the change to few short generations. The rates are not even comparable.

@koiatrmyheron
      It is no longer referred to as global warming. the correct term is climate change. Climate change is not about every day being hotter. It is about a shift in global temperature away from the norm. The average temperature of the earth has increased, but this also means longer storm seasons, hotter summers, and milder winters. the winters may not seem milder because of the increase in giant storm systems, but the winters are less cold but more violent.

@Barb J-
      That is exactly what my pond is for too. there is no better way to get rid of stress than throwing the little piggies a handful of chow and listening to the waterfall.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

I just worked on my aquaponic build for a bit to do my part towards self sustainability before i go to the grocery ..hehe....and i went and fed my fishies too...and I told them they just don't know how lucky they are...the real world is brutal out there....lol......Billy

BWG is offline Senior Member
      is 999875421235621456478541.1

Feeling:
      Happy

I remember not too many years ago the top scientists were pushing the global cooling theories. This was the result of too many people and all of the industrial and agriculture pollutants going into the air. The earth is going to warm for a while and then a cooling cycle will come. As the earth's population increases so will all problems. The genie is out of the bottle and there is no way to put it back in.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

I have been studying biology for over 10 years and not under research scientist who would benefit by increasing demand for research grants (which is a bold accusation to make by the way). There IS a real issue, It is as drastic as it sounds, and no matter WHAT HAPPENS, PEOPLE WILL FIND A WAY TO CAPITALIZE ON IT. The fact that people are capitalizing on it does not imply that it is not a real issue. That is a ridiculous misuse of logic. And for the politicians, the majority of the ones who have tried and address it in the last decade have been negatively impacted by doing so. As far as your argument for the inaccuracy of measuring temperatures, the most reliable temperature measurement is the surface temperature of oceanic water at a given location at a given time. And most of the evidence that points to climate change comes from these measurements. these temperatures are also what is fueling storms. You would have to be crazy to try and argue that the storm systems have not been bigger, more violent, and more frequent in the last ten years than in all of recorded history. Not just in the gulf, but in Australia, and India as well.
      I understand your arguments, and for most people realizing a truth as difficult as this one is borderline impossible as it causes a great deal of stress to think about, but if you take all of the RELIABLE DATA, and filter out all of the unreliable data, you will come to a disturbing conclusion.
      It is also important to know, that before scientific data/ findings are released, and conclusions are drawn, it goes through a grueling peer-review process and then as soon as it is released, every scientist reading it is nit-picking every single process and detail in order to discredit it. Once no one can, then and only then is it accepted by the scientific community. When great minds in the field meet, the severity of climate change is debated, but the fact that there is significant climate change caused by humans that is negatively effecting the earth as a whole has not been argued in years. It is accepted as fact.

And if the genie is out of the bottle, so to say, and the problems are caused by population, are we content to do nothing and doom ourselves to the inevitable, which is so terrible I would prefer not to imagine it? just a hypo

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

BarbJ is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

I'm sure you are probably right, it's bad, and we are mostly to blame. OK, got that.

So now that we know the problem, Hooray! Everyone in the world, all the governments and corporations will all get together and change how they do everything, for the good of us all. Kumbya! Yeah, right. Cause we've done so well at cooperation before.

Like we tell the over-stocked, under-filtered ponder, with the rocks on the bottom; Either you need to take care of it or Nature will do it for you. Given the proven nature of Mankind, I'm gonna guess it will ultimately be the latter.
      Regards,BarbJ
      Come on by and visit both club's websites!

Click for Cupertino, California Forecast

Brian Kaminski is offline Supporting Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

10,000 years ago there was 1500 meters of ice on top of where I sit right now. I guess when it started to melt the cavemen was yelling at each other
      if one had more than one bonfire in the cave.

Click for Randers, Denmark Forecast

jimfish98 is offline Supporting Member
      is not losing sleep over the
      opinion of sheep

Feeling:
      ----

The problem is technology cannot keep up with demands on the environment. We need fuel/power so we strip the earth, burn it all, lowering air quality and killing off the o-zone. Wind turbines, solar power, geothermal heating/cooling, and solar panels reduce the impact. The problem is we need a massive jump in those so more can be created cheaper. Recent news is a clear solar film that can be put on phone screens, windows, etc and can collect power. Imagine your electric car being recharged by the sun while you work, all of your windows becoming energy generators, and sky scrapers where the windows are powering the building. While its been created though, it will be a decade or two before it can be produced in mass, then another decade or two to get the price down where its a viable option for people. I remember back in the late 90's there was a jump in computers where a computer bought one day would be completely dated the next month. When we can start making those jumps in renewable energy and can implement it, the world will start balancing itself out a bit more.

Diamond Lifetime Member #95!
      Just because its not a Great Koi doesn't mean its not a Great Koi...Me circa 2013

Redman8102 is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

I really think the global warming angle scientist are trying to push is a scare tactic.... Do I believe the climate is getting warmer ...yes, do I believe polar ice caps are melting .... Yes.... Unfortunetly I don't think it's because of man made pollutants....

Look however many billions of years ago there were giant glaciers that formed the earth they melted and filled lakes, and oceans all over and they are still melting... It's part of the cycle... And soon it will get so dang hot that people will adapt or die... And then it will start to cool off again and those people that adapted will have to deal with the forming of huge glaciers.... Won't be around to see it neither will my kids or their kids and so on....

It's a cycle just like everything else in the world. Bottom line is as long as my koi don't die off I'm fine lol.

kdh is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by inazuma28 View Post
      The issue is that a sustainable human population, which has been determined by many scientists far more knowledgeable than I, is about 4-5 billion.... we are currently at 8 and climbing. People don't like to think about the problem, because they cant handle the logical conclusion. Either the human race stops procreating, there is a mass die off of humans, OR in a very short time we will reach a point that the issues will become impossible to correct. There is a lot more going on than climate change and atmospheric pollution. The ocean is being polluted in a very large way, the ph of the ocean is rising due to temperature and CO2 concentrations, the surface temps are increasing which causes bigger storms, we are chopping down forests at a disgusting rate and no one wants to take it seriously........ because who would be okay with a world power telling people they could not have children???? or taking it even further and actually killing people, or refusing health care??? All options at this point are terrible to think about, but i can with certainty say that any option is preferable to doing nothing. Think what is may be like in a generation or two from now. Cant grow enough food, oceans dying, everyone would be sick and starving, the atmosphere could become toxic and every other species would be just as effected, if not more than ours.

there is my rant for the day!
      Were currently at 7 billion. Nice rant.

vpkoi is offline Senior Member
      is apprhensive

Feeling:
      Cool

you mean ,climate change ,liberal agenda. gotta have it both ways hot or cold,,, electric cars get there power from fossil fuels... wind /solar power are failing . Govt. scams

vpkoi is offline Senior Member
      is apprhensive

Feeling:
      Cool

yes I believe overpopulation is a problem , nature will handle that . maybe with warming . do your part give up your smart phone .....

Oakridge is offline Supporting Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Are fish with small scales dying too???

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by Oakridge View Post
      Are fish with small scales dying too???
      are you saying some fish weigh a lot and are self consciously buying small scales as a ruse to hide something...

Oakridge is offline Supporting Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by Allinkdup View Post
      are you saying some fish weigh a lot and are self consciously buying small scales as a ruse to hide something...
      If only large scale fish are dying, the small fish should be fine!

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast