• Tired
  • Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 815161718

Thread: Diy rdf

kimini is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by kwickcut View Post
      what about adding a T on the line between the pump and spray bar with a valve and send some of the extra water back into the inlet area of the filter, then you could bleed off as much water as you think would help.

20 bucks in parts you most likely have sitting around and 15 minutes work could be a piece of mind
      Hah, what pump?! No, it uses 60-psi water straight from the city for the sprayer, with an in-line valve to throttle it, but I understand what you're saying.
      Last edited by kimini; 02-28-2017 at 10:52 AM.
      Author of Midlana, Build this High Performance Mid-engine Sports Car. http://midlana.com/stuff/book

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by Huysy View Post
      You could also try changing the angle of your spray bar so that the spray is not so perpendicular to the screen. This should decrease the force on the screen.
      Agree, and may try that, though it's becomes a balancing act to still have it blow off the debris.
      Author of Midlana, Build this High Performance Mid-engine Sports Car. http://midlana.com/stuff/book

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by rayjay View Post
      Suggest you look at EZ Strainers (sold by US Plastic and others) for the type of material used for their bucket/pail/barrel strainers. It's a high density polyethylene material (HDPE) that is food-grade and comes in various mesh sizes. Several years ago I brought 55gal barrel EZ Strainers in 400, 200 & 100 microns on a whim and used the 100 micron screen to filter an algae bloom in my pond, I could not leave the temporary setup too long due to the screen catching a lot of algae quickly. I just did a search to see if you could buy the material in sheet form and found one Chinese (naturally) company, Share Industries (http://www.shareindustries.com/2015/05/28/share/[/url]), that manufactures it in 59” widths. There may be others, may be worth a try.

BTW, this material looks very similar to the filter material in my Profidrum.
      Yes that's what I'm figuring to find, probably something intended for mining or food processing. I went ahead and got a 48"x96" sheet of 60 micron stainless, which should buy enough time that I can more fully research filter cloth. Thanks for the lead, and letting me know that's what filter type is used in the Profidrum, as I was about to ask.
      Last edited by kimini; 02-28-2017 at 10:51 AM.

rayjay is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by kimini View Post
      ..................................... and letting me know that's what's used in the Profidrum, as I was about to ask.
      I didn't say it's the same, just that it looks like the same material.

Want to stay out of any RDF related threads
      ....."Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.".....Mark Twain

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

What I meant was "I was going to ask whether the Profidrum used stainless or fabric."

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

The plastic chain came off the drum, causing the drum to stop, the incoming water to back up and causing a small flood. The chain had stretched a little (they all do, even steel ones) but what's annoying is that the way it's made, two links have to be removed instead of one. Right now it's too long, and too short if shortened by one segment. I reversed the drum's rotation direction which changed the angle of force on the drum and bought me some time. This weekend I'll relocate the drive motor to take up the slack and will design in a tensioner into the v2.0 model.

Oh, a couple other things I've learned:

1. Garolite absorbs water to some extent and expands. Depending where it is it can cause parts to jam up.
      2. Using a white IBC is a bad idea unless it's well covered. Algae is actively growing on the sun-lit side and is starting to get invasive. Version 2.0 uses dense HDPE panels so it won't have this issue.
      Last edited by kimini; 03-23-2017 at 01:42 PM.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

3-month update:

Yesterday I noticed that not only was the RDF cycling more often but when it did, the water levels weren't changing as much as they used to. The last time this happened it was due to the filter cloth tearing, so it was odd that it was happening so soon after the filter cloth was replaced.

Turns out that the screen-covered exit in the moving-bed filter (in a separate IBC) which the RDF feeds had small K1-type media which packed around it, in addition to some bits of algae (probably left over from the first time the filter cloth tore). Hosed it off and the water level in both tanks immediately dropped a good inch and the RDF started operating normally again. Just another think to keep an eye on!
      Last edited by kimini; 03-24-2017 at 12:57 PM.

kwickcut is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

it never ends lol..
      Three may keep a secret, if two of them are dead. - Benjamin Franklin.

you cant fix stupid no matter how hard you try.

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 815161718