• Meh
  • Piratey
  • Poorly
  • Sad
  • Secret
  • Shy
  • Sneaky
  • Tired

Thread: Two large ponds w/o proper filtration (need help) 25,000 gallon & 18,000 gallon

ispeedyi is offline Junior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Two large ponds w/o proper filtration (need help) 25,000 gallon & 18,000 gallon

Hi All,

I am assigned to help with two newly constructed ponds. I am not an expert but previously had a 10,000 gallon pound in the past when i lived in California(designed by experts). Since the owner with the two ponds did not give filtration a thought, he asked for my advice knowing i know slightly more than he does.

Pond 1: 25,000 gallons, 3 sets of waterfalls needed, has a bottom drain 200mm, circulating pipe work, and a separate location for a skimmer i suppose. The drain is connected to the deep skimmer chamber.

Pond 2: 18,000 gallons, Large Waterfall, multi-level. Has circulating pipework, not sure if a bottom drain is in place. Also has a separate chamber for pumps/filters

Scenario: These ponds are at the same backyard in Shanghai, China. The shape was decided by the owner, the rest was left to the landscaping people. I have spoke with the designer and he wants to use sand filtration similar to pool designs. I am a bit uncomfortable with this design, please give your inputs.

Designer wants to put in: (pond 1)
      3 900 watt pump
      1 280 watt
      2 sand filters
      5 uv lights

pond 2:
      2 900watt pump
      1 3000 watt pump to power waterfall
      1 sand filter
      3 uv lights

Using his design it seems the electricity bill will be extremely high and the results may not be so great.

I have done some research and it seems the new bead type filters are not available here. The pressure filters for small to medium ponds are available but probably not practical in these large ponds. Gravity filters (non-pressure) is available but will require separate pumps for waterfalls). Another option is a custom built DIY filtration chamber (but I am not an expert on this and have not done one before).

I have also consulted with pond experts here. They suggest building/digging filtration chambers (custom built) using their filters/design. This is with a 750 watt pump for drainage, 3 sets of power conserving 300 watt pump for filters and waterfalls. This all sounds good but the price is a bit high at approximately $8000 USD for 1 system (two ponds is 16k!)

If any has suggestions as to

1. Go with Pool system
      2. Go with gravity filtration (cheaper) and separate waterfull pumps (not always on)
      3. Go with the expensive expert solution

look forward to your inputs!

First 4 pictures are of pond 1 (larger pond, 25k gallons)
      Last 4 pictures are of pond 2 (large waterfall, 18k gallons)

Thanks

John
      Attached Images Attached Images        

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

C C is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

No expert here but I would think 1bottom drain on a 25k or 18k pond is not enough. I guess I would also have to know what does the owner want from the pond??? Koi goldfish ot just a water feature? Gravity fed is way to go IMHO. With external pumps feeding waterfalls. Seems birdmans DIY filters would be a good choice and he has the kits on his website to help you build them. Good luck I've found you will get a lot of help on here, welcome to the site.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

The larger pond will be for koi. The smaller pond will inhabit freshwater fish, or shrimp. The primary goal is a water feature, but will also house Koi fish (super clear water is not necessary and pretty much impossible at this stage). However, the water will hopefully be clear enough to see the fish.

jrlaubin is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

google rotary drum filters kc30, these are made in Malaysia..they are mechanical only..by taking the mechanical out first maybe sand filters would not clog so fast..I have also seen sand filters 1/2 filled with plastic pellets used for injection molding..good luck

BAVOTOI is offline Supporting Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

welcome to koiphen
      1) how much $-$$$$$ you want spend???
      2) can you link 2 pond together?
      3) you want DIY or PRO??

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Hi guys. Any more suggestions? I was thinking sand filters and some sort of bio filtration.

bdel01 is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Since CC mentioned Birdman, his website is www.highdesertkoi.com

Since it looks like the first chamber is already being gravity fed than behind that at the same level i would dig another box like he already has there and place the Cetus Sieve in there, which will continue to be gravity fed. The sieve self cleans all the time. From the sieve you can then externally pump it to a Nexus Filter or a Bead Filter. I have a bead i wish i could do a nexus.

From there you can send the water to another filter unit than UltraViolet light than to the waterfall or have the water go to a UV light than to the waterfall .

But i would toss the idea of a sand filter being first it's going to get clogged way to often and easily and will drive your friend nuts. Beads are the way to go. Look at the SacKoi bead filter and SacKoi glass filter.

He could also do a series of gravity flowing Japanese settlement chambers from that 1st box around the yard than pumped to a waterfall

BAVOTOI is offline Supporting Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

ispeedyi
      I see pic #3,5,6,7. IF it's behind waterfall you can convert to matala filter media then moving bed media + uv's light to TPR's and waterfall. Or you can add shower media filter beforce moving media fiilter. OR you can go to Youtube searth for JAPkoipondfilter with video.
      Last edited by BAVOTOI; 07-30-2011 at 12:17 PM.

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007