• Amused
  • Angry
  • Annoyed
  • Awesome
  • Bemused
  • Cocky
  • Cool
  • Crazy
  • Crying
  • Depressed
  • Down
  • Drunk
  • Embarrased
  • Enraged
  • Friendly
  • Geeky
  • Godly
  • Happy
  • Hateful
  • Hungry
  • Innocent
  • Meh
  • Piratey
  • Poorly
  • Sad
  • Secret
  • Shy
  • Sneaky
  • Tired
  • Results 1 to 18 of 18

    Thread: Replacement fish from dealer, who should pay shipping cost?

    1. #1
      Koidaddy's Avatar
      Koidaddy is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.
       
      Feeling:
      ----
       
      Join Date
      Aug 2005
      Location
      Montreal, Quebec
      Posts
      3,303

      Question Replacement fish from dealer, who should pay shipping cost?

      Hello everyone,

      It's been a few months since my last post. I have been dealing with many sick fish that I received from a reputable dealer. After working closely with dealer during the recovery of his koi (and mine) I unfortunately lost two fish. Dealer has agreed to replace fish but is asking me to pay shipping costs of approximately $100. Personally, I don't feel I should be paying the shipping cost as it was his fish that arrived at my door in poor condition (ulcers and bruises). I've already invested $250. + for antibiotics, medicated food, and vet consultation fees...

      Anyway, that being said, am I off base by expecting dealer to pay the shipping fee? FYI: My fish order was over $3000.

      Please chime in and let me know your thoughts.

      Thanks!
      Chris
      Have You Hugged Your Koi Today?


    2. #2
      Rick Gippner's Avatar
      Rick Gippner is offline Supporting Member
      This user has no status.
       
      Feeling:
      ----
       
      Join Date
      May 2006
      Location
      At work mostly, sometimes at home
      Posts
      8,416
      I don't know who the dealer is, and don't want to. Unless you know for a fact that the fish were damaged and/or diseased prior to shipping, or that they were not properly packaged the dealer is not responsible for the losses and unfortunately freight companies usually don't take responsibility for live shipments. The dealer in question seems to be going above and beyond to help make things right for you. I'd pay the shipping.
      Rick

      I've always wanted to be out, standing in my field
      Indecisiveness is the key to flexibilty
      Koi keeping teaches humility!


      Home Work




    3. #3
      rainblood's Avatar
      rainblood is offline Assembler of Water Droplets
      is The Plantinator
       
      Feeling:
      Piratey
       
      Join Date
      Feb 2008
      Location
      Valhalla
      Posts
      15,819
      I honestly do not know what the proper etiquette is, but I'd have to lean towards the customer paying shipping.
      When you buy stuff online and need to return it...you either bring it back to a brick and mortar location (if they have one) or pay to ship it back to the vendor.
      If you apply that same principle to koi, then the burden would be on the customer...but there are specific scenarios, depending on the amount of money spent, out of courtesy, etc.
      I would think the general rule would be the customer with exceptions
      -Rain

      :I CAN'T BRING THIS SHIP INTO TRTUGA ALL BY ME ONESIES, SAVVY?:

    4. #4
      Koidaddy's Avatar
      Koidaddy is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.
       
      Feeling:
      ----
       
      Join Date
      Aug 2005
      Location
      Montreal, Quebec
      Posts
      3,303
      Quote Originally Posted by rainblood View Post
      I honestly do not know what the proper etiquette is, but I'd have to lean towards the customer paying shipping.
      When you buy stuff online and need to return it...you either bring it back to a brick and mortar location (if they have one) or pay to ship it back to the vendor.
      If you apply that same principle to koi, then the burden would be on the customer...but there are specific scenarios, depending on the amount of money spent, out of courtesy, etc.
      I would think the general rule would be the customer with exceptions
      Three of the 7 fish ordered arrived with issues. One with ulcer on bottom lip, one with clamped fins and bruising the last just with bruises. I could go on, but I won't.

      BTW, this was NOT RUSSELL.
      Have You Hugged Your Koi Today?


    5. #5
      ponyboy2442 is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.
       
      Feeling:
      ----
       
      Join Date
      Oct 2009
      Location
      Rockland NY
      Posts
      1,472
      I agree with you dealer should pay all
      I know kodoma has and 1 other for sure not my koi but a friend
      If he admits he shipped koi which he must because he is shipping new ones then he should include shipping

    6. #6
      rosekoi's Avatar
      rosekoi is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.
       
      Feeling:
      ----
       
      Join Date
      Feb 2008
      Location
      portsmouth ohio
      Posts
      2,866
      Quote Originally Posted by Rick Gippner View Post
      I don't know who the dealer is, and don't want to. Unless you know for a fact that the fish were damaged and/or diseased prior to shipping, or that they were not properly packaged the dealer is not responsible for the losses and unfortunately freight companies usually don't take responsibility for live shipments. The dealer in question seems to be going above and beyond to help make things right for you. I'd pay the shipping.



      __________________

    7. #7
      cindy's Avatar
      cindy is offline WWKC Vice President
      is God is good
       
      Feeling:
      Happy
       
      Join Date
      May 2004
      Location
      Mt. Wash. KY - 7 miles outside Louisville
      Posts
      64,332
      If the fish were sick, they shouldn't have been shipped. The dealer should have told you there were problems. If they were sick and shipped, I'd want the dealer to pay the shipping or offer to refund the fish I lost.
      My opinions in ER and on this forum are mine only. Use my advice at your own discretion.

      "Our goal is to assist with emergency and Koi health issues, as well as educate on best practices. Please help us gain a clear picture by giving the original poster time to answer our questions before offering opinions and suggested treatments."


      K.O.I.

      Member: EIHIOICGI

      http://www.koiphen.com/forums/showth...nd-Information

      http://www.koiphen.com/forums/showth...06#post2606106 Show thread

    8. #8
      Ramzy's Avatar
      Ramzy is offline Supporting Member
      This user has no status.
       
      Feeling:
      ----
       
      Join Date
      Nov 2010
      Location
      Springfield pa
      Posts
      442
      Agreed with Cindy..

    9. #9
      Koidaddy's Avatar
      Koidaddy is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.
       
      Feeling:
      ----
       
      Join Date
      Aug 2005
      Location
      Montreal, Quebec
      Posts
      3,303
      All has been resolved. Dealer is now paying for shipping. Two and a half months of taking care of sick fish can sure wreak havoc on one's nerves. That being said, some good has come out of this, it's been a good learning experience despite the heartache. Think I could probably inject anti b's using my left foot while feeding and doing water changes with my hands!

      Thanks for chiming in just the same!

      Happy Holidays, People!

      Don't Drink and Drive - Arrive Alive!!
      Have You Hugged Your Koi Today?


    10. #10
      epse30 is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.
       
      Feeling:
      ----
       
      Join Date
      Nov 2009
      Location
      Grandview, NY
      Posts
      813
      I agree with Cindy and the OP. sick = no ship... I would never OK sick fish to be shipped to me, if asked, so why is it my responsibility if it occurs. In past had breeder ship some with problems, They were very apologetic, replaced losses and paid shipping.


      "Two and a half months of taking care of sick fish can sure wreak havoc on one's nerves. That being said, some good has come out of this, it's been a good learning experience despite the heartache. Think I could probably inject anti b's using my left foot while feeding and doing water changes with my hands!"

      Glad it worked out well, in the end.

      Eric

    11. #11
      Longfin Lover's Avatar
      Longfin Lover is offline Senior Member
      is Northern Ponder
       
      Feeling:
      Happy
       
      Join Date
      Mar 2010
      Location
      Near Guelph, Ontario, Canada
      Posts
      1,678
      I knew you were having problems. Did you loose theirs or two of yours? Are they all OK now?
      How about showing us pictures of your new herd?

      proudly Canadian

    12. #12
      Russell Peters's Avatar
      Russell Peters is offline Supporting Member
      This user has no status.
       
      Feeling:
      ----
       
      Join Date
      Dec 2007
      Location
      people vehemently defend their purchases and find it incredulous that anything could be better
      Posts
      25,359
      Quote Originally Posted by Koidaddy View Post
      Three of the 7 fish ordered arrived with issues. One with ulcer on bottom lip, one with clamped fins and bruising the last just with bruises. I could go on, but I won't.

      BTW, this was NOT RUSSELL.
      people like to vehemently defend their purchases and find it incredulous that anything could be better

    13. #13
      The Koi Dude's Avatar
      The Koi Dude is offline Supporting Member
      This user has no status.
       
      Feeling:
      ----
       
      Join Date
      May 2009
      Location
      Westchester New York
      Posts
      828
      Hope you never buy from this dealer again.. Sick fish should never be shipped.
      Joe
      Founding Member of The Tri-State ZNA Koi Club https://www.facebook.com/ZNANorthAmericaDistrict
      Proud Subscriber/Supporter of Koi USA, The Official Magazine of the AKCA
      Proud Subscriber to Nichirin magazine





    14. #14
      kingkong's Avatar
      kingkong is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.
       
      Feeling:
      ----
       
      Join Date
      Jan 2005
      Location
      Miami, Florida
      Posts
      1,824
      All fish have issues. We are lucky with the thanks to plastic bags and oxygen and jet aircraft and delivery trucks and giant computers we even get fish. Fish go through hell on these trips. From ammonia spikes, pH changes, total panic, bounced around in total black out and then the fun has just started. More new water and more chemicals and poisons and injections and handling in tiny Q tanks. It is a miracle that 50% live.
      I would go 50-50 on the shipping.

    15. #15
      Blammo's Avatar
      Blammo is offline Senior Member
      is Pretty !
       
      Feeling:
      Crazy
       
      Join Date
      Apr 2004
      Location
      Casa Presidente, Caracas
      Posts
      6,076
      Quote Originally Posted by kingkong View Post
      All fish have issues. We are lucky with the thanks to plastic bags and oxygen and jet aircraft and delivery trucks and giant computers we even get fish. Fish go through hell on these trips. From ammonia spikes, pH changes, total panic, bounced around in total black out and then the fun has just started. More new water and more chemicals and poisons and injections and handling in tiny Q tanks. It is a miracle that 50% live.
      I would go 50-50 on the shipping.
      I thought I saw a PETF sticker on that truck !
      PURA VIDA
      COSTA RICA

      They hate our freedom....

      "Every decent man is ashamed of the government he lives under." - H.L. Mencken


      "When I give food to the poor, they call me a saint. When I ask why the poor have no food, they call me a communist."
      - Dom Helda Camara

      "The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts."
      - Bertrand Russell

      "Untouched by the breath of God, unrestricted by human conscience, both capitalism and socialism are repulsive."
      - Alexander Solzhenitsyn

    16. #16
      Cowiche Ponder's Avatar
      Cowiche Ponder is offline Living my life's dream
      This user has no status.
       
      Feeling:
      ----
       
      Join Date
      Aug 2004
      Location
      Cowiche, WA
      Posts
      20,805
      Quote Originally Posted by Blammo View Post
      I thought I saw a PETF sticker on that truck !
      people eating tasty fish?? No thank Blammo..I don't eat koi

    17. #17
      CrazyKoiWoman69's Avatar
      CrazyKoiWoman69 is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.
       
      Feeling:
      ----
       
      Join Date
      Apr 2014
      Location
      Hickory, North Carolina
      Posts
      532
      Quote Originally Posted by cindy View Post
      If the fish were sick, they shouldn't have been shipped. The dealer should have told you there were problems. If they were sick and shipped, I'd want the dealer to pay the shipping or offer to refund the fish I lost.
      I totally agree with this. Unless you knew and agreed to take them anyway.
      Member of KOI Clubs. Owner of KrazyKoiFish in the works


      "Live everyday like it's your last, and someday you'll be right"

      Zone 7b

    18. #18
      Spaun is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.
       
      Feeling:
      ----
       
      Join Date
      Apr 2010
      Location
      Mi.
      Posts
      854
      I would not have accepted the fish in the first place. Unless you agreed to take on sick fish? Glad everything's working out though.
      Click for Southgate, Michigan Forecast

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •