• Sneaky
  • Tired

Thread: Spawn safe pond retention wall ideas needed

Belpesci is offline Junior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Spawn safe pond retention wall ideas needed

My pond was dug by a contractor while I was away at work. He enlarged it and dug a bit too far into the side hill. I now have an errosion issue to deal with but because of where it is I can't slope the sides so I need some kind of retaining wall that the fish won't hurt themselves on come spawning time. Right now I have liners temporarily held down by rocks. Don't want to do a stone wall for fear of injuries but what else can I do? Wood will rot, concrete with leach and be rough, same with pavers etc. He did dig me an 18 inch shelf along the side of the pond wall so I can build something there without it sliding to the bottom of the pond. Need advice soon before winter comes and takes the yard away.
      Thanks,
      Jeanne

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

inazuma28 is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

i am having a little trouble painting the picture of what you are describing, but if what you are looking for is a retaining wall that the fish can slam themselves into with minimal injury, you could use creepers and ground phlox over a rock wall. the stuff spread like wildfire. Half of the coping (field stone ) of my pond is covered in phlox. If you dot trust that plants will give you enough 'cushion' than you could try a spray on rubber/ spray on liner right over whatever structure is easiest to install. I hope that helped

Graham is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

you want to put this inside the pond?
      the simplest explanation is usually the correct one......... Occams razor....

Belpesci is offline Junior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Hopefully I did this right and it shows a picture of the side of my pond that needs a retention wall. The wall goes into the water at a vertical angle and I can't slope it back or it would get too close to my septic system. You can see it is already starting to errode where there is no liner. Below the waterline is a shelf that comes out about 18 inches on which I could build a rock wall - but like I say, that scares me. I guess I could plant between the rock wall but I would have to take that liner off first. I would like to put wood or stone over the liner to help protecet against errosion better. The liner only goes to the bottom of the wall and is held down by rock under there. Not good.

Bindi is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

The septic that close concerns me. I'd be digging a trench between the pond and the septic and build your stone or preferably block wall there without disturbing the septic. Use a plastic membrane on both sides before you backfill. Once that is done you can drop the pond level and cut the proper slope in the pond wall. That way it will still be a clay side and won't hurt the fish.
      Bindi
      ------

"When it comes to breeding koi, there are no failures, just a delay in getting where you want to go, and in the process towards success, another chapter learned... Dick Benbow"

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007