• Tired
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Caladiums in Pond

I'm So Koi is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Your welcome, Neli. Here are the next guinea pigs:

In a tray of shallow water; getting deeper every day. More caladiums, impatiens, and ginger. Just love that ginger -- almost looks like the beehive form! All from Home Depot, and they have the Siam Tulip Ginger in a lovely lavendar-pink as well.

Zantedeschia (calla lily) Picasso. My Home Depot has an amazing selection of callas with blooms in a variety of brushstroke colors that appear to have been hand-painted by an artist. You can't tell from the photo, but the water is up to soil level on this plant, so it's ready to get plunked into the pond.

Musa Siam Ruby. I tried to water adapt this banana last summer with no luck, so I'm trying again more slowly this year. I got this at Thompson Building Materials; they also have a wonderful selection of not-so-common plants. This banana has been in about an inch of water for a little over three weeks.

Since this thread is about caladiums, I'll start a separate thread for adapting plants to water so we can discuss all the different plants we've tried and the methods we've used.

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

Neli is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

That I will enjoy a lot, to hear also from other members what plants they managed to put in water, will be wonderful.
      The caladiums U bought look as if they are many in a pot. U can split them easily.
      I have high PH in my pond and some one told me to put a banana trunk, in the pond. I just dug out a banana but did not cut it. Just dumped it barerooted in the pond and it looks OK for a month now.
      Click for Lusaka, Zambia Forecast

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Neli, I have the incredibly beautiful banana Siam Ruby, and adapting it to water is a must. So far no luck, but I'm determined to keep trying 'till I find a way.

Poor tortured banana:

gray cat is offline Administrator
      is looking forward to Spring

Feeling:
      Happy

How are the caladiums doing?
      Nancy

Koiphen 2013 Koi Person of the Year!

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Gray Cat:

Here they are after three weeks in the burning sun (101F high the day of this photo). I just moved them to a slightly shadier spot, and added impatiens as you suggested. The impatiens were buried in a pile of plants being water adapted, and were not blooming when I planted them last night, so we'll see what happens.

Feeling:
      Happy

I'm So Koi the caladiums look great. I will try them next year in my pond. I hope the Impatiens will do well for you too.
      Nancy

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Nancy, your impatiens look very pretty. Do you just transfer them from soil and shade to water and sun straight-away, with no adaptation?

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by gray cat View Post
      I'm So Koi the caladiums look great. I will try them next year in my pond. I hope the Impatiens will do well for you too.
      Gray Cat, if they do well and start blooming, I'll add a picture to your impatiens tutorial thread. In the meantime, I'm going to pick up another one from Home Depot and plant it directly (with no adaptation) and bare root (no kitty litter/laterite stocking) into the pond side of my aquatic caladium/ginger arrangement. These plants look way better from the pond side than from the side I photographed, and I think a little impatiens fringe down low will be very pretty. Thanks again for the suggestion and for the very informative tutorial.

Feeling:
      Happy

Quote Originally Posted by I'm So Koi View Post
      Nancy, your impatiens look very pretty. Do you just transfer them from soil and shade to water and sun straight-away, with no adaptation?
      No adaptation. Just like in my Impatiens tutorial thread. That why they are so easy to do.
      Nancy

sworley is offline Senior Member
      is Still loving my pond!

Feeling:
      Annoyed

I love your caladiums! They look great! I have planted impatiens in my stream according to Nancy's technique and they are amazing - they got huge - over a foot tall and almost 3' in diameter.

"A government big enough to give you everything you want is also strong enough to take away everything you have." -- Thomas Jefferson

Be who you are and say what you feel... because those that matter... don't mind...and those that mind...don't matter!
      Maxine

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Sworley, your impatiens are amazing. How long did it take for them to grow so huge, and do they make it through your winters? I've never grown them before, but I've been told ours do, sometimes.

I've planted two tiny starts at the base of my caladium/ginger aquatic arrangement. I used Nancy's technique, which I love for it's simplicity -- took about two minutes to do. The caladiums and Siam Tulip ginger are planted by my kitty litter/laterite stocking method. I'll post a picture of the arrangement, along with adaptation and planting information on the "Water Torture" thread later today.
      Last edited by I'm So Koi; 08-19-2011 at 05:38 PM.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

I'm so Koi,
      I have seen U are landscaper and interior designer.U must know that even if people dont answer your thread they read it and benefit from it.So please keep posting. We need your experience.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Neli:

I'm an interior designer, but have no training in landscape or garden design. I was studying to become a physician, and had an accident that put me out of medical school my third year. When I was well enough I started gardening as a way to cope with my grief, and am truly an amateur just learning. Along with my young helper Alma, I created the Humpty Dumpty House Gardens, as well as several gardens for doctors in my general area. I found the transition from interior to garden design gratifying, but don't consider myself a professional in the field. I do enjoy sharing information on this forum, and love seeing what others have done. Am completely amazed by your gardens and pond, as well as so many of the other pond builds here, and hope to learn from all of you.

sworley is offline Senior Member
      is Still loving my pond!

Feeling:
      Annoyed

Thanks - I used Nancy's technique for planting my impatiens back in April. I think they had reached their maximum size within about 2 months. I was surprised they grew so large so quickly. They now cover the stream where they're planted. I have a few other plants in the stream, too, but they're not doing as well as the impatiens.
      By the way, I tried a New Guinea Impatiens in a floating planted - it has soil but is sort of a slurry of soil and water. It has grown almost 6 inches since I put it in the planter 2 weeks ago. I'm planning to dig up some others I have that aren't doing well in the ground and put them in the planter. I'll post pictures when they take off and start blooming.

"A government big enough to give you everything you want is also strong enough to take away everything you have." -- Thomas Jefferson

Be who you are and say what you feel... because those that matter... don't mind...and those that mind...don't matter!
      Maxine

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Can U post pictures and explain how U did a floating with slurry in it. What did U use? I want to learn.

froglover is offline Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Janni, you have convinced me to try growing caladiums in the pond. I am only starting with one to see how it goes. I purchased a white caladium from walmart a week ago, took it out of the nursery pot and put in a whole-less pot with water until today. Today I washed all the potting soil off the roots and planted it in a 6" x 6" fabric plant pot with gravel. I am not sure if I am going to put in the pond or keep it in the whiskey barrel filter I am in the process of making. For right now, that is where I am going to keep it so I can keep an eye on it. Thanks for the inspiration.
      Attached Images Attached Images   

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Carolyn, to have my gardening mentor try out my silly caladium experiment is an honor. I can't wait to hear how yours do. Caladiums will be a nice addition to the "Garden of Eden" you've created at your home. Please keep us updated with photos.

Feeling:
      Happy

I do plan on trying the Caladiums in my pond next spring. I think they will look great with the Impatiens.
      Nancy

Goki56 is offline Administrator ~ WWKC BOD ~ WWKC Secretary ~ 2020 KPOTY
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      Friendly

Quote Originally Posted by gray cat View Post
      I do plan on trying the Caladiums in my pond next spring. I think they will look great with the Impatiens.

Nancy I was thinking the same thing.
      Gordana

Koiphen 2020 Koi Person of the Year!

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Nancy and Gordana:

I agree with you both; caladiums and impatiens are very pretty paired up. I followed your suggestion, Nancy, and have impatiens now blooming at the base of my caladium/ginger arrangement. There were no blooms when I planted the impatiens, so they must be happy in their aquatic home. My only concern is that if they flourish and grow as big as yours and Sworley's, they'll overwhelm the floral arrangement. I'll try to post a pic later today.

Oh and I have to ask, what is "da bell"???
      Last edited by I'm So Koi; 08-25-2011 at 02:01 PM.

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast