• Tired
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Marudo sanke

jtp79 is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Marudo sanke

I had some friends pick her out for me on their Japan trip. What do you think? The sanke is Nisai and is 57.5 cm or 23 inches at time of purchase.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6--ifIiWMWM
      Last edited by jtp79; 01-31-2013 at 05:34 PM. Reason: edit to add size

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Here are a few pics
      Attached Images Attached Images      

powerman is offline Supporting Member
      is Still koi keeping

Feeling:
      ----

Very nice sanke... good skin, shiroji,beni and sumi... looks very good in the video... congrats
      DAN

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by powerman View Post
      Very nice sanke... good skin, shiroji,beni and sumi... looks very good in the video... congrats
      Thanks Dan, I was very impressed with what they chose from my price range. I think the quality is there and I have high expectations for this girl. I am not in love with the beni pattern but I think it will look alot better as she gets bigger. It is a pretty plain beni pattern but it does have some interesting cuts and I think alot more shiroji will show when she gets wider.

Billy Pounds is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

nice Jeremy...clear face, nice shoulders, kiwa is pretty crisp..looks like good quality colors....good job....funny, the pattern is the only thing that didn't look like what i'd want....but that is supposed to be the last thing you pick for anyway....check out my new Showa in the post under yours....hows the weather up there.....64 degrees on the water here...been warm until this last storm Saturday afternoon...haven't checked it this week

koiman1950 is offline Supporting Member
      is semi retired

Feeling:
      Tired

Well Jeremy, although it has very nice tejima on the pecs, there's sumi on the right gill plate and there are several areas where the sumi is below the lateral line, so, are you really sure it's a sanke?!?!?!?

Just kidding! I thought you might get a kick out of that reply based on the "other" thread concerning this matter.

Actually, I am not a fan of omoyo pattern fish, but this one I would make an exception for. You're correct, the pattern at this size/age may not be as appealing as, say, a sandan or yondan pattern with a nice break at the shoulder, but when she gets to 30+", she will fill out that pattern, body wise, and be extremely beautiful. Look forward to progress pics over the next couple years!

I had to laugh, out loud even, while watching that video you posted. At the very end, somebody is saying this is a showa!?! Probably based solely on the black gill plate and the sumi below the lateral line. See, the lines are blurrier and blurrier, huh?!!? LOL

Mike
      Last edited by koiman1950; 11-05-2012 at 02:41 PM.
      Mike

check out our website at: http://www.pond-life.net

"Our goal is to assist with emergency and Koi health issues, as well as educate on best practices. Please help us gain a clear picture by giving the original poster time to answer our questions before offering opinions and suggested treatments."

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by koiman1950 View Post
      Well Jeremy, although it has very nice tejima on the pecs, there's sumi on the right gill plate and there are several areas where the sumi is below the lateral line, so, are you really sure it's a sanke?!?!?!?

Just kidding! I thought you might get a kick out of that reply based on the "other" thread concerning this matter.

Actually, I am not a fan of omoyo pattern fish, but this one I would make an exception for. You're correct, the pattern at this size/age may not be as appealing as, say, a sandan or yondan pattern with a nice break at the shoulder, but when she gets to 30+", she will fill out that pattern, body wise, and be extremely beautiful. Look forward to progress pics over the next couple years!

I had to laugh, out loud even, while watching that video you posted. At the very end, somebody is saying this is a showa!?! Probably based solely on the black gill plate and the sumi below the lateral line. See, the lines are blurrier and blurrier, huh?!!? LOL

Mike
      Thanks Mike

I heard the conversation at the end and I think someone says something about motoguru on the pecs and Troy says that is on a showa, referring to the motoguru. I am assuming the single step pattern is what made this koi in my price range. I am very impressed the the body shape, the size, and the quality all around. My goal was a long term fish, something I could put in the mud for atleast two years and hopefully get near that 30 inch illusive mark. This is by far the best koi I have ever bought, lets just hope I dont screw it up.

Edit, She actually does have a break in the beni pattern to make her a two step but the sumi is covering alot of that area now and makes her appear as a solid pattern. And this is a perfect example of pictures of koi,,,,to me she looks a LOT better in the video than in the pictures.
      Last edited by jtp79; 11-05-2012 at 02:52 PM.

C C is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Jeremy, you are right we are discussing the correct term for black on the pecs of a Sanke and it was mentioned that on a Showa that term is Motoguru......we were making sure that it pronounced correctly that was the debate......

I guess I didn't pick up the entire conversation on my video.....sorry...

There was never a doubt to us the was a Sanke.....and a very nice one at that.....

is semi retired

Feeling:
      Tired

Quote Originally Posted by jtp79 View Post
      Thanks Mike

I heard the conversation at the end and I think someone says something about motoguru on the pecs and Troy says that is on a showa, referring to the motoguru. I am assuming the single step pattern is what made this koi in my price range. I am very impressed the the body shape, the size, and the quality all around. My goal was a long term fish, something I could put in the mud for atleast two years and hopefully get near that 30 inch illusive mark. This is by far the best koi I have ever bought, lets just hope I dont screw it up.
      The first time I went to Japan was in 2001 with Tom from Champkoi. We were heading to Marudo's place and after the visit he told me he was very surprised by the number of showa that he had and the lack of Sanke that were available. He said Marudo made is reputation on Sanke early on. We had to go back to select some fish as our first visit was quite late in the day. So, when we returned, Tom asked Hirasawa-san about this. He said it was getting very difficult to get many good sanke from a spawn and there wasn't enough money in breeding them anymore. So, he switched a lot of his efforts to Showa breeding. He still breeds Sanke, as you can see and they are of a very nice to high quality. BTW, that is his daughter handling your fish in the bowl. He doesn't have a son and she is the rare female who more than likely will be taking over when he gets too old. That, as you can see from his picture in the Sacramento Koi/Japan thread is still quite a ways away. He's still one of the younger master breeders that hasn't passed the torch yet!

Mike
      Mike

"Our goal is to assist with emergency and Koi health issues, as well as educate on best practices. Please help us gain a clear picture by giving the original poster time to answer our questions before offering opinions and suggested treatments."

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

The first time I went to Japan was in 2001 with Tom from Champkoi. We were heading to Marudo's place and after the visit he told me he was very surprised by the number of showa that he had and the lack of Sanke that were available. He said Marudo made is reputation on Sanke early on. We had to go back to select some fish as our first visit was quite late in the day. So, when we returned, Tom asked Hirasawa-san about this. He said it was getting very difficult to get many good sanke from a spawn and there wasn't enough money in breeding them anymore. So, he switched a lot of his efforts to Showa breeding. He still breeds Sanke, as you can see and they are of a very nice to high quality. BTW, that is his daughter handling your fish in the bowl. He doesn't have a son and she is the rare female who more than likely will be taking over when he gets too old. That, as you can see from his picture in the Sacramento Koi/Japan thread is still quite a ways away. He's still one of the younger master breeders that hasn't passed the torch yet!

Mike
      Very interesting information Mike. I didnt even notice the earrings in the picture until you pointed out that it was the daughter.

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

premster is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

damm that is a lovely fish
      Prem

kdh is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

I like the sumi star. Nice koi indeed.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by premster View Post
      damm that is a lovely fish

Quote Originally Posted by kdh View Post
      I like the sumi star. Nice koi indeed.
      Thanks

Koi Acres is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Mike
      Over the last few years Marudo has put alot of effort into Sanke again and it shows, this year Sanke out numbered Showa, Kohaku numbers are about the same. He does have 2 sons, Toshi is being groomed to take over in the future (still a ways off) his daughter is considered a staff member.
      Mike

Weekends are for Enjoying your pond..... not working on them.

Russell Peters is offline Supporting Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by Koi Acres View Post
      Over the last few years Marudo has put alot of effort into Sanke again and it shows, this year Sanke out numbered Showa, Kohaku numbers are about the same. He does have 2 sons, Toshi is being groomed to take over in the future (still a ways off) his daughter is considered a staff member.

That's what I thought. I was there two years ago and met him but couldn't remember for sure.
      people like to vehemently defend their purchases and find it incredulous that anything could be better

is semi retired

Feeling:
      Tired

Shows how much I remember. It's been quite a while since I visited there. I guess his son was too young then to remember. I thought it was odd too that a daughter would take over the business considering how the Japanese family works with regards to this. But, I will say, that's too bad because she's a very hard worker and knows her stuff about koi! Thanks for clarifying the family tree!

Mike
      Mike

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Shows how much I remember. It's been quite a while since I visited there. I guess his son was too young then to remember. I thought it was odd too that a daughter would take over the business considering how the Japanese family works with regards to this. But, I will say, that's too bad because she's a very hard worker and knows her stuff about koi! Thanks for clarifying the family tree!

Mike
      Mike,

I don't think you met him when we went there the last time you were with us.
      people like to vehemently defend their purchases and find it incredulous that anything could be better

is semi retired

Feeling:
      Tired

Quote Originally Posted by Russell Peters View Post
      Mike,

I don't think you met him when we went there the last time you were with us.
      You're right Russ, I don't remember Toshi at all. You know how things go when a Kichi gets into a greenhouse full of really nice fish. Plus, if memory serves me, he had a few other customers there at the time and we didn't want to wait in line as we had other breeders to go see. There was someone else missing from a very familiar breeder's place. I didn't see him in ANY of the pics you posted. Hmmm!

Mike
      Mike

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

You're right Russ, I don't remember Toshi at all. You know how things go when a Kichi gets into a greenhouse full of really nice fish. Plus, if memory serves me, he had a few other customers there at the time and we didn't want to wait in line as we had other breeders to go see. There was someone else missing from a very familiar breeder's place. I didn't see him in ANY of the pics you posted. Hmmm!

Mike
      He was there.

is semi retired

Feeling:
      Tired

Quote Originally Posted by Russell Peters View Post
      He was there.
      Okay, great. I was hoping nothing happened.

Mike
      Mike

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast