• Piratey
  • Poorly
  • Sad
  • Secret
  • Shy
  • Sneaky
  • Tired
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Since I built my pond a few years ago, I've been battling 2 red tip trees that have

sworley is offline Senior Member
      is Still loving my pond!

Feeling:
      Annoyed

Jerry. I actually planted a crape myrtle by my pond patio but plan to keep it cut back . I love the look of them and the flowers are beautiful although messy. I don't plan to let it get so big that it will be an issue for the pond itself.
      icu2 (Steve) it cost me $375 to have these 2 large trees plus 6 other much smaller ones cut down and hauled away. The guys did a fantastic job cleaning up everything that was cut - they raked, too, so not a leaf was left. I was extremely pleased with the job and will definitely hire them again to do some more tree-trimming work that needs to be done around my yard. I had gotten another quote, though, from a well-known tree guy here and he was going to charge me around $300 for each tree. The guy I hired was very good at his job, had years of experience and was an honest person. You might have to shop around some because I know costs can be very different in different areas of the country, too. I know it can be true that you "get what you paid for" but in this case, I got a great deal and was very pleased with the outcome.
      Oh and thanks, all, for the nice compliments on the area - it's going to look a lot better when I get some more smaller shrubs planted in front of the fence.
      Last edited by sworley; 03-12-2013 at 08:17 PM.

"A government big enough to give you everything you want is also strong enough to take away everything you have." -- Thomas Jefferson

Be who you are and say what you feel... because those that matter... don't mind...and those that mind...don't matter!
      Maxine

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

FIT BMX is offline Senior Member
      is is with BLM!

Feeling:
      ----

Looks great, you will really like it next fall!

BarbJ is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Wow!! I have never seen photinias as huge as those, ever!! They get large here, but rarely over 20', and that's a big one. Do you have rain during the summer? That's the only difference I can think of. We don't get rain in the summer and unless they're on an irrigation system, they grow pretty slowly. Even irrigated they don't get that big. What is your soil texture? Maybe it's our heavy clay soil.

Anyway, it does look a lot better and you'll get some sun now too. Seems like a really good price for removal and clean up.
      Regards,BarbJ
      Come on by and visit both club's websites!

Click for Cupertino, California Forecast

sworley is offline Senior Member
      is Still loving my pond!

Feeling:
      Annoyed

Thanks, y'all! Our soil here in eastern NC is a mixture of sand, loam and clay, Barb. I have some clay around where the pond is but also have a lot of nice black sandy loam. We usually have a dry spell between April and July or so but do occasionally get some rain throughout the Summer months - hopefully no tropical systems this year. The photenias really can get big here - I had quite a few that had become trees already so those were among the ones that were cut down. I've painted the cut root areas with concentrated Roundup so hopefully they won't sprout again anywhere. I'm keeping a wary eye on them, though and have my Roundup ready should they decide to rear their heads again.

"A government big enough to give you everything you want is also strong enough to take away everything you have." -- Thomas Jefferson

Be who you are and say what you feel... because those that matter... don't mind...and those that mind...don't matter!
      Maxine

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12