Thread: red streaks in fins and over all pink tent to 3 of 6 koi

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
      cyclist71 is offline Junior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

red streaks in fins and over all pink tent to 3 of 6 koi

I was not able to post in time to save all of three( one died today) but on sunday july 29 I noticed 3 of my 6 koi laying on the bottom of my temporary pond. The all had fins clamped and red streaks in there fins.

No new fish have been added.
      They have been in this temporary pond (500 gallon hot tub.) if you will since October of last year while i construct a new 26000 gallon pond.
      I have an 1800 gph pump with a uv light with a 2 stage 100 gallon biofilter with 2 water falls and 1 air stone.
      Water is clear.
      My koi range from about 8 in -12 in in size. (they are pet smart koi i wanted to start out with low cost on koi before i jump full blown.)
      I purchased my house a few years ago and it had a very small 200 gallon puddle with 4 small koi only a couple of inches. Needless to say since i didnt know what i was doing i accidentally killed the originals by using city water to add water. (lesson Learned there.)
      water test are as follows and have been at these ranges since before i put koi in the hot tub. The hot tub was not in use and had no chemicals in it i fushed the system several times to get any chlorine out of it.

I quarantined the 3 sick koi on sunday in a 40 gal tank that i have inside my house. the water temp is 70. i suspected it was septicemia but i dont have a scope and the nearest koi club is 150 miles away.

The 3 sick ones will swim if you touch them, but will soon stop and either sink to the bottom or rise to the top.
      I started them on Maracyn_two. I have done an 80% water change everyday before adding new medicine.

The water parameters are as follows

ph 7.5
      nh3 0 (ammonia)
      no2 0 (nitrite)
      po4 0 (phosphate)

I have attached a couple of pics of the 2 that are alive and in quarantine. I also added a pic of the hot tub.
      Attached Images Attached Images      

cindy is offline Administrator
      is Loving retirement

Feeling:
      Happy

Mt. Wash. KY - 7 miles outside Louisville
      reading

is Loving retirement

Feeling:
      Happy

Did you recently get these at Petsmart? Could have had issues before you got them. If they are upside down, not much hope

is Loving retirement

Feeling:
      Happy

What are you using to treat the water?

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

i am treating the quarantine koi with Maracyn-two

Stardust12081 is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

It does sound like septicemia. Red streaks an also be caused by stress. My big males get streaks when they are about to spawn. If it is an infection and your fish caught and died from it so fast it would make me want to do water changes, check my filtration, add salt, recheck my levels, etc. When did you get them? Usually you have a little more warning with septicemia than two or three days from my experience with it. Any have their fins getting red for a while? Nitrite poisoning can also cause red streaks. How are your other fish doing? Any signs of streaking? Fins clamped, at bottom, etc? If they are streaking too you can check gils-they should be red. If whitish/greyish= internal infection.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

My others are fine and i do a 20% w/c every week. i have had all these koi for over a year and a half.
      I believe the cause was from a bird feeder i had set up close to the pond because i was finding bird seed in it, also I am in Wichita Falls Texas where we have been over 100 the past 22 days and some of those days over 110.
      i test my water everyday due to this excessive heat we have to try and catch a crash before it happens.

is Loving retirement

Feeling:
      Happy

Quote Originally Posted by cyclist71 View Post
      My others are fine and i do a 20% w/c every week. i have had all these koi for over a year and a half.
      I believe the cause was from a bird feeder i had set up close to the pond because i was finding bird seed in it, also I am in Wichita Falls Texas where we have been over 100 the past 22 days and some of those days over 110.
      i test my water everyday due to this excessive heat we have to try and catch a crash before it happens.
      What are you treating the water with to do water changes? The bird seed shouldn't have hurt them, my birds bath in the bio and the ducks are getting under my net.

Feel their slime coat to see if its rough, dry or slimy. The white one looks like it has a notched nose which is a sign of costia, a quick killer. What temp is the water? Also with the heat, I'd get more heat going.

What type of crash are you talking about? Do you have a kh test kit? Do they have some shade? I think I'd be going the parasite route since you've already done the antibiotics.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

ok it is a week later and i am down to 1 the one that is floating upside down in pics above he started swimming fine and appeared to be on the rebound. but i have noticed he is losing scales, hasnt eaten in a week eyes are sinking in. i also noticed on the pec fins at the join he has an open wounds now. I am at a lost. my friend gave me a scope but it is a kids toy from walmart i tried to do a scrape but this scope is junk for what i need. i am at a loss on what to do.

is Loving retirement

Feeling:
      Happy

Kinda torn on this one. You've treated for bacterial infection so that leaves water problems or parasites. If water is good, then parasites. I'd start with proform C. Sinking eyes is a sign of Costia and a quick killer. The ER thread has the 3 day dosing on Proform C, then I'd do Prazi or Fluke M to eliminate flukes.

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

i tried to save them. the last one has died. thank you all for the help and advise. I really need to by me a good scope for future problems