• Tired
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A long lesson on concrete.

JD Lloyd is offline Junior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Please give me a lesson on the best sealer to use on a new concrete pond

I am in the process of building a new concrete pond. The folks doing the concrete work are a large swimming pool contractor and they will use shotcrete. The walls and bottom will be 8 inches thick with # 3 rebar in a 12 inch grid. when I started trying to figure out what kind of sealer would be best I have gotten advice that is all over the place. Yesterday I was told that a product called UGL DRYLOK EXTREME would be the way to go. This product is a paint.......Please advise......JD Lloyd

RichToyBox is online now Administrator ~ WWKC BOD ~
      Koi Health Care Committee Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      Awesome

Good concrete, well cured needs nothing as a sealer. Many on here have used an admixture called Xypex which will, supposedly, create a crystal structure through the concrete blocking any pores that water could find its way through. Be sure that your plumbing is pond plumbing and not swimming pool plumbing as there is a significant difference in the power of the pumps, and the amount of debris to remove from the pond. The only coating that I would use in a pond is the same one used by the swimming pool construction, which is well tried and true to hold water. Many of the paint on have a high frequency of failures, pealing off. Concrete really does not tolerate coatings very well. Most are film forming which allows vapor pressure to build up in the concrete and put them off.

Pool contractors doing shotcrete tend to leave the shotcrete too rough for the finish surface on a pond. Get them to go the extra mile and give the concrete a finish more like a floor.

"Our goal is to assist with emergency and Koi health issues, as well as educate on best practices. Please help us gain a clear picture by giving the original poster time to answer our questions before offering opinions and suggested treatments."

Zone 7 A/B
      Keep your words sweet. You never know when you may have to eat them.
      Richard

Mr. C is offline Junior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Thanks for this! Just posted my first thread... and it now looks like a stupid question because it's all about concrete. I just want to use enough to seal up the base of my expanded waterfall and tie together (fill in the gaps) of the matching, large stone slabs ringing the pond edge. From what I've read, Rich, I won't have all that much water in contact with concrete/cement/mortar. And perhaps therein lies the question: What should I use to do this? Enlarging the base of the waterfall, along with placing giant stone slabs, has created a nagging water loss that I'd like to "seal" off without rebuilding waterfall. That must be done... and I think the "mortared" stone slabs can create a nice edge / waterline so that the liner is hidden. I saw somewhere online where a guy (seemed reputable) came up with a mixture of concrete so it wouldn't need to be cured?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12