• Amused
  • Angry
  • Annoyed
  • Awesome
  • Bemused
  • Cocky
  • Cool
  • Crazy
  • Crying
  • Depressed
  • Down
  • Drunk
  • Embarrased
  • Enraged
  • Friendly
  • Geeky
  • Godly
  • Happy
  • Hateful
  • Hungry
  • Innocent
  • Meh
  • Piratey
  • Poorly
  • Sad
  • Secret
  • Shy
  • Sneaky
  • Tired
  • Results 1 to 14 of 14

    Thread: Koi names?

    1. #1
      _Reed_ is offline Junior Member
      This user has no status.
       
      Feeling:
      ----
       
      Join Date
      Dec 2012
      Location
      Nor Cal
      Posts
      5

      Question Koi names?

      Hello, I am trying to learn all I can on here about koi fish. I'm wondering what all these Japanese names are referring to, Such as: Gin Rin Hi Utsuri, Asagi, Chagoi, ect. ect.

      Are these breeds, color patterns? How many are there?

      Thanks

    2. #2
      SouthernStarr's Avatar
      SouthernStarr is offline Administrator
      is Enjoying Tennessee
       
      Feeling:
      Happy
       
      Join Date
      May 2004
      Location
      Charleston, SC
      Posts
      33,900
      Quote Originally Posted by _Reed_ View Post
      Hello, I am trying to learn all I can on here about koi fish. I'm wondering what all these Japanese names are referring to, Such as: Gin Rin Hi Utsuri, Asagi, Chagoi, ect. ect.

      Are these breeds, color patterns? How many are there?

      Thanks
      Welcome to Koiphen!! I think you might find some threads to get started on in our Library http://www.koiphen.com/forums/forumd...34-The-Library


      Proud Member Of The WWKC
      WWKC Lifetime Diamond Charter Member #6


    3. #3
      RichToyBox's Avatar
      RichToyBox is offline Administrator ~ WWKC BOD ~
      Koi Health Care Committee Member
      This user has no status.
       
      Feeling:
      Awesome
       
      Join Date
      Feb 2005
      Location
      Sandston, VA
      Posts
      12,423
      This page, http://www.koivillage.com/koiid/pg2.htm has a lot of the varieties, their names, and the pronunciations. All are not so common, common carp, having been bread for the color and pattern, skin quality, and conformation. This will give you some idea of what the possibilities are. Of course if you are thinking of breeding, a good pair of similar koi, may on a good spawn give you a lot of the different varieties, and mostly just junk. It is the artist eye that keeps and grows the best and culls the rest. Some varieties like the chagoi, are close to the original common carp and you will get a fairly high quantity of fair to good fry, while others like the highly developed sanke or showa will yield very low quantities of desirable fry.

      "Our goal is to assist with emergency and Koi health issues, as well as educate on best practices. Please help us gain a clear picture by giving the original poster time to answer our questions before offering opinions and suggested treatments."

      Zone 7 A/B
      Keep your words sweet. You never know when you may have to eat them.
      Richard

    4. #4
      Russell Peters's Avatar
      Russell Peters is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.
       
      Feeling:
      ----
       
      Join Date
      Dec 2007
      Location
      people vehemently defend their purchases and find it incredulous that anything could be better
      Posts
      24,594
      This will help.


      http://www.japan-nishikigoi.org/genealogy.html#
      Attached Images Attached Images  
      people like to vehemently defend their purchases and find it incredulous that anything could be better

    5. #5
      _Reed_ is offline Junior Member
      This user has no status.
       
      Feeling:
      ----
       
      Join Date
      Dec 2012
      Location
      Nor Cal
      Posts
      5
      Thank you for the info!

      Does Nishikigoi = Koi?

    6. #6
      koiman1950's Avatar
      koiman1950 is online now Senior Member ~ Koi Health Care Committee Member
      is semi retired
       
      Feeling:
      Tired
       
      Join Date
      Feb 2008
      Location
      San Jose, Ca
      Posts
      19,269
      Quote Originally Posted by _Reed_ View Post
      Thank you for the info!

      Does Nishikigoi = Koi?
      Well, if you ask a Japanese person in Japan where to buy KOI they won't know what you're talking about. But if you ask them about Nishikigoi, they probably will. Nishiki - brocade and goi -carp. KOI is a word WE here in the Western world use as a lazy, slang-type description. But, basically, yes, they are one in the same.

      Mike
      Mike

      check out our website at: http://www.pond-life.net



      "Our goal is to assist with emergency and Koi health issues, as well as educate on best practices. Please help us gain a clear picture by giving the original poster time to answer our questions before offering opinions and suggested treatments."

    7. #7
      Metro Koi is offline Junior Member
      This user has no status.
       
      Feeling:
      ----
       
      Join Date
      Dec 2012
      Location
      Detroit
      Posts
      8
      This is by far the best link I've seen to identify any Koi. It has 230 different Koi names and pictures. Enjoy!!

      http://www.thekoikeepers.com/variety...page_0001.html

    8. #8
      koiman1950's Avatar
      koiman1950 is online now Senior Member ~ Koi Health Care Committee Member
      is semi retired
       
      Feeling:
      Tired
       
      Join Date
      Feb 2008
      Location
      San Jose, Ca
      Posts
      19,269
      Quote Originally Posted by Metro Koi View Post
      This is by far the best link I've seen to identify any Koi. It has 230 different Koi names and pictures. Enjoy!!

      http://www.thekoikeepers.com/variety...page_0001.html
      It's not bad, but there are quite a few errors with the descriptions/varietal names! Overall. a decent BASIC reference as long you reverse the way the names read. E.g., it wouldn't usually be called a "sanke tancho gin rin". It would be stated: GinRin Tancho Sanke or more "properly" Gin Rin Tancho Taisho Sanshoku! lol
      Mike

      check out our website at: http://www.pond-life.net



      "Our goal is to assist with emergency and Koi health issues, as well as educate on best practices. Please help us gain a clear picture by giving the original poster time to answer our questions before offering opinions and suggested treatments."

    9. #9
      Metro Koi is offline Junior Member
      This user has no status.
       
      Feeling:
      ----
       
      Join Date
      Dec 2012
      Location
      Detroit
      Posts
      8
      Quote Originally Posted by koiman1950 View Post
      It's not bad, but there are quite a few errors with the descriptions/varietal names! Overall. a decent BASIC reference as long you reverse the way the names read. E.g., it wouldn't usually be called a "sanke tancho gin rin". It would be stated: GinRin Tancho Sanke or more "properly" Gin Rin Tancho Taisho Sanshoku! lol
      I agree the names are out of order. So if this link is "Not Bad" or "A Decent Basic Reference", do you have a better link? If so, please share. I'd love to see it.

      The traditional genealogy that RP posted doesn't go far enough into depth. You don't see the entire spectrum of Koi as in "Kujaku, Kikokuryu, Ochiba, etc".

    10. #10
      Marilyn's Avatar
      Marilyn is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.
       
      Feeling:
      ----
       
      Join Date
      Apr 2008
      Location
      SF Bay area CA
      Posts
      15,978
      http://www.koi.com/reference/encyclopedia/

      This one isn't bad.
      I see Mike's issue with the one posted above. They list koi varieties like Tancho Asagi. It really would be an Asagi (with a Tancho or rather Maruten marking). Some of their examples are in the ballpark but it kind of confuses things a bit. Their "Ochiba Tancho" is really just an Ochiba. To be a true Tancho the coloration would not be on the fins or anywhere but the marking on the head.
      I'm not even sure what a Sanke Goshiki Tancho is.
      The one I linked above might be more general but it's more accurate.

      You might be interested in one of these?
      http://www.inlandkoi.com/akkoiidpo.html
      http://www.aquaticeco.com/subcategor...Identification

      Southernstarr linked the library and this in particular might be of interest:

      http://www.koiphen.com/forums/showth...32-Terminology
      Still learning as I go but y'all can call me Marilyn

    11. #11
      BarbJ's Avatar
      BarbJ is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.
       
      Feeling:
      ----
       
      Join Date
      Jul 2005
      Location
      Cupertino, CA. (near San Jose)
      Posts
      2,729
      Then of course, if you really want to get nerdy, you can look up the English translations of the terms; like Ochiba Shigure means "Autumn leave on water" Soragoi, sora is "grey cloudy sky", Kujaku is a peacock, Gin is gold, Rin is sliver, Asagi is a particular type of printed pattern on cotton cloth, made in a certain region of japan, Aka, Beni and Hi are three ways to say Red, Matsuba is a pine tree, Ki is yellow as in Kigoi, Karasu is a crow as in Karasugoi, Budo is grapes as in Budo Goromo, etc.

      I could go on but this is where your friends start to roll their eyes when you bring up Nishikigoi,
      Regards,BarbJ
      Come on by and visit both club's websites!


      Click for Cupertino, California Forecast

    12. #12
      Metro Koi is offline Junior Member
      This user has no status.
       
      Feeling:
      ----
       
      Join Date
      Dec 2012
      Location
      Detroit
      Posts
      8
      Quote Originally Posted by Marilyn View Post
      http://www.koi.com/reference/encyclopedia/

      This one isn't bad.
      I see Mike's issue with the one posted above. They list koi varieties like Tancho Asagi. It really would be an Asagi (with a Tancho or rather Maruten marking). Some of their examples are in the ballpark but it kind of confuses things a bit. Their "Ochiba Tancho" is really just an Ochiba. To be a true Tancho the coloration would not be on the fins or anywhere but the marking on the head.
      I'm not even sure what a Sanke Goshiki Tancho is.
      The one I linked above might be more general but it's more accurate.

      You might be interested in one of these?
      http://www.inlandkoi.com/akkoiidpo.html
      http://www.aquaticeco.com/subcategor...Identification

      Southernstarr linked the library and this in particular might be of interest:

      http://www.koiphen.com/forums/showth...32-Terminology
      Great links. I liked the posters from InlandKoi and aquatice. I think I will buy them.

      Maybe the creators of the link I posted spoke Spanish. In that language, they say "Dog Large" where we say "Large Dog". Just a thought. Thanks for the links.

    13. #13
      Marilyn's Avatar
      Marilyn is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.
       
      Feeling:
      ----
       
      Join Date
      Apr 2008
      Location
      SF Bay area CA
      Posts
      15,978
      It could be, it's one of the problems with the internet. There is a lot of misinformation out there and weeding through inaccuracies to find accurate info is daunting at times.
      Often you will see made up names from those newer to breeding koi. They don't know how to classify it so they think of something clever to list it as so it sells.
      Still learning as I go but y'all can call me Marilyn

    14. #14
      dalozt's Avatar
      dalozt is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.
       
      Feeling:
      ----
       
      Join Date
      Oct 2012
      Location
      Indonesia
      Posts
      1,302


      Russ I think they made a wrong Goshiki Picture in here.. it does looks like Sanke?

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •