• Amused
  • Angry
  • Annoyed
  • Awesome
  • Bemused
  • Cocky
  • Cool
  • Crazy
  • Crying
  • Depressed
  • Down
  • Drunk
  • Embarrased
  • Enraged
  • Friendly
  • Geeky
  • Godly
  • Happy
  • Hateful
  • Hungry
  • Innocent
  • Meh
  • Piratey
  • Poorly
  • Sad
  • Secret
  • Shy
  • Sneaky
  • Tired
  • Results 1 to 10 of 10

    Thread: UV Light, Can I turn it back on?

    1. #1
      lovin_chevy84's Avatar
      lovin_chevy84 is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.
       
      Feeling:
      ----
       
      Join Date
      Jun 2012
      Location
      Maitland, Fl
      Posts
      1,263

      UV Light, Can I turn it back on?

      I posted a while back ago asking about Microlift bacteria and Calcium additive, Im almost done w my weekly treatments. The treatments been working, my nitrites are down to .25 with 0 ammonia. Since I have a water softener, I have to add the microlift once a month (after the first month of weekly treatments) and the calcium after each water change. Its an 18w and the guy at store said it kills all my bacteria. Is he right? Its been off for almost a month

    2. #2
      cindy's Avatar
      cindy is online now Moderator ~ WWKC Vice President ~
      Koi Health Care Committee Member
      is Hopeful
       
      Feeling:
      Friendly
       
      Join Date
      May 2004
      Location
      Mt. Wash. KY - 7 miles outside Louisville
      Posts
      63,635
      I turn it off during fluke and other treatments, turn it back on. Your good bacteria should be growing in your bio filter.
      My opinions in ER and on this forum are mine only. Use my advice at your own discretion.

      "Our goal is to assist with emergency and Koi health issues, as well as educate on best practices. Please help us gain a clear picture by giving the original poster time to answer our questions before offering opinions and suggested treatments."


      K.O.I.

      Member: EIHIOICGI

      http://www.koiphen.com/forums/showth...nd-Information

      http://www.koiphen.com/forums/showth...06#post2606106 Show thread

    3. #3
      lovin_chevy84's Avatar
      lovin_chevy84 is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.
       
      Feeling:
      ----
       
      Join Date
      Jun 2012
      Location
      Maitland, Fl
      Posts
      1,263
      Thanks. Thats what I was thinking since its gone down, Im doing my last weekly treatment today w a water change and doing my filters, but it had me worried.

    4. #4
      lovin_chevy84's Avatar
      lovin_chevy84 is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.
       
      Feeling:
      ----
       
      Join Date
      Jun 2012
      Location
      Maitland, Fl
      Posts
      1,263
      I went to the Aquatic Eco-System in Apopka as no one else could help and we finally nailed it to the water softener causing the bio to never regenerate itself

    5. #5
      epse30 is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.
       
      Feeling:
      ----
       
      Join Date
      Nov 2009
      Location
      Grandview, NY
      Posts
      813
      Not sure why water softener would kill bacteria..... It seems more likely that there is chlorine or are chloramines in that water, and that is what is killing your bio-filter.

      Regards, Eric <<< does not know much about water softeners

    6. #6
      lovin_chevy84's Avatar
      lovin_chevy84 is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.
       
      Feeling:
      ----
       
      Join Date
      Jun 2012
      Location
      Maitland, Fl
      Posts
      1,263
      I was told that the softener takes everything out of the water that is needed for it grow, calcium, magnesium etc.

    7. #7
      davidjensen's Avatar
      davidjensen is offline Senior Member
      is needing more Koi
       
      Feeling:
      Amused
       
      Join Date
      Oct 2005
      Location
      Bellevue WA USA
      Posts
      2,912
      How hard is your source water?
      Need more Koi

    8. #8
      lovin_chevy84's Avatar
      lovin_chevy84 is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.
       
      Feeling:
      ----
       
      Join Date
      Jun 2012
      Location
      Maitland, Fl
      Posts
      1,263
      I don't know, my tests for that are bad but won't it make it soft? Never had a softener, the house had it when I moved in and it leaves a slimy feeling when you're taking a shower like there's still soap. I hate it.

    9. #9
      koiman1950's Avatar
      koiman1950 is offline Senior Member ~ Koi Health Care Committee Member
      is semi retired
       
      Feeling:
      Tired
       
      Join Date
      Feb 2008
      Location
      San Jose, Ca
      Posts
      19,472
      Quote Originally Posted by lovin_chevy84 View Post
      I went to the Aquatic Eco-System in Apopka as no one else could help and we finally nailed it to the water softener causing the bio to never regenerate itself
      Quote Originally Posted by lovin_chevy84 View Post
      I was told that the softener takes everything out of the water that is needed for it grow, calcium, magnesium etc.
      Well,basically what you've been told and products you've been buying are nothing more than BAD, VERY BAD information. I've had a water softener installed for the house/pond for the last 5 years! It reduces the (GH) General Hardness, but does nothing to reduce the (Kh) Calcium Carbonite hardness. My source water measures right at 300 ppm Gh and 140 Kh. After running through the softener, my Gh reads 25ppm and the Kh still reads 140. I have two lines running to the backyard/pond supply, one is mains water and the other is soft water. I use two valves to allow mixing of the two water sources to produce roughly 150ppm Gh. That's what my pond reads and the Kh reads between 120-140ppm. The Kh is what's important to know for bio film development and Ph steadiness.

      Adding bottled bio bugs is nothing more than throwing your money out the window. And, unless you have a very low Kh, the calcium product is a waste as well. If your Kh is below, say, 100ppm, then just use good ole' baking soda to raise it and buffer your Ph at the same time.

      Mike
      Mike

      check out our website at: http://www.pond-life.net



      "Our goal is to assist with emergency and Koi health issues, as well as educate on best practices. Please help us gain a clear picture by giving the original poster time to answer our questions before offering opinions and suggested treatments."

    10. #10
      KoiValley's Avatar
      KoiValley is offline WWKC Lifetime Diamond Member #3 -
      Koi Health Care Committee Chairman
      This user has no status.
       
      Feeling:
      ----
       
      Join Date
      Oct 2004
      Location
      Koi Valley, Minnesota
      Posts
      6,036
      Quote Originally Posted by koiman1950 View Post
      Well,basically what you've been told and products you've been buying are nothing more than BAD, VERY BAD information. I've had a water softener installed for the house/pond for the last 5 years! It reduces the (GH) General Hardness, but does nothing to reduce the (Kh) Calcium Carbonite hardness. My source water measures right at 300 ppm Gh and 140 Kh. After running through the softener, my Gh reads 25ppm and the Kh still reads 140. I have two lines running to the backyard/pond supply, one is mains water and the other is soft water. I use two valves to allow mixing of the two water sources to produce roughly 150ppm Gh. That's what my pond reads and the Kh reads between 120-140ppm. The Kh is what's important to know for bio film development and Ph steadiness.

      Adding bottled bio bugs is nothing more than throwing your money out the window. And, unless you have a very low Kh, the calcium product is a waste as well. If your Kh is below, say, 100ppm, then just use good ole' baking soda to raise it and buffer your Ph at the same time.

      Mike
      Now there is some very wise advice. I could have simply said snake oil but I like your breakdown and understanding in the answer. Kudos!
      Karl Schoeler, founder: EIHIOICGI

      Certified: AKCA Better Health Practices December 2008




      "Our goal is to assist with emergency and Koi health issues, as well as educate on best practices. Please help us gain a clear picture by giving the original poster time to answer our questions before offering opinions and suggested treatments."

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •