Thread: Caladium

CraigP
    Enjoying the waning days of summer.

Caladium

For years I have suggested using Caladium to add color to the water garden; they like both a fair amount of sun, moist soils and they are closely related to, if not in the same clade as, Alocasia,Colocasia and Xanthosoma the elephant ears and taro already well known in the hobby.

Now there are some great looking new hybrids coming out of Thailand; I got my first type today, 'Hot Lips', but others are a'comin'. The starts are still in the cell tray and looking a little bedraggled from the shipping but still showing its potential.

Check these beauties out: http://www.agristarts.com/index.cfm/...D/36/index.htm
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    The difference between something good and something great is attention to detail.

You don't lead by hitting people over the head. That is "assault" not leadership ~ Dwight David Eisenhower

“You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant.”― Harlan Ellison

Books are the quietest and most constant of friends; they are the most accessible and wisest of counselors, and the most patient of teachers. ~Charles W. Eliot

Craig

SouthernStarr
    is on the road again
    Administrator/ BOD
    They really are pretty! Love the Dark Chocolate, Pink Charm, and Lucky Purple.

Proud Member Of The WWKC
    WWKC Lifetime Diamond Charter Member #6

Cowiche Ponder
    happy to have a fish pond again
    Living my life's dream
    Hot lips is gorgeous!

SueSTx
    When the lilies bloom...I'll be in Heaven
    I love variegated plants...Green Pearl and Thai Beauty are my favorites.
    RedNecks R Us

totallyvictorian
    Loving Summer!
    Quote Originally Posted by CraigP View Post
    For years I have suggested using Caladium to add color to the water garden; they like both a fair amount of sun, moist soils and they are closely related to, if not in the same clade as, Alocasia,Colocasia and Xanthosoma the elephant ears and taro already well known in the hobby.

Now there are some great looking new hybrids coming out of Thailand; I got my first type today, 'Hot Lips', but others are a'comin'. The starts are still in the cell tray and looking a little bedraggled from the shipping but still showing its potential.

Check these beauties out: http://www.agristarts.com/index.cfm/...D/36/index.htm
    Craig are you the one selling caladiums on ebay? I saw the hot lips and the chocolate. Love them.

Pam

Montgomery County Water Garden Society
    Clarksville, Tn

CraigP
    No, for the most part, I am not an ebay seller,though to look at those prices I should reconsider.<g> The claim that the plants are all indexed for viruses isn't quite true, AgriStarts does so for a number of its plants but not all.

Anyway, the Caladium are just something I have taken a fancy too and I plan to use around here and not venture onto ebay with.<g>
    The difference between something good and something great is attention to detail.

You don't lead by hitting people over the head. That is "assault" not leadership ~ Dwight David Eisenhower

“You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant.”― Harlan Ellison

Books are the quietest and most constant of friends; they are the most accessible and wisest of counselors, and the most patient of teachers. ~Charles W. Eliot

Craig

gander
    old and grumpy
    Craig will they grow bareroot or bare bulb in water between the rocks on a stream
    "most men lead lives of quiet desperation and go to the grave with the song
    still in them."
    I wish I could sing

OK.TN.

Kat
    's water lilies are BLOOMING
    "Petal Pusher"
    Love the colors of caladiums. I might have some extra spots in the shade this year & just might try adapting some to having wet feet. Good luck with your Hot Lips

CraigP
    I have never tried growing that way Gary...I have enough trouble trying to grow them in dirt. the Hot Lips were stagnant at best and then the real cold hit and down they went.

Our temps have been running in the 90's of late and they just now look as though they are finally taking off. I think I regret putting them in 4" pots though....should have gone bigger. But wit the price of bagged mixes these days, I wanted to be sure I liked them first.< g >
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Craig

BullGator
    has not specified a status.
    Mine are all just beginning to break the dirt and emerge after winter. I don't think i have anything as fancy as yours Craig, but they do add color and interest. I have some in the ground and almost as many in pots to move around and change the look of different areas - also necessary so they don't sit in one place and fry as the sun moves.
    John

If you can't laugh at yourself you might be missing the joke of the century.

See My Koi Pond

See My Lily Pond

DarleneD
    is tired
    Craig the one in the pic is gorgeous!

Greenthumbnails
    "Must Love Plants"...
    I like the one that looks black/purple with the neaon hot pink splotches