• Sneaky
  • Tired

Thread: Help with housing koi indoors

Starr is offline Junior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Help with housing koi indoors

I am new to this forum and new to baby koi. This April my two koi who were very expensive and were suppose to be males spawned and now I have probably close to 100 koi who are between 2 to 4 inches long. At this time of year I don't believe I can sell them and would like to winter them indoors in my basement
      I have looked into tubs and have found Rubbermaid stock tanks which I was hoping would be ok but am open for suggestions. I have also looked into filters and pumps but am not sure what would be the best. I've read reviews on the Tetra Brilliant G filters and The Coralife pumps. Again any help would be appreciated.

I'm not looking into breeding koi on a regular basis but these koi are very nice looking fish and since I raised them from eggs I would like to let them get bigger and either sell them next spring or at the very least find them good homes. Their mother is a blue koi and I believe the male is a showa, again this information comes from the breed who told me his fish came from Japan and that they were both males lol

If you could direct me to where I could find more info on this forum or anywhere It would be great. I've Googled alot and there doesn't seem to be much info on indoor ponds. I've already figured out that It's probably not going to be an inexpensive endeavor, sigh, but I'm willing to give it a shot, I just want to set up their housing the right way.

Thanks for reading this far!
      Edie

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

Leekinneykoi is offline Supporting Member
      is 17 years and still working on
      the 2 week pond

Feeling:
      ----

Welcome to Koiphen Edie, there are many people using rubbermaid stock tanks here for fish/plants/quaranteen tanks plus tons of other setups including swimming pools.
      Here are some quaranteen tanks including the popular 300 gallon rubbermaid (I have 2 I use for plants and fish) https://www.koiphen.com/forums/showth...32#post1057432
      The diy section in construction is a great place to start for ideas of ponds and any filter you can imagine has likely already been created by someone.
      https://www.koiphen.com/forums/showth...n)-3rd-edition.
      My favorite Quotes:

The person who makes no mistakes usually does not make anything.
      Everything starts as somebody's daydream
      Experience is a dear teacher, but fools will learn from no other

Proud Annual Charter Member # 3

jimfish98 is offline Supporting Member
      is not losing sleep over the
      opinion of sheep

Feeling:
      ----

Depending on your basement size, you may want to look into inex pools. This is the right time of year when they start going on sale or get discounted. It will give some more room and help with perameter fluxuations you get with koi fry. You can hook plumbing up to the skimmer and then plumb through the sidewall for a bottom drain. You may also want to consider getting a dehumidifier in the basement to controll moisture build up. I grew up east of you near Syracuse, so I know those basements get cold, consider getting some foam insullation sheets to place whatever tank you are using on to avoid heavy swings in temperature. Filtration wise, I would consider a sand and gravel as it should handle to load well without breaking the bank since this is not a planned venture to repeat in the future.

Starr is offline Junior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Thanks for the links, I have been reading for hours and am getting more confused LOL. I see that many people have problems with the rubbermaid tanks leaking, would a galvanized stock tank work and be ok for the fish as I don't want to go the pool route. I would rather purchase a filter, pump and whatever else that I would need rather than try and construct something myself. This is a very busy time of year for my business and I just don't have the time. Right now the fish are in 2, 75 gallon aquariums and I'm doing water changes every other day which is fine but I really need to get something better set up soon. Are there vendors on this board that have the filters and supplies as I would rather support them than just a random source.

Leekinneykoi is offline Supporting Member
      is 17 years and still working on
      the 2 week pond

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by Starr View Post
      Thanks for the links, I have been reading for hours and am getting more confused LOL. I see that many people have problems with the rubbermaid tanks leaking, would a galvanized stock tank work and be ok for the fish as I don't want to go the pool route. I would rather purchase a filter, pump and whatever else that I would need rather than try and construct something myself. This is a very busy time of year for my business and I just don't have the time. Right now the fish are in 2, 75 gallon aquariums and I'm doing water changes every other day which is fine but I really need to get something better set up soon. Are there vendors on this board that have the filters and supplies as I would rather support them than just a random source.
      I am going to move your thread to pond construction forum Starr, as more of our helpful vendors will likely see it there and reply to you with ideas or supplies you are looking for. Not sure who has rubbermaid tanks leaking but I have used them for years indoors and outside with no problems
      My favorite Quotes:

The person who makes no mistakes usually does not make anything.
      Everything starts as somebody's daydream
      Experience is a dear teacher, but fools will learn from no other

Proud Annual Charter Member # 3

birdman is offline DIY Savant
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

I would look into the smaller intex swimming pools, the ones with the metal frame. Then just use a shower drain going out the side as close to the bottom as you can. This can feed a small pump then a DIY sand/gravel filter. Many people use set up's like this for QT tanks and it works good. Another option is to make a wood framed tank with a liner in it.

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007