• Amused
  • Angry
  • Annoyed
  • Awesome
  • Bemused
  • Cocky
  • Cool
  • Crazy
  • Crying
  • Depressed
  • Down
  • Drunk
  • Embarrased
  • Enraged
  • Friendly
  • Geeky
  • Godly
  • Happy
  • Hateful
  • Hungry
  • Innocent
  • Meh
  • Piratey
  • Poorly
  • Sad
  • Secret
  • Shy
  • Sneaky
  • Tired
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Results 21 to 33 of 33

    Thread: Montwila's 2013 KP Showas

    1. #21
      montwila's Avatar
      montwila is offline Supporting Member ~ Koi Health Care Committee Member
      This user has no status.
       
      Feeling:
      ----
       
      Join Date
      Aug 2009
      Location
      Auburn, WA.
      Posts
      2,242
      Encouraging words Jim. I am afraid the beni is lost.

    2. #22
      kdh's Avatar
      kdh is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.
       
      Feeling:
      ----
       
      Join Date
      Feb 2011
      Location
      redding.california
      Posts
      7,469
      Is #39 veining from bowling?

    3. #23
      koisan's Avatar
      koisan is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.
       
      Feeling:
      ----
       
      Join Date
      Dec 2012
      Location
      so cal
      Posts
      916
      Thanks. What type of food are you feeding and are you using a feeder? Frankly, I'm surprised to see that none of the grow out hit 18" so far. I thought some had pretty decent frame.

    4. #24
      icu2's Avatar
      icu2 is online now Administrator ~ WWKC Treasurer
      is usually here but if not I'm
      probably off flying
       
      Feeling:
      Piratey
       
      Join Date
      Feb 2007
      Location
      Poulsbo, WA
      Posts
      25,565
      Quote Originally Posted by koisan View Post
      Frankly, I'm surprised to see that none of the grow out hit 18" so far. I thought some had pretty decent frame.
      Don't forget we're in Washington state... S. Cal or Florida I think you might have a better chance. I could count the days my pond was over
      70* ( and barely) on one hand, and now it's 53*.
      --Steve
      Find more about Weather in Poulsbo, WA

      "It is far better to be alone, than to be in bad company." --George Washington

    5. #25
      koisan's Avatar
      koisan is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.
       
      Feeling:
      ----
       
      Join Date
      Dec 2012
      Location
      so cal
      Posts
      916
      Quote Originally Posted by icu2 View Post
      Don't forget we're in Washington state... S. Cal or Florida I think you might have a better chance. I could count the days my pond was over
      70* ( and barely) on one hand, and now it's 53*.
      True...

    6. #26
      montwila's Avatar
      montwila is offline Supporting Member ~ Koi Health Care Committee Member
      This user has no status.
       
      Feeling:
      ----
       
      Join Date
      Aug 2009
      Location
      Auburn, WA.
      Posts
      2,242
      Yes, KDH the veining is from bowling. It has cleared up now that it is back in the pond. I don't see any on any of the other fish.

      Yes, Steve (#002) Thank you for the comment.

      This pond did reach 72* for one day this summer. I think I had a week at 70* in that pond. Since I have been back from CA. the pond has been 50-54*F

      Koisan: I am feeding KenZen and no I do not have a feeder. I would lose too much food to the skimmer.

    7. #27
      jimfish98's Avatar
      jimfish98 is offline Supporting Member
      is not losing sleep over the
      opinion of sheep
       
      Feeling:
      ----
       
      Join Date
      Jan 2012
      Location
      Central Florida
      Posts
      10,890
      Quote Originally Posted by koisan View Post
      Thanks. What type of food are you feeding and are you using a feeder? Frankly, I'm surprised to see that none of the grow out hit 18" so far. I thought some had pretty decent frame.
      Mine was at 14 at last check. Warm FL waters and I could hit 18 by the time the one year mark comes up.



      Diamond Lifetime Member #95!
      Just because its not a Great Koi doesn't mean its not a Great Koi...Me circa 2013

    8. #28
      montwila's Avatar
      montwila is offline Supporting Member ~ Koi Health Care Committee Member
      This user has no status.
       
      Feeling:
      ----
       
      Join Date
      Aug 2009
      Location
      Auburn, WA.
      Posts
      2,242

    9. #29
      koisan's Avatar
      koisan is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.
       
      Feeling:
      ----
       
      Join Date
      Dec 2012
      Location
      so cal
      Posts
      916
      I'll be cheering for you.
      Quote Originally Posted by jimfish98 View Post
      Mine was at 14 at last check. Warm FL waters and I could hit 18 by the time the one year mark comes up.
      Monte: how about sinking food or place a fine screen in front of your skimmer? Mine was the smallest in the herd and she actually feed well having the larger ones feeding around her. Maybe you need a friendly chag to lead the feeding?

    10. #30
      montwila's Avatar
      montwila is offline Supporting Member ~ Koi Health Care Committee Member
      This user has no status.
       
      Feeling:
      ----
       
      Join Date
      Aug 2009
      Location
      Auburn, WA.
      Posts
      2,242
      Koisan:

      I do a mix of kenzen in the lower pond. It includes both sinking and floating 7mm with some 5 mm floating also for the smaller fish (I had a 5" Ochiba in there I could not catch). I actually have a GR Chagoi that is the same size as the Purdins in that pond. Also a Shiro Utsuri who is about 14" and acts as the matriarch (if there actually is one amongst these fish) of the pond.

      However you may have been referring to the feeding of the grow out fish that have not grown and were placed in the fingerling tank. They get a mix of floating and sinking in multiple sizes and brands. Some of the fish in this tank are 3" and the Purdins are the largest at 8+'. However a few of the Ochibas are almost as big. They have probably grown 30-40% in length since August. Same tank, same food. They just hang back and do not eat. The last week I have actually started tossing in a few kernals of kenzen 7mm sinking and the Showa will eat one of those. The pellet/kernal is too big for most of the fish in that tank to eat. That is why I tried it.

    11. #31
      koisan's Avatar
      koisan is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.
       
      Feeling:
      ----
       
      Join Date
      Dec 2012
      Location
      so cal
      Posts
      916
      Quote Originally Posted by montwila View Post
      Koisan:

      I do a mix of kenzen in the lower pond. It includes both sinking and floating 7mm with some 5 mm floating also for the smaller fish (I had a 5" Ochiba in there I could not catch). I actually have a GR Chagoi that is the same size as the Purdins in that pond. Also a Shiro Utsuri who is about 14" and acts as the matriarch (if there actually is one amongst these fish) of the pond.

      However you may have been referring to the feeding of the grow out fish that have not grown and were placed in the fingerling tank. They get a mix of floating and sinking in multiple sizes and brands. Some of the fish in this tank are 3" and the Purdins are the largest at 8+'. However a few of the Ochibas are almost as big. They have probably grown 30-40% in length since August. Same tank, same food. They just hang back and do not eat. The last week I have actually started tossing in a few kernals of kenzen 7mm sinking and the Showa will eat one of those. The pellet/kernal is too big for most of the fish in that tank to eat. That is why I tried it.
      We all have one of those koi that just won't feed no matter what you do... sorry. I do find that feeding them at around the same time of the day seemed to work the best as there seemed to be a biological trigger that get them excited right before feeding time when they know food is coming. I hope you will figure out what works best for you and your koi. Good Luck!

    12. #32
      montwila's Avatar
      montwila is offline Supporting Member ~ Koi Health Care Committee Member
      This user has no status.
       
      Feeling:
      ----
       
      Join Date
      Aug 2009
      Location
      Auburn, WA.
      Posts
      2,242
      Thank you koisan:

      Hopefully I will be able to get the QT/Hosp. tank sprayed soon. I have given up on trying to find "the leak".. Kinda the wrong description as it has never held water to begin with. Note to self: never cut the corners of your liner.

      Anyway if I can warm them back up and they see 70* water then maybe they will put on some growth. Especially if they see the Ochibas passing them up.

    13. #33
      jimfish98's Avatar
      jimfish98 is offline Supporting Member
      is not losing sleep over the
      opinion of sheep
       
      Feeling:
      ----
       
      Join Date
      Jan 2012
      Location
      Central Florida
      Posts
      10,890
      Don't forget to get measurements and enter your grow outs into the Virtual Koi/Goldfish show, see how well your selecting and husbandry stacks against the others in the grow out.



      Diamond Lifetime Member #95!
      Just because its not a Great Koi doesn't mean its not a Great Koi...Me circa 2013

    Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •