• Tired
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Allinkdup's G/O Tosai

jimfish98 is online now Supporting Member
      is not losing sleep over the
      opinion of sheep

Feeling:
      ----

Don't forget to get measurements and enter your grow outs into the Virtual Koi/Goldfish show, see how well your selecting and husbandry stacks against the others in the grow out.

Diamond Lifetime Member #95!
      Just because its not a Great Koi doesn't mean its not a Great Koi...Me circa 2013

Billy Pounds is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Hi friends...here is an update on my kohaku and showa from Purdin...everybody is between 13-15" and they all started about 6-8"...the one with the bad gill cover went to a friend for his family pond...and the really fat showa was a disappointment...she is only about 10"and extremely short bodied...looks more like a fat comet than a showa...she will be rehomed as well...here is the rest of the group...and the obviously female kohaku was the replacement for the short gilled showa...she came in w/ulcers when i got her but scar tissue healed nicely but it looks like 2 shimi are trying to emerge there....the nidan kohaku now has 2 black scales instead of the one scale that was plucked out before i got my shipment...you know what they say, pluck a gray hair and 2 grow back...lol...and if the skin, conf and colors weren't so nice it would be gone too...the 2 male kohaku are blessed with really nice skin and really pleasant colors.and the old school showa is my favorite from the group...the sumi and hi pulled together nicely and i was worried because it was so splotchy when i got it....I have learned about color development and a bit more about skin quality...opinions and comments are welcome...Billy
      Attached Images Attached Images      

Spartan is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

The Showa looks male. Might be very good if you can bulk him up.
      The 2nd fish, the big kohaku, has great conformation but the beni looks shaky. The others have better beni but nowhere near as good conform.
      I think you did great getting them to this stage.
      Ultimately though I think Purdin didn't give us much to work with. Most folks fared worse by far with several going muji. To some extent that is price related but I also view it as a "try out" for their line. There were no fish that surprised to the upside. Growth overall was below average. I am very unlikely to ever buy one of their fish again.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Spartan I have one pond and fish from 12-24"...those big ones do some damage at feeding time and it is everybody for themselves...lol...I am not just trying to have these guys be monsters...so they only get fed once or twice per day...don't have an automatic feeder.....but their size will come with time and as I slowly weed out my pond grades they will eventually get more gallons per koi...

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

I figure that the female kohaku put on the most growth and that her beni has stretched out...hopefully it will be stable come springtime...hopefully the tail tube gets heavier too

LadysSolo is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

I like the showa a lot, and the third kohaku. I am with you - slower growing, and will get there eventually.

koisan is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Thanks for the update, Billy. I'm glad to see that someone is still growing their purdin koi. I will update mine when the temp. Cools down here. I hope more people could update theirs as well.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

thx koisan...i have been tardy for a while myself...lol...hope all is well with you and yours...Billy

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123