• Tired
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Controlling ammonia in bare bottom tank

Skye is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Controlling ammonia in bare bottom tank

To those of you with bare bottom aquariums . . how do you maintain a healthy bio filter with no gravel in the tank? I put a few lava rocks in the bottom near the bubble wand and removed some shredded pvc from the bio filter in my pond and placed it in a small breeding basket under the return from the over the side power filter, but is there any other tricks of the trade that you bare bottom folks are using to control ammonia?

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

richtoybox is offline Administrator
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      Awesome

I have in use a cannister external filter and two hang on the back filters, one with wheel. When I started up, it took a while to go through the cycle, and I was afraid the hang on back were insufficient to handle the load. Now that the filters have established themselves, I think I could remove the hang on back filters and be fine. I am a believer in providing ample filtration, so I am not going to remove any filters that I have in place. The thing that I most distrust with the hang on back filters is they have media pads that provide much of the filtration, both bio and mechanical. Periodically, those pads need to be replaced, and that portion of the bio is gone, with new media having to come up to speed. When I first started, I also had an algae bloom and a bacterial bloom and some fairly foul smelling water, and to get things under control, put a power head in with a UV filter. I have since taken the UV off and never have anything but clear water.
      Zone 7 A/B
      Keep your words sweet. You never know when you may have to eat them.
      Richard

boggen is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

ditto richard comments.

just a repeat of what he said in different words.
      hang over side bio wheels, and/or external filter setups, is my prefer choice.
      and like him believe extra filteration is always better. "backup"

having and knowing how to use your water test kits. can really help go along ways.
      Pond and Construction Forum 101 good place for any first timers to the forum. for finding resources and general info.

Ryan

cindy is offline Administrator
      is Loving retirement

Feeling:
      Happy

Mt. Wash. KY - 7 miles outside Louisville
      .ditto, richards and boggens comments. 2 hang on filters

gray cat is offline Administrator
      is looking forward to Spring

Feeling:
      Happy

Quote Originally Posted by RichToyBox View Post
      I have in use a cannister external filter and two hang on the back filters, one with wheel. When I started up, it took a while to go through the cycle, and I was afraid the hang on back were insufficient to handle the load. Now that the filters have established themselves, I think I could remove the hang on back filters and be fine. I am a believer in providing ample filtration, so I am not going to remove any filters that I have in place. The thing that I most distrust with the hang on back filters is they have media pads that provide much of the filtration, both bio and mechanical. Periodically, those pads need to be replaced, and that portion of the bio is gone, with new media having to come up to speed. When I first started, I also had an algae bloom and a bacterial bloom and some fairly foul smelling water, and to get things under control, put a power head in with a UV filter. I have since taken the UV off and never have anything but clear water.
      I have two hang on filters that hold two pads each with Bio Wheels. I never replace all of the pads at once. I rotate them overtime.
      Nancy

Koiphen 2013 Koi Person of the Year!

Skye is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Makes sense. Thanks, everyone.

Cowiche Ponder is offline Living my life's dream
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

1 hob filter that was supposed to do 150 gallons on a 75 tank..was not enough. I added a sponge filter and it did wonders for the water quality

rbarn is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Sponge filters with air lift tubes in the center are commonly used. The sponge provides enough surface area.

Currency units are a media of exchange and not a store of wealth

catfish whiskers is offline Supporting Member ~ WWKC President
      is Looking forward to a better
      year

Feeling:
      Friendly

I love Aquaclear hang on back filters

http://www.ebay.com/itm/AquaClear-11...item2eb38ee7a9

They have lots of room for extra bio media
      All the media is reusable, just rinse in tank water and reinstall.
      They run forever, I have 10 running and have never had one fail.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by rbarn View Post
      Sponge filters with air lift tubes in the center are commonly used. The sponge provides enough surface area.

never seen one like that!

fairly interesting.
      Pond and Construction Forum 101 good place for any first timers to the forum. for finding resources and general info.

Ryan

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

Gordon Parr is offline Supporting Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

When I was living in my previous house, I had a 30 tank fish room where I was breeding discus and africans. All of my tanks were BB and I used these sponge filters in every tank -- works like a charm!!!
      Murphy's New Law -
      "If it doesn't fit, force it.
      If it breaks, it was meant to!"

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Yep, all the BB discus guys run these sponge filters. Put 2 in a tank. Clean one at a time so you dont wash too much bactr. out and lots of water changes. Just stick an air tube down the center to create a simple pumpless "airlift" system. Breeders love em cause they use so little power to just run one air pump to handle 50 tanks.
      Last edited by rbarn; 03-05-2012 at 04:30 PM.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

is it a weighted bottom? or a suction cup bottom for the sponge filter air lifts?

Ryan

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Right they are weighted to sit on the bottom.

Watching this guy is like getting a tooth drilled, but covers all the basics, lol

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

uh ya, plz do not post that video again! my ears hurting. i understand tooth drilling. i will take tooth drilling and raise to a mylogram (spelling). were they stick a long needle into spine. and poke a few places to inject fluid.

mshill90 is offline Pennsylvania Bully Breed Rescue
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

If your filter is doing it's job correctly, you shouldn't have an ammonia issue. Gravel is not a necessity.

I go by the rate that your filter should filter your water 10 times an hour- or have the equivalent worth of filters on the tank.

Your bio load (fish) and water changes will be a lot of the factor as well.

I run over 30 tanks... 12 on a sponge filter racking air pump system. I do NOT practice what I preach! I pull out the sponge filter(s), clean them in tap water, and stick them back in. I use the hose to fill my tanks, and I don't dechlor the water 90% of the time. I don't feed everyday... I feed things people don't recommend to feed.. I do water changes more often than is recommended.. I over stock at times too.

But let me tell you... I've never had any issues with my tanks in which I didn't know why the issue was happening.. and since I've corrected that issue; I'm issue free.

If you're having an ammonia issue, your tank is either going through the cycling process, or you're filtration can't keep up with the waste being created.
      Carp Diem... Don't be Koi.

Cowiche Ponder is offline Living my life's dream
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by boggen View Post
      never seen one like that!

fairly interesting.
      Is what I used

Yep, all the BB discus guys run these sponge filters. Put 2 in a tank. Clean one at a time so you dont wash too much bactr. out and lots of water changes. Just stick an air tube down the center to create a simple pumpless "airlift" system. Breeders love em cause they use so little power to just run one air pump to handle 50 tanks.
      I only ever had one..didn't seem to disrupt much of anything for bio

Quote Originally Posted by boggen View Post
      is it a weighted bottom? or a suction cup bottom for the sponge filter air lifts?
      The bottom is weighted, but I siliconed a rock to the bottom of mine as it tended to want to float after I cleaned it. Never moved after that

warrenrrrr is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

A sump to a canister.

wayne1 is offline Supporting Member
      is Old boy

Feeling:
      Cool

I use sponge filters and 0.5ozs per gallon salt uk,and this is fine for fry tanks and easily cleaned every month just wash in a bucket of tank water !,I also use the Ehiem bucket filter and is ideal on large tanks 6ft plus ,it also has a sump tap to waste ,and once matured i only back flush every year !,and a smear of silacone grease on the seals and this keeps them from drying out ,the 2060 is still the best filter as its easily maintained and lasts a lifetime .
      Attached Images Attached Images      

Bobbi K. is offline Junior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Lots of water changes!

Quote Originally Posted by Skye View Post
      To those of you with bare bottom aquariums . . how do you maintain a healthy bio filter with no gravel in the tank? I put a few lava rocks in the bottom near the bubble wand and removed some shredded pvc from the bio filter in my pond and placed it in a small breeding basket under the return from the over the side power filter, but is there any other tricks of the trade that you bare bottom folks are using to control ammonia?
      Hi,
      I know this thread is old, but I thought I would just add my comments too. I have a 75 gallon bare bottom tank with 44 fish (12 are neon tetras). I feed once day and I have two AquaClear 110 Filters and I've recently added some live Anarcharis plants. I always have ammonia issues and this is because I have too many fish and I feed too much!! LOL!! I know it, but it is what it is and my only solution to keep my ammonia down is to do frequent water changes! I have to do them every other day (omg!)... sometimes I can get away with every 72 hrs. instead. When i do my water changes, I use Stress Coat, Prime, Stability, Quick Start and some Aquarium Salt. I have Platys, Mollies and Swordtails besides the Tetras. I love my tank, BUT it's a lot of work to keep it healthy!! The only way to keep your ammonia down in a bare bottom tank is to have great filtration... don't change out your medias all at once and rinse with tank water, don't overstock with fish... it should be your tank size minus 20 percent and that is how many inches of fish you should have, and lastly, don't overfeed!! Good Luck!! You can see my tank on youtube at: https://www.youtube.com/edit?o=U&video_id=xkMxDFQmg5c Enjoy the video!! Bobbi

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast