• Tired
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I need to thin out my Goldfish.

JohnnyB is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Unhappy I need to thin out my Goldfish.

I don’t know why I’m even having a hard time with this, but nobody wants them. I never had trouble fishing and eating the catch, but somehow this seems wrong to just kill them. I think there’s just too many of them and one of them has had red eyes for 6 or 7 years now and looks creepy. Otherwise It seems to be healthy and is growing, but I’m not so sure it can see or not.
      I’m just not a killer and I was hoping that a raccoon hanging around here would do the job for me.
      Raising Goldfish in small pond

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

gray cat is offline Administrator
      is looking forward to Spring

Feeling:
      Happy

Have you tried Craig's List? Some pet stores will take them in for free. Fish we keep in ponds become our pets. I can't kill heathly fish for any reason.
      Nancy

Koiphen 2013 Koi Person of the Year!

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by gray cat View Post
      Have you tried Craig's List? Some pet stores will take them in for free. Fish we keep in ponds become our pets. I can't kill heathly fish for any reason.
      No I haven’t thought about that, but thanks I’ll call around. Years ago when I first move to Southern CA I took a fancy goldfish to the pet shop and was surprised when they offered me $50.
      I’m sure I will not get anything for these, but it would be nice if they would take them for free.

gatorlover is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

I recently took about 9 to a local pet store and they won't pay anything, but they give you store credit. For those I got a $45 gift certificate. I would rather give them to friends whenever possible.
      Glenda

Only GOD can turn a MESS into a MESSage, a TEST into a TESTimony, a TRIal into a TRIumph, a VICTim into a VICTory. GOD is GOOD... all the time!

Lord when you build my cabin in the corner of Glory-Land, Please be sure to include a fish pond. Thanks

God closes doors no man can open and God opens doors no man can close.

Redman8102 is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Yeah I'm in the same boat I really need to get rid of some, and I don't want them killed... And I'm worried about the pets tore just popping them in the feeder tank!

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

I’m pretty sure nobody is going to want the fish that I want to give up because they don’t have any color and one of the fish has red eyes. If a pet store did take them, I’m pretty sure they will end up as food for another. I don’t know if that would bother me because I’ve caught and ate fish myself. I just don’t want to throw them in garbage.
      I used to give them to a neighbor who had a bird eating their fish. They finally had enough and got rid of the pond altogether. I don’t know what they did with the remaining fish if there were any. Everybody that I knew who had a pond gave up on them

DarleneD is offline Supporting Member
      is crocheting

Feeling:
      Meh

Red eyes in a goldfish is not necessarily a bad thing.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by DarleneD View Post
      Red eyes in a goldfish is not necessarily a bad thing.
      Really! Everybody always asks me if it has a disease and I just just say it been like that for 6 or more years and if it were a disease I would think it would be dead by now. So why is not necessarily a bad thing?

*Ci* is offline Administrator
      is enjoying the fall weather

Feeling:
      Happy

Around here, i've put in Craigslist ads twice saying "free to a good pond home" and both times had at least 10 responses within a few hours!
      I ask them what size pond they have, and if it's anything over 500g I give them the goldfish I'm rehoming. I don't ask about filters, you can drive yourself nuts being too picky.

Oh and I have a few goldies with red eyes - normal plus cool looking. Blue eyes are neat too.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by GoldieGirl View Post
      Oh and I have a few goldies with red eyes - normal plus cool looking. Blue eyes are neat too.
      Ok well I thought something happened to it so that's good to know. It swims around with the rest of them and doesn't appear to have a problem. Actually I think its more aggressive than the others. Its always the first to eat.

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

is crocheting

Feeling:
      Meh

Some goldies just have red eyes. Koi can have them too. Personally, I like it.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Most people visiting my home have no idea about fish and some even ask if they are Koi. I just today had one of my daughters friends ask if they were Koi.
      She said her dad has a small goldfish pond and is talking about getting rid of it but his fish are about half the size.
      While we were were looking at the pond my Desert Tortoise came out to play and she said her dad feeds his Goldfish to his two turtles.

is crocheting

Feeling:
      Meh

Eewww.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by T9D View Post
      The problem with craigslist is people will just outright lie about it. Say they have a pond when it's going in a small tank. Or worse to feed their huge bass or predator fish.

The fish could end up just suffering as they slowly die in an unkept tiny aquarium.
      Craigslist is just too dangerous anymore to have anybody come to my home. I read about Craigslist crimes almost every day and there is just no way that I want to take a chance.

I check a couple of local pet stores but they are not interested so I’m just continuing on the way I been doing. Maybe I’ll get lucky and have some birds of prey dine at my pond. At least it will be quick with the bird predators if they swallow them right away.

Just Jessie is offline Supporting Member
      is Loving Life

Feeling:
      Awesome

Or you can do what I did, I went down to the local lake, used barbless hooks and caught some bluegill. After spending almost a year in a tank in QT, I put them in the pond. The goldfish eat their eggs when they spawn and they eat the goldfish fry when they hatch. Kept the numbers down for years and everything evenly balanced. Then I had to go and get some koi, and boy has my life been complicated since. Done buying koi, when they are gone I am going back to bluegill.

Jessie
      I SUPPORT OUR TROOPS
      I support and will defend my right to bear arms

MY FAVORITE COLOR IS SHINY
      Lifetime Diamond Member #5 WWKC

BORN AGAIN CHRISTIAN

www.TickerFactory.com

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by Just Jessie View Post
      Or you can do what I did, I went down to the local lake, used barbless hooks and caught some bluegill. After spending almost a year in a tank in QT, I put them in the pond. The goldfish eat their eggs when they spawn and they eat the goldfish fry when they hatch. Kept the numbers down for years and everything evenly balanced. Then I had to go and get some koi, and boy has my life been complicated since. Done buying koi, when they are gone I am going back to bluegill.
      Thanks Jessie! At this point I don’t have to worry about them multiplying because I don’t have any place for the fry to hide. I
      I’ve been trying to grow plants, but the fish are destroying them as fast as I put them in. I have a kidney shaped basket for the plants and they jump in to the basket. One morning there were 5 of them in there and it was so crowded that they couldn’t get out. They were lying on top of each other and I wish I would have thought to take a photo because it was really something see. Instead I panicked and dumped them back in to the pond. They destroyed the plants in the basket and I haven’t been able to get the plants to grow again.
      I will have to eventually have no choice but to play god and pull the ones I don’t care as much for out.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Well I lost 4 of my biggest and favorite Gold fish last night. It is a bit of a mystery of what happened because we suspect a raccoon but it didn't eat the fish.

We had a freak rain storm that filled two large garbage cans and flooded my patio with 2" of water in an hour. During that time my GFI tripped from an extension cord laying on the ground and stopping my pond water fall. I did reset it but my wife says she also reset it later and we are not sure if the fish jumped out of the pond while the water was stopped from the power being out or not.

gray cat is offline Administrator
      is looking forward to Spring

Feeling:
      Happy

I am so sorry for your loss. It seems it is always our favorite ones.
      Nancy

Koiphen 2013 Koi Person of the Year!

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by gray cat View Post
      I am so sorry for your loss. It seems it is always our favorite ones.
      Thanks, That’s so true.
      I’m almost convinced that they jumped out not knowing where the water line was in the dark if the power was off. The water was right to the edge and without any current from the pump or waterfall, they just didn’t have a reference. It could have been that one was being chased by the other three and they all went over the edge at the same time.

jeepnman2 is offline Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

I thinned out some of mine a few weeks ago. My six year old son asked me who I was going to give them to and I told him my friend had a small goldfish pond. My son wanted to know what happened to his other fish and I told him I guess they must have died. My son said well he can't have ours then!

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast