• Meh
  • Piratey
  • Poorly
  • Sad
  • Secret
  • Shy
  • Sneaky
  • Tired

Thread: UV Light, Can I turn it back on?

lovin_chevy84 is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

UV Light, Can I turn it back on?

I posted a while back ago asking about Microlift bacteria and Calcium additive, Im almost done w my weekly treatments. The treatments been working, my nitrites are down to .25 with 0 ammonia. Since I have a water softener, I have to add the microlift once a month (after the first month of weekly treatments) and the calcium after each water change. Its an 18w and the guy at store said it kills all my bacteria. Is he right? Its been off for almost a month

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

cindy is offline Administrator
      is Loving retirement

Feeling:
      Happy

Mt. Wash. KY - 7 miles outside Louisville
      I turn it off during fluke and other treatments, turn it back on. Your good bacteria should be growing in your bio filter.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Thanks. Thats what I was thinking since its gone down, Im doing my last weekly treatment today w a water change and doing my filters, but it had me worried.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

I went to the Aquatic Eco-System in Apopka as no one else could help and we finally nailed it to the water softener causing the bio to never regenerate itself

epse30 is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Not sure why water softener would kill bacteria..... It seems more likely that there is chlorine or are chloramines in that water, and that is what is killing your bio-filter.

Regards, Eric <<< does not know much about water softeners

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

I was told that the softener takes everything out of the water that is needed for it grow, calcium, magnesium etc.

davidjensen is offline Senior Member
      is needing more Koi

Feeling:
      Cool

How hard is your source water?
      Need more Koi

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

I don't know, my tests for that are bad but won't it make it soft? Never had a softener, the house had it when I moved in and it leaves a slimy feeling when you're taking a shower like there's still soap. I hate it.

koiman1950 is offline Supporting Member
      is semi retired

Feeling:
      Tired

Quote Originally Posted by lovin_chevy84 View Post
      I went to the Aquatic Eco-System in Apopka as no one else could help and we finally nailed it to the water softener causing the bio to never regenerate itself
      Quote Originally Posted by lovin_chevy84 View Post
      I was told that the softener takes everything out of the water that is needed for it grow, calcium, magnesium etc.
      Well,basically what you've been told and products you've been buying are nothing more than BAD, VERY BAD information. I've had a water softener installed for the house/pond for the last 5 years! It reduces the (GH) General Hardness, but does nothing to reduce the (Kh) Calcium Carbonite hardness. My source water measures right at 300 ppm Gh and 140 Kh. After running through the softener, my Gh reads 25ppm and the Kh still reads 140. I have two lines running to the backyard/pond supply, one is mains water and the other is soft water. I use two valves to allow mixing of the two water sources to produce roughly 150ppm Gh. That's what my pond reads and the Kh reads between 120-140ppm. The Kh is what's important to know for bio film development and Ph steadiness.

Adding bottled bio bugs is nothing more than throwing your money out the window. And, unless you have a very low Kh, the calcium product is a waste as well. If your Kh is below, say, 100ppm, then just use good ole' baking soda to raise it and buffer your Ph at the same time.

Mike
      Mike

check out our website at: http://www.pond-life.net

"Our goal is to assist with emergency and Koi health issues, as well as educate on best practices. Please help us gain a clear picture by giving the original poster time to answer our questions before offering opinions and suggested treatments."

KoiValley is offline WWKC Lifetime Diamond Member #3
      is terrific!

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by koiman1950 View Post
      Well,basically what you've been told and products you've been buying are nothing more than BAD, VERY BAD information. I've had a water softener installed for the house/pond for the last 5 years! It reduces the (GH) General Hardness, but does nothing to reduce the (Kh) Calcium Carbonite hardness. My source water measures right at 300 ppm Gh and 140 Kh. After running through the softener, my Gh reads 25ppm and the Kh still reads 140. I have two lines running to the backyard/pond supply, one is mains water and the other is soft water. I use two valves to allow mixing of the two water sources to produce roughly 150ppm Gh. That's what my pond reads and the Kh reads between 120-140ppm. The Kh is what's important to know for bio film development and Ph steadiness.

Adding bottled bio bugs is nothing more than throwing your money out the window. And, unless you have a very low Kh, the calcium product is a waste as well. If your Kh is below, say, 100ppm, then just use good ole' baking soda to raise it and buffer your Ph at the same time.

Mike
      Now there is some very wise advice. I could have simply said snake oil but I like your breakdown and understanding in the answer. Kudos!
      Karl Schoeler, founder: EIHIOICGI

Certified: AKCA Better Health Practices December 2008

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007