• Sneaky
  • Tired

Thread: kwanzan cherry tree

Malugul is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

kwanzan cherry tree

thinking about planting a kwanzan cherry tree next to my koi pond, any foreseeable complications with cherry blossoms falling or anything? i hear they grow fast but dont know much else about them if anyone has any help i would appreciate it.

im hoping it looks something like this when its growing
      http://kieferlandscaping.com/index.p...ge=page&id=271

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

jrlaubin is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

how about a weeping cherry tree..both have small leaves to clean up.

Nightstorm is offline Supporting Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

In my build, I show a cherry right up against the pond, and got much advice to not do so: https://www.koiphen.com/forums/showth...ight=ambitious (around post #17 and on). There's also a link to shrubs that can be toxic.

-- Chris

Nightstorm's Pond Build

"The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously." -- Hubert H. Humphrey

"It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change" - C. Darwin

icu2 is offline Administrator ~ WWKC President
      ~ WWKC Treasurer
      is sorry otters exist

Feeling:
      Annoyed

Chris, I'm curious if it you found the advise unneeded or whether it was worthwhile?
      --Steve

Koiphen 2021 Koi Person of the Year!

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

so iv been looking up weeping chjerry trees they dont look bad, it seems as if the blossoms dont get as pink, also they are a bit smaller, and other advantages or disadvantages to having weeping cherry vs kanzan? in response to cherry trees being toxic to fish i guess i should just keep the tree away from the pond, kanzans as i understand it can really grow horizontal. so i should have the tree 10' away from the pond? thanks for the responses btw guys.

Nightstorm is offline Supporting Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by icu2 View Post
      Chris, I'm curious if it you found the advise unneeded or whether it was worthwhile?
      I found it very valuable. Still in the build stage myself, but took the advise to heart.

-- Chris

Nightstorm's Pond Build

"The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously." -- Hubert H. Humphrey

"It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change" - C. Darwin

icu2 is offline Administrator ~ WWKC President
      ~ WWKC Treasurer
      is sorry otters exist

Feeling:
      Annoyed

Quote Originally Posted by Nightstorm View Post
      I found it very valuable. Still in the build stage myself, but took the advise to heart.
      Thanks, good to hear!
      --Steve

Koiphen 2021 Koi Person of the Year!

Shadow99 is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

The key things to decide is how fruitless it really is and how close it will be to the pond. I have about a thirty foot flowering crab roughly five feed upwind of my pond. Blossoms are a minimal issue they have a very clean blossom drop (waaaay different from the magnoli). This issue is fall berry debris. While it is "fruitless" 1/4" to 1/2" little fruits are still created. These are caught fine by the skimmer and so far the fish ignore them, but mess goes beyond spring issues. The other potential issue with ornamental cherries is that they can be susceptible to disease in this area. All fast growing trees have issues related to increase twig drop when compared to slower growers. This is only an issue if planted directly next to the pond.

Very gorgeous tree. If you have your heart set on it, I would give your local arboreteum experts a call (they almost all have tree info help lines) and just ask if the high humidity around the pond will give it any issues. Then I would plant it downwind from the pond if possible.
      Last edited by Shadow99; 02-17-2013 at 11:06 AM.

BarbJ is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

All good advice. The only thing I would add is Kwanzan isn't my favorite flowing cherry because of the heavy double blossoms. They are absolutely beautiful in bloom, but because they're have so many petals they don't fall clean off the tree. Sometimes at least half will just dry up on the branch and stay there, looking like a brown tissue paper flower, and you have to hand pull them off. Because of that I like some of the single flowers ones better.
      Also as Shadow mentions, they do have some disease issues. All cherries can get bacterial gummosis, but a good copper dormant spray helps keep it minimal. And as copper is toxic to fish, another good reason to keep it back and downwind of the pond. It is gorgeous in bloom though.
      Regards,BarbJ
      Come on by and visit both club's websites!

Click for Cupertino, California Forecast

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

what cherry tree would u suggest? if not kanzan. someone mentioned weeping is there a specific type of weeping?

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

BarbJ is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

I see you're in CA. Monrovia wholesale plants is in CA and have a pretty good selection of flowering cherries that you could get at your local nursery.

My favorie is akebono yoshino, buds are pink and the flowers light pink to white.

http://www.monrovia.com/plant-catalo...ino-cherry.php

A nice weeping cherry is "Snow Fountains". The flowers are pretty much white though.

http://www.monrovia.com/plant-catalo...ing-cherry.php
      Last edited by BarbJ; 02-18-2013 at 12:47 AM.
      Regards,BarbJ
      Come on by and visit both club's websites!

Click for Cupertino, California Forecast

jjspond is offline Senior Member
      is Retired

Feeling:
      Happy

I've had trees around my ponds, and will be cutting back a huge weeping cherry, what a mess, even down wind. It is about 20' from the pond, the leaves usually aren't a problem, the wind seems to blow them all into the driveway that time of year (to the chagrin of DH). In spring though, when the petals drop the wind seems to be more fickle. Being it is a lily pond the pedals all get hung up on the pads even though I have good flow and a skimmer. Even w/o plants they seem to stick to the sides.

If you must have a tree, go for something that doesn't get huge, that would be my suggestion. I don't miss the poplars that were 75-100' feet upwind from the koi ponds, the huge silver maple that was ~50' upwind, nor the wisteria that died 2 winters ago that was 10' from the koi pond. Seems all I did was clean up leaves back then, glad to have that behind me, more time to do other things.
      ~ jj
      -----------------------------
      See jj's puddles www.jjspond.us

K.O.I.

DGM is offline Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

My experience with Cherry trees , ( Kwanzan (pink carnation type bloom), Yoshino ( small yellow flower, and Okame (small pink fades to white flower) Okame has performed the best least amount of problems has been a good tree to use in my landcapes

delbert is offline Supporting Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

I have Red Maples over 2 of my ponds , its not too much trouble netting the leaves out
      This year it got real cold early and made the leaves turn brown and stick to the tree falling off one bye one slowly all winter

kev is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

I have a kwanzan and weeping cherry in my front yard.Beautiful in bloom,kwanzan looks like a big stick of cotton candy,the weeping is white and real pretty.Both are very large and need to be trimmed alot.I bought the kwanzan from a friend who has a nursery because he said it was a dwarf that stayed under 10 ft,it's now 30+,the weeping one is not far behind.When the flowers drop,it looks like a blizzard hit my yard and the next 2 lots from me,haha.I wait to mulch my beds until after the flowers drop every year,I wouldn't want them close to my pond.

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007