• Sneaky
  • Tired

Thread: UV Connection

hp is online now Supporting Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

UV Connection

It seems one of the common problem for the UV is water leaks in and burns the bulb, including me . Do you think connecting the UV on a gravity return line is better than on the pressure line after the pump? (I guess depending on the total head, if the pump push the water to a tall shower for example, the pressure in the line is higher than the line where the pump pushes the water to a low moving bed filter). My logic is that less pressure in the UV line then less chance that water will leak in... I wonder if anyone has any experience (less/more problem) when changing from one set up to another?

hp.

Wmurky is offline Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by hp View Post
      It seems one of the common problem for the UV is water leaks in and burns the bulb, including me . Do you think connecting the UV on a gravity return line is better than on the pressure line after the pump? (I guess depending on the total head, if the pump push the water to a tall shower for example, the pressure in the line is higher than the line where the pump pushes the water to a low moving bed filter). My logic is that less pressure in the UV line then less chance that water will leak in... I wonder if anyone has any experience (less/more problem) when changing from one set up to another?

hp.
      I would install it on a low pressure side I have mine on a gravity return from a sand and gravel filter no problems ever. Reduce the pressure, you reduce the force trying to invade the UV.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

icu2 is online now Administrator ~ WWKC Treasurer
      is usually here but if not I'm
      probably off flying

Feeling:
      Piratey

Quote Originally Posted by hp View Post

hp.
      I've never had one leak and I have them both pump fed and gravity fed... but unless you're trying to flow more
      water through the UV there shouldn't be any difference between the two. If you're flow 2000 gph through the UV using
      a pump or using gravity from increase in head, I think the pressure is the same.
      --Steve
      Find more about Weather in Poulsbo, WA

"It is far better to be alone, than to be in bad company." --George Washington