• Sneaky
  • Tired

Thread: Plumbing for wooden pond.

Cherokee is offline Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Plumbing for wooden pond.

Hi all. I have built a temporary pond (8' x 8' x 3' deep) to hold some of my fish until I get my main pond done. It is constructed of 3/4" plywood with 2x4 bracing all around the outside spaced at 12" OC with an additional 2x6 on top of the top 2x4 brace. The liner is between these two pieces. My question is: I want to install some plumbing (In pond skimmer, retro BD, midwater feed to filter). Returns will be over the top. I'm not sure if I should use liner collars, bulkheads or even a shower drain for the midwater filter feed. I'm concerned about using collars because of supporting the pipe. If I use bulkheads (which I already have) should I sandwich only the liner between the two pieces of the bulkhead or should I sandwich the liner AND the plywood between the two pieces of the bulkhead? Just not sure how to do this. Any help will be appreciated, including other ideas.

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

koiman1950 is offline Supporting Member
      is semi retired

Feeling:
      Tired

As long as you have enough thread depth on the bulkheads, I would definitely want to have both liner and plywood sandwiched between the bulkhead pieces. That's how my qtank was done. I also used GE Marine5200 to seal around the bulkhead on the inside of the pond. I used a "no-niche" skimmer with the pipe going through the side wall as well. I did this pond back in 1998 and it's been watertight the whole time! I would suggest you get the appropriate size hole saws for cutting through the plywood, then cut the liner out making it about 1/4"-3/8" smaller diameter. This will allow a bit tighter seal around the threaded male side as you insert it from inside the pond out. For that sized pond, I don't see a need for a mid-water pick-up. This pond is temporary, and based on around 1250-1400 gal in size, depending on the filtration you plan to use, you can use a single pump fed from the BD and skimmer alone to get enough gph to handle a turnover of twice/hr with no problem.
      Mike

check out our website at: http://www.pond-life.net

"Our goal is to assist with emergency and Koi health issues, as well as educate on best practices. Please help us gain a clear picture by giving the original poster time to answer our questions before offering opinions and suggested treatments."

Russell Peters is offline Supporting Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Last edited by Russell Peters; 07-16-2014 at 09:49 AM.
      people like to vehemently defend their purchases and find it incredulous that anything could be better

is semi retired

Feeling:
      Tired

Well, I didn't want to assume the OP knew "how" to do it all. Besides, he asked for other suggestions as well. Wouldn't you rather know a few "tricks" of how to do this than just your "simple" answer, if you'd never done this before or weren't a general contractor?!
      Mike

"Our goal is to assist with emergency and Koi health issues, as well as educate on best practices. Please help us gain a clear picture by giving the original poster time to answer our questions before offering opinions and suggested treatments."

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Last edited by Russell Peters; 07-16-2014 at 09:49 AM.
      people like to vehemently defend their purchases and find it incredulous that anything could be better

is semi retired

Feeling:
      Tired

Russ,

Why not just stick with the context of the thread. Or are you "post bumping" again?!
      Mike

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by koiman1950 View Post
      As long as you have enough thread depth on the bulkheads, I would definitely want to have both liner and plywood sandwiched between the bulkhead pieces. That's how my qtank was done. I also used GE Marine5200 to seal around the bulkhead on the inside of the pond. I used a "no-niche" skimmer with the pipe going through the side wall as well. I did this pond back in 1998 and it's been watertight the whole time! I would suggest you get the appropriate size hole saws for cutting through the plywood, then cut the liner out making it about 1/4"-3/8" smaller diameter. This will allow a bit tighter seal around the threaded male side as you insert it from inside the pond out. For that sized pond, I don't see a need for a mid-water pick-up. This pond is temporary, and based on around 1250-1400 gal in size, depending on the filtration you plan to use, you can use a single pump fed from the BD and skimmer alone to get enough gph to handle a turnover of twice/hr with no problem.
      Thanks for the input. It's exactly what I wanted to know. I'll eliminate the mid-water to pump and just use the skimmer and retro bottom drain. Your instructions are great and appreciated.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by Russell Peters View Post
      If you don't want to read Mike's really loooooong explanation then, yes, sandwich the liner AND the plywood between the two pieces of bulkhead. I have done this and it works fine.
      LOL, thanks for your reply. I understand where Mike is coming from as I tend to be a little verbose myself. It's OK with me, short or long the input is truly appreciated.

Joey S is offline Supporting Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Come on guys... Not needed when someone needs help.
      For the love of Koi
      Don't Sweat the Small Stuff

Lifetime Charter Diamond Member #4 WWKC

JOIN THE WorldWide Koi Club NOW

Certified Koi Keeper (CKK)

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Last edited by Russell Peters; 07-16-2014 at 09:50 AM.

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007