Thread: Controlling ammonia in bare bottom tank

RichToyBox is offline Administrator ~ WWKC BOD ~
      Koi Health Care Committee Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by Bobbi K. View Post
      Hi,
      I know this thread is old, but I thought I would just add my comments too. I have a 75 gallon bare bottom tank with 44 fish (12 are neon tetras). I feed once day and I have two AquaClear 110 Filters and I've recently added some live Anarcharis plants. I always have ammonia issues and this is because I have too many fish and I feed too much!! LOL!! I know it, but it is what it is and my only solution to keep my ammonia down is to do frequent water changes! I have to do them every other day (omg!)... sometimes I can get away with every 72 hrs. instead. When i do my water changes, I use Stress Coat, Prime, Stability, Quick Start and some Aquarium Salt. I have Platys, Mollies and Swordtails besides the Tetras. I love my tank, BUT it's a lot of work to keep it healthy!! The only way to keep your ammonia down in a bare bottom tank is to have great filtration... don't change out your medias all at once and rinse with tank water, don't overstock with fish... it should be your tank size minus 20 percent and that is how many inches of fish you should have, and lastly, don't overfeed!! Good Luck!! You can see my tank on youtube at: https://www.youtube.com/edit?o=U&video_id=xkMxDFQmg5c Enjoy the video!! Bobbi
      The Youtube link takes me to my own videos, so probably the wrong link. Look for the embed code and paste it into the post.

"Our goal is to assist with emergency and Koi health issues, as well as educate on best practices. Please help us gain a clear picture by giving the original poster time to answer our questions before offering opinions and suggested treatments."

Zone 7 A/B
      Keep your words sweet. You never know when you may have to eat them.
      Richard

jimfish98 is online now Senior Member
      is not losing sleep over the
      opinion of sheep

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by Bobbi K. View Post
      Hi,
      I know this thread is old, but I thought I would just add my comments too. I have a 75 gallon bare bottom tank with 44 fish (12 are neon tetras). I feed once day and I have two AquaClear 110 Filters and I've recently added some live Anarcharis plants. I always have ammonia issues and this is because I have too many fish and I feed too much!! LOL!! I know it, but it is what it is and my only solution to keep my ammonia down is to do frequent water changes! I have to do them every other day (omg!)... sometimes I can get away with every 72 hrs. instead. When i do my water changes, I use Stress Coat, Prime, Stability, Quick Start and some Aquarium Salt. I have Platys, Mollies and Swordtails besides the Tetras. I love my tank, BUT it's a lot of work to keep it healthy!! The only way to keep your ammonia down in a bare bottom tank is to have great filtration... don't change out your medias all at once and rinse with tank water, don't overstock with fish... it should be your tank size minus 20 percent and that is how many inches of fish you should have, and lastly, don't overfeed!! Good Luck!! You can see my tank on youtube at: https://www.youtube.com/edit?o=U&video_id=xkMxDFQmg5c Enjoy the video!! Bobbi
      You will need to post a link to the video and not the editor tab for the video as it sends all of us to our personal editor pages.

I recommend you really upgrade your filtration. A canister such as a Rena XP4 or Fluval would save you a lot of chemicals and water. I run a pair of XP4 on my bare 75g and I haven't had detectable ammonia in years.

Diamond Lifetime Member #95!
      Just because its not a Great Koi doesn't mean its not a Great Koi...Me circa 2013

kevin32 is online now Senior Member
      is chillin

Feeling:
      Friendly

External filters like jim mentioned. I see people using the aquaclear and put brand new filter pad in. Doesn't make sense to me. I just use a small hang over filter with a piece of Japanese mat and some k1 and works pretty well for my small fish count in 55 gallon tank

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12