• Piratey
  • Poorly
  • Sad
  • Secret
  • Shy
  • Sneaky
  • Tired
  • Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567

Thread: New 4,000 gal Koi pond going in.....

rbarn is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Got the 1/4hp pump on the center drain up and running and quickly maxed out what the RDF could handle. The overflow system handled it no problem with the knife valve not even open half way. This set-up could easily support a 15,000+gph RDF before it. returning to the pond through a single 4" line.

Got both 1/4 and 1/3 hp pumps dialed back about 50% each on their outlets and this seems to have the KC 30 running at max capacity through the screen. So thats about 8,000gph.

Interested to see how it looks after 24hrs.
      Currency units are a media of exchange and not a store of wealth

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

koiman1950 is offline Supporting Member
      is semi retired

Feeling:
      Tired

You mention you're controlling flow with knife valves? That's not really a good idea. If the knife valve happens to even slip slightly, it could close off enough flow to cause unnecessary head pressure on your pump and burn up the motor! Now, if the "knife" valves you're referring to are the screw down paddle valves, then those are okay.
      Closing down 50% of the discharge on those pumps is also going to be problematic, down the road, if not sooner. A pump should never be restricted more than 25% MAX. I didn't say that, a pro in the pump repair industry and a manufacturer have both told me the same thing.
      Mike

check out our website at: http://www.pond-life.net

"Our goal is to assist with emergency and Koi health issues, as well as educate on best practices. Please help us gain a clear picture by giving the original poster time to answer our questions before offering opinions and suggested treatments."

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by koiman1950 View Post
      You mention you're controlling flow with knife valves? That's not really a good idea. If the knife valve happens to even slip slightly, it could close off enough flow to cause unnecessary head pressure on your pump and burn up the motor! Now, if the "knife" valves you're referring to are the screw down paddle valves, then those are okay.
      Closing down 50% of the discharge on those pumps is also going to be problematic, down the road, if not sooner. A pump should never be restricted more than 25% MAX. I didn't say that, a pro in the pump repair industry and a manufacturer have both told me the same thing.
      Actually what would happen would be the MB chamber would overflow and it would drain the pond. I've been thinking about this already and will fab up some kind of positive lock I can wedge under the handle to keep it from ever getting bumped closed....... just looked up pricing on 4" PVC screw gate valve ...... $670 !!!!

The pumps are already being opened up as the water is clearing and the filter is not going off literally every 5 seconds anymore. It's down to about once every 60 seconds now and I expect that is still a lot more frequent then normal. Pond is a mess from a full winter of no filter system, but it is clearing slowly but steadily
      Last edited by rbarn; 05-20-2014 at 04:29 PM.

is semi retired

Feeling:
      Tired

As to making something to keep the valve handles from closing, I usually just take a piece of 3/4" or 1" pvc, cut a slot opening down the length, measured to fit from the top of the valve body to under the handle, and slip on. Works great and is easy to remove when you need to close the valve during cleaning/maintenance.

Yes, pricing on valves is getting to be ridiculous! I was at Home Depot yesterday to get some parts and was going to purchase a 3" ABS 22.5 degree street ell. When the cashier rang everything up I was a little surprised at the total and looked at the itemized list in my cart. $9.56 for that one fitting!!! I told her to keep it and take it off the bill. This stuff has gone up by over 30% from last year's prices.
      Mike

"Our goal is to assist with emergency and Koi health issues, as well as educate on best practices. Please help us gain a clear picture by giving the original poster time to answer our questions before offering opinions and suggested treatments."

Jaymeseywaymsey is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

As to making something to keep the valve handles from closing, I usually just take a piece of 3/4" or 1" pvc, cut a slot opening down the length, measured to fit from the top of the valve body to under the handle, and slip on. Works great and is easy to remove when you need to close the valve during cleaning/maintenance.

Yes, pricing on valves is getting to be ridiculous! I was at Home Depot yesterday to get some parts and was going to purchase a 3" ABS 22.5 degree street ell. When the cashier rang everything up I was a little surprised at the total and looked at the itemized list in my cart. $9.56 for that one fitting!!! I told her to keep it and take it off the bill. This stuff has gone up by over 30% from last year's prices.
      When I was buying fittings for my filters, I would go to O.S.H. and price what I needed. Then I would compare the same fittings from Lowes and HD on my cell phone using their apps. Orchard was usually better priced on abs than HD.

sandthemall is offline Supporting Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Yes, the prices and the selection at OSH are better and a lot of the parts are US made.

That said, I'm a fan of eBay and get all my GF Ball valves there. My 4" GF Ball Valve turns so much easier than an equivalently priced Spears brand. It cost me $279 (which is a deal actually...they usuall ballpark for $350-$400)...but it
      also holds 4,000 gallons of water from leaving the pond.

I know this stuff is expensive sometimes...but we all need to make a call. I don't know if I want something cheap being the linchpin when it comes to certain things. Lol...I remember when I was initially pricing out good quality ball valves: I was 'floored' by how expensive they were...absolutely floored...I guess I got over it because I have ball valves on my ball valves...

kby103 is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by rbarn View Post
      The pumps are already being opened up as the water is clearing and the filter is not going off literally every 5 seconds anymore. It's down to about once every 60 seconds now and I expect that is still a lot more frequent then normal. Pond is a mess from a full winter of no filter system, but it is clearing slowly but steadily
      When we started up my Dad's system that water was green and the RDF was cycling just like yours. His unit is gravity flow, and we had to turn off one pump and throttle the second, and we still had to shut off the second pump at times to let the RDF catch up. I was starting to think something might be wrong because the RDF was cycling so much, but after the first couple days, it started settling down- so your system seems to be going through a normal start-up for a green pond. It took about a week to get cycling down to once every ten minutes- you can see the thread here:
      https://www.koiphen.com/forums/showth...ion&highlight=

Jim

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

RDF is chugging along nicely. Going off about every 2mins now. After 4 days I can now see about 2-3' down into the water. Before you could not see 2". I've not turned on the UV or foamer yet, this just all RDF

Fish are up to a good 12" now and seem healthy and active.

is semi retired

Feeling:
      Tired

If your ammonia/nitrite levels are safe, then TURN ON THE DARN UV WOULD YA!lol
      Mike

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

If your ammonia/nitrite levels are safe, then TURN ON THE DARN UV WOULD YA!lol
      Got a little more construction to do first. I'm moving it over next to my RDF and I need to pour a small 3' X 4' concrete pad for it and the phoamer. just been dragging my feet on getting it done ..... I hate working with concrete.

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Finally finished up my filter flush drain system out to the bog garden. Was a bit frustrating getting everything sloped just right to insure proper drainage, but I got there eventually. Everything has it's own drain opening for easy filter maintenance and flushing. 100+ feet of drain with multiple clean-out ports for long term maintenance and clog prevention

Inside aquarium drain for tank flushing and R/O waste water run off

Must be about 100,000 tadpoles in my bog garden. all those little black specs are tadpoles

Last edited by rbarn; 06-13-2014 at 10:26 AM.

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567