• Piratey
  • Poorly
  • Sad
  • Secret
  • Shy
  • Sneaky
  • Tired
  • Page 27 of 44 FirstFirst ... 172425262728293037 ... LastLast

Thread: The Fishy Fisher Fish Family......

jimfish98 is offline Supporting Member
      is not losing sleep over the
      opinion of sheep

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by kevin32 View Post
      snow and freezing temps. oh climate change. been cold here as well. nice shelter though
      Yup, weather to the extremes. This year was a massive drought with extra fires, another hottest year on record, a massive hurricane,and now snow.

Diamond Lifetime Member #95!
      Just because its not a Great Koi doesn't mean its not a Great Koi...Me circa 2013

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

kevin32 is offline Inactivated
      is chillin

Feeling:
      Friendly

Quote Originally Posted by jimfish98 View Post
      Yup, weather to the extremes. This year was a massive drought with extra fires, another hottest year on record, a massive hurricane,and now snow.
      yeah you got pounded this year for sure. it is a sign of climate change my friend. we can deny it but is nothing new lol

Orlando is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
      With snow and freezing night time temps, it was time to make a temporary pond cover. Used the canopy and thick frost blankets to help block the cold.

You have snow flakes in central Florida? Wow!
      Something to ponder on is that these koi are not use to this kinda temps here just thinking out loud.

Orlando is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

But that first picture on post 518 reminded me of the blob, that picture came out I guess in the late 60s.

Koigrl is offline Supporting Member ~ WWKC BOD
      is is cheerful.

Feeling:
      Cool

Nice shelter, Jim. Could almost say cozy!

Ki Shusui Project : 300k Challenge : 500k Build : Flock Spawn Jamboree : Our Ki Midori Champions

Ten minute video of Russ Peters sexing our future ki shusui oyagoi. : http://youtu.be/AhROs1cjC18

Updated for the 2018 Harvest: What is "ki shusui?" Short version http://www.kishusui.com

Twelve seconds that are the entire point of the last seven years!
      https://youtu.be/zNqTJgM3lpY

If you're reading this, you're on Team Ki.
      Kichi loves company. Max

K-POTY 2014

opinion of sheep

Feeling:
      ----

Had a mini purge this week. I had previously listed some fish online and the buyer backed out. I relisted them and end up moving out 4 of the 5. The Shiro Muji, Doitsu Kohaku, Doitsu Sanke, and the big Showa all went. Hopefully the Soragoi goes soon as well. In March I will be picking up 10 Tamasaba to place in there so the reduction will more than balance out the new additions. I am not sure if I will pick up any koi this year, but who knows what will catch my eye by the time that first day is over.

The house tank also got a make over. The other year I decided to re home the goldfish and switch the tanks to cichlid for some color and something different. After a year of them fighting and killing each other off, I opted to convert it back. Monday someone bought all the fish and by Tuesday I started restocking it. A few snails, a blue eye brisstle nose pleco, a green phantom pleco, a tri color fan tail, blue cap oranda, and a blue loin head. It's not much for now, but the collection will grow soon. I was planning on waiting to see what they have at the koi show in March to finish stocking it, however I found an auction with some Lavander Ranchu along with some other nice fish that have caught my attention. We will see if I end up winning any of them. Here is one I am watching.
      Attached Images Attached Images  

Just because its not a Great Koi doesn't mean its not a Great Koi...Me circa 2013

KurtG is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

That looks like a nice goldfish. It is too cold here to have goldies in my pond as come February most of the fancies need to come in for 6 weeks or so.

I want to know what I may part with to move up, but everything is under cover atm. Going into fall, none of the koi were failing so I don't know what I have room for with Russ's upcoming trip lol. Probably my worst fish is my Dainichi showa, but it was in the 30+" range last summer so I hate to see it go until something lese better is that large.

opinion of sheep

Feeling:
      ----

Bidding got up near the sales price on a few and just pulled the trigger to avoid losing them. Coming next week is a 5+ inch lavender Ranchu, two 3.5 inch lavender Ranchu as a breeding pair, and a 6.5 inch Ryukin.

audioenvy is offline Supporting Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

I need to avoid these photos because they are going to tempt me to get an aquarium which I really don't need LOL.

But seriously, those look super cool.

opinion of sheep

Feeling:
      ----

Fish came in and are doing well. The pond is functioning well and I am loving the RDF and how little I have to touch it. Right now I do a water change once a week and mid week top the pond off as it uses its filtered water to clean itself. Today I remembered saw my Sieve screen clogged and realized it had been running about 9 days while feeding without cleaning it off. Not bad considering it is a 100m screen.

In other news my dog is an idiot and has decided he wants to start drinking all of the waste water from the RDF. I have a discharge line into the back yard and he just plops himself down and has a drink if we don't watch him. Yesterday I trenched a 3ft deep hole 20ft and another 2ft today. I put in a 4 inch corrugated drain line and a pop up assembly on the end should it ever clog up. It will make the pond even easier to deal with now and the dog less annoying.

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Yesterday I trenched a 3ft deep hole 20ft and another 2ft today. I put in a 4 inch corrugated drain line and a pop up assembly on the end should it ever clog up.
      Would you mind taking a photo? Nobody lives in the lot next to me so right now I just have a 3" pipe from the RDF and Sieve waste lines routed to the other lot LOL. At some point that is going to change so I need something more, um, sustainable.

My2butterflies is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Gorgeous ryukin

opinion of sheep

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by audioenvy View Post
      Would you mind taking a photo? Nobody lives in the lot next to me so right now I just have a 3" pipe from the RDF and Sieve waste lines routed to the other lot LOL. At some point that is going to change so I need something more, um, sustainable.
      If I took a picture now it would just show sand. The whole thing is underground now.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

If I took a picture now it would just show sand. The whole thing is underground now.
      Ok. Did you drill holes in the corrugated line or did it come pre-drilled?

opinion of sheep

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by audioenvy View Post
      Ok. Did you drill holes in the corrugated line or did it come pre-drilled?
      It is is molded to have holes and had a sock around it to prevent sand and dirt from settling into it. I have used this twice before on the house as we have two areas where rain pooled and we used it to extend our rain gutters underground and 10-20ft away from the house. They handle a lot of water well. It typically takes a massive downpour for an hour plus to put enough water through it to actually pop open the pop up emitter on the end of it.

I get the feeling that over time however this one will clog up a bit with koi waste, but that could take 10-15 years. At that pace I think it will have served its function just fine and replacing it would be no big deal.

This is the one I bought. Home depot has any connections or fittings you might need for this.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Thanks!

is is cheerful.

Feeling:
      Cool

Love the lavender fish, Jim! Really looking forward to your breeding program.
      Can you post a picture of your dog?

Ki Shusui Project : 300k Challenge : 500k Build : Flock Spawn Jamboree : Our Ki Midori Champions

Ten minute video of Russ Peters sexing our future ki shusui oyagoi. : http://youtu.be/AhROs1cjC18

Updated for the 2018 Harvest: What is "ki shusui?" Short version http://www.kishusui.com

Kichi loves company. Max

K-POTY 2014

opinion of sheep

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by Koigrl View Post
      Love the lavender fish, Jim! Really looking forward to your breeding program.
      Can you post a picture of your dog?
      We will see if they actually breed. If they do it will be interesting and I will likely just end up giving them away to friends and such here.

As for the dog, here is the dingleberry that likes drinking koi poop....

is is cheerful.

Feeling:
      Cool

GREAT DOG! TY for the LOLs

Kichi loves company. Max

K-POTY 2014

opinion of sheep

Feeling:
      ----

Some gobs of mess coming through the system right now and it created an issue. My sieve screen has clogged twice this week as the fish are pulling algae off the walls and it is getting mixed with some eggs. The clumps that bypassed the screen made it into the RDF and kept sliding down the drum when it turned.

Good news and bad news. I got the screen off of the RDF and got the gunk out. The problem is it doesn’t go back in place the same as the sides want to curl in and it was stretched and cut into place by the maker. I got it stretched back but the edges not so much. Zac has let me know an easier way to access the inside for future reference but I need a new screen now.

That is the bad part, the good part is I get to take pictures and videos of how to install the screen for other users. It will probably be a bit like the one I made for the EVO filters but there are some things in the design that I am going to slightly modify while I am at it to make any future replacements easier. My issue will be someone else’s tutorial.

Additionally Zac is sending his updated pump set up for cleaning using the pond water. I will show that hook up as well.

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

Page 27 of 44 FirstFirst ... 172425262728293037 ... LastLast