• Meh
  • Piratey
  • Poorly
  • Sad
  • Secret
  • Shy
  • Sneaky
  • Tired

Thread: A Good Growth and Colour Food Home Made !

wayne1 is offline Supporting Member
      is Old boy

Feeling:
      Cool

A Good Growth and Colour Food Home Made !

HERE IS MY RECIPE :

500GMS PEARL BARLEY
      200 GRAMS LIQUID HONEY
      2PTS OF ORANGE JUCIE FRESH
      1 CLOVE GARLIC CRUSHED
      1000gms good quality clay powder like refresh .

Soak pearl barley over night in double the amount of water so if you place it in a large pot add twice the liquid cover and leave till morning !.

in the morning bring to the boil on your hob and turn down till a light tick over boil !
      and leave for 45 mins you will need to check on this as the water steams off so you will need to stir with a wooden spoon and add another pint or two in the cooking process !
      then give it another 45 mins add the honey garlic clove and orange boil down to a thick stoggey mess leave till cool !

then add the clay powder till a firm paste roll into balls and place on a tray and freeze
      take out as and when you need to feed !

i feed golf ball size around 1 to 8 large fish once every day skin and colours will come out really well plus a good skin luster and will keep your fish in good health with a good mucus coat to protect it this food can even help regain missing hi from Kohaku and sanke if fed over three months !and is also good for damage to fins and skin so helps for a quick repair ,also feeding this barley will help control blanket weed as the bi product is hydrogen peroxide this toxin will kill algae blooms and is harmless to fish !.
      Ideal to controll algae in ponds and mud ponds without chemicals with a natural product !

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

lukef is offline king of the lilliputians
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

I wouldn't feed something as nutritionally deficient as that to my neighbor's cats (which I despise and would prefer "gone". As they are "outside cats.)
      the honey and garlic make the crap palatable for carp...carp will eat barley, but thay much clay?
      I am a proponent of a little clay in koi food but HALF?
      "Those aren't poodles. They're Dobermans with afros."

jwhit is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Would it be good to add more to this? Things that come to mind that I have around the house: Shreaded nori sheets, freeze dried krill, and coconut oil.

is Old boy

Feeling:
      Cool

well my koi do well on it and the colours do come out better with honey and as koi don't have a stomch they need clay to digest food properly as they assimulate it in the gut tract and as koi don't get much of it in a koi keeper pond for skin and repair of hi it works quite well !.
      but as a point i don't just feed this ,i feed other foods as well as koi need a balanced diet and yes i do add orange segments melon and prawns ,this is a base mix which you can add other things like silkworm pupae crushed and mussels and other foods your koi like .your skin quality will improve just with the mineral content !
      and at only 39p per 500gm bag is a cheap filla food to help keep food costs down ,also barley is ideal for mending skin problems ,but hey just try it it works very well !.

thi nguyen is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

U know what. This what I had try 2 cup hisilk 1 cup wheat flour 1 cup of oak meal n the main ingredient is insure (nutrients milk)..I know bad for the fish but if u want to push fast grow this is the way ( will improve within week) .n koi color is nice ..but becareful u must have a good bio filter

is Old boy

Feeling:
      Cool

Barley is used because of good skin repair and the clay helps the koi assimulate the food better and with the large amount of clay in the food at twice the barley is getting much needed minerals back in the food content and gives a better lustre to the skin and provides a good mucus coat for koi to protect against infection ,fungus and parasites .
      and also this food can be fed all year round and is easy to make ,yes there are other paste types of food but none compare with skin repair or lustre to skin and scales and it will also repair windows in hi and will help against hikui and loss of hi in koi ,without putting them in mud ponds !.

here's some pic's soak the barley overnight ,then boil for 1-2 hours till stoggy and then cool down add the clay ,honey ,and other foods like crushed silkworm and then devide up into balls and then freeze place in sealed bags and then take out as and when required .

its good for koi's health at maintaing good skin quality and a good mucus coat and repair of hi and is good food for sick koi to recooperate a good bio filter and water changes are needed but the other spin off with this food is you can control algae
      and blanket weed as as the food passes through the koi it rots down and releases
      hydrogen peroxide to kill weed and algae and is harmless to fish and all aquatic life ,
      so is a good eco way to control algae without chemicals .
      keeps in the fridge for two weeks ,so i feed this every day as a extra bulk feed to get fish bigger quickly and it works well fish up to 4-5''inches in 10 weeks in a glass tank !

also as a koi breeder these koi mature fast and can breed at 1 year old this is all due to the clay content and I just feed clay and barley no other added ingredients in winter months and i don't heat the water and tempratures go down to -0.0 and still feed on this with no problems due all down to the clay !
      Attached Images Attached Images          
      Last edited by wayne1; 09-03-2011 at 04:57 AM.

dalozt is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

is there any alternative of pearl barley and the clay powder? as it is hard to find those in indonesia.. could we use rice? LOL

dalozt is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Wombat is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

G'day all,
      Here is my take on home made food. It's great stuff,you know what is in it, generally it is economical and you can add as many extra suppliments as you want. My fish love the stuff that I make and I use it to hand feed them. It's a lot of fun and you get a good look at your fish. I use a mincer and food blender to break down the bulky raw materials then add everything else by hand. Ingrediants I use include prawn heads and prawns, pilchards, fish frames, squid,(these thing's I usually catch my self as I do a lot of fishing). Wheet germ, oat bran,semalina pumpkin and sweet potato are added and following Wayne's advice I now add Barley and clay. I freeze this in sheets about 1cm thick as it stack's nicely in the freezer this way and it break's up easily for feeding. I give them fresh oranges, mango's water mellon and wombok most of which I grow.
      Cheers

Appliance Guy is offline Senior Member
      is Just chillin with koi...

Feeling:
      Friendly

So I decided to try this. Followed the recipe and it turned out just as posted. I was quite happy. The fish took to it instantly (and they're finicky!), perhaps they like the honey? I fed for a few days using my smaller portioned test batch, and I discovered that I don't have the time to feed like they need. I could only provide feedings a couple or few times a day, and while the wifey was kind for the first few feedings, I could see this wouldn't work out even for short term use. So back to pellets and auto feeder.

But the recipe worked as you described and I learned in the process. Thanks!
      Tim can always be reached at 850-380-7824 or timnye850@gmail.com

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007