• Sneaky
  • Tired
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Showa #1

fishin4cars is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Looking really nice! Very typical Sumi for that size showa from Purdin, Bill calls it a different kind of sumi, Not kage. Itt gets better the bigger they get. She's on course to be a big fish. Mine passed in my accident. I have a new Kohaku that was from the same year and possibly the same spawn but wasn't part of the growput. She's about 16-17" and in a growth spurt right now. I worry about that beni your pointing out, hopefully it holds together. Bill would be able to tell more than me. Overall, I really like this one!

koisan is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Thanks for the inputs, the sumi seems to start at the base of the scale and gradually expand towards the edge. Hopefully it will fill up when the temp. Goes down.

koiman1950 is offline Supporting Member ~ Koi Health Care Committee Member
      is semi retired

Feeling:
      Tired

I don't think the beni is that bad. It's changing and the fish is in growth mode. The hoshi is evident, especially in the shoulder area which sees the most expansion/growth as this area widens/lengthens at the same time. The smaller beni plates look okay, and I think will thicken/consolidate when the water cools down. The sumi, well, some call it "kage" but it's just immature sumi. The areas of black within the color plates is because it's easier for the fish to display through skin and takes longer to come through the scales. This will take probably two more years to really show itself fully, if it's going to. Some will even stay with this look forever, just depends on the water quality, diet and genetics of the fish. Only time will tell, but I don't think all three colors are developing at the same rate/time. I really like the front half of this fish. I wish the back half was as clean/keeping up with the front. I'd like to see her around January. Please post more pics around that time.
      Mike

check out our website at: http://www.pond-life.net

"Our goal is to assist with emergency and Koi health issues, as well as educate on best practices. Please help us gain a clear picture by giving the original poster time to answer our questions before offering opinions and suggested treatments."

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Thank you, Mike. It's always good to hear from you. I will post an update when the growing season is over.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Final Update

She ended up at 60cm or roughly 23.5". This is my last update as I have rehomed her to make room for my incoming koi. Good Luck to the rest of grow out participants and I do look forward to your updates.
      Attached Images Attached Images   

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Looking back, could actually see the beni plate consolidated in multiple places, most visibly in the tail region where spackles of beni merge into one plate. Sumi continue to surface and most likely will make a menware type of facial pattern. I have to say that this koi has gone beyond my expectation with its improvement and the lessons learned here is invaluable.

abuchi123 is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

The skin turned out quite nice on this one.

kdh is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by koisan View Post
      Looking back, could actually see the beni plate consolidated in multiple places, most visibly in the tail region where spackles of beni merge into one plate. Sumi continue to surface and most likely will make a menware type of facial pattern. I have to say that this koi has gone beyond my expectation with its improvement and the lessons learned here is invaluable.
      So what are your points of why you are moving this koi on and not keeping for future?

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by kdh View Post
      So what are your points of why you are moving this koi on and not keeping for future?
      I need the pond space for my incoming "koi projects" so I have to let go one of my four showa. This showa had good skin and decent body, but when it comes down to it, all qualities are good but nothing stands out for me to say that I want to keep it to see how it would transpire. I think this is a score 6~7 out of 10 koi that has reached its full potential. She'll grow bigger, pattern will get better, but she'll never have the luster and glow that I am looking for.

kdh is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

I am always curious as to when and why koi are moved on in collections. Thanks

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

I've actually moved out 7 koi this winter ( all from my first set of koi) for a major makeover. I guess this is just a normal progression in the hobby where I have tried out different varieties in my pond and now I'm narrowing down to what I think will do well in my pond. Of course, the natural inclination to desire better koi also equates the need to rehome as we progress in this hobby...

koiman1950 is offline Supporting Member ~ Koi Health Care Committee Member
      is semi retired

Feeling:
      Tired

I think you made a good decision based on your desires for the future. I agree, a 5-6 would be my ranking on this fish with regard to bone structure and skin quality. I don't see that part improving further, even though it may get to be larger. So, you got any pics of your "new" project fish?
      Mike

check out our website at: http://www.pond-life.net

"Our goal is to assist with emergency and Koi health issues, as well as educate on best practices. Please help us gain a clear picture by giving the original poster time to answer our questions before offering opinions and suggested treatments."

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by koiman1950 View Post
      I think you made a good decision based on your desires for the future. I agree, a 5-6 would be my ranking on this fish with regard to bone structure and skin quality. I don't see that part improving further, even though it may get to be larger. So, you got any pics of your "new" project fish?
      LOL. Here is one of the new comers (my first of the variety as well), and as for the rest, maybe I will show them someday...
      Attached Images Attached Images  

abuchi123 is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Weak beni, yellow skin, and scattered ginrin. I will keep this mutt for you.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by abuchi123 View Post
      Weak beni, yellow skin, and scattered ginrin. I will keep this mutt for you.
      Consider this a gift if you will convert your pool into a "mutt"pond.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123