Thread: Caladiums in Pond

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
      I'm So Koi is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Caladiums in Pond

Over the past weeks I started adapting some caladiums to water, and a few days ago, planted them in the pond:

I got three Miss Muffets from Easy to Grow Bulbs, and three from Home Depot, and an anxious to see how they like aquatic life.

Has anyone tried this???

gray cat is offline Administrator
      is looking forward to Spring

Feeling:
      Happy

I have never tried caladiums in my pond. I have too much sun for their thin leaves. Keep us informed.
      Nancy

Koiphen 2013 Koi Person of the Year!

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by gray cat View Post
      I have never tried caladiums in my pond. I have too much sun for their thin leaves. Keep us informed.
      I unfortunately have my pond-planted caladiums where they're in full sun most of the day (and I'm in a very hot zone), so if they bite the dust, I won't be sure whether they drowned, burned to death, rotted, or exactly what. So far they're looking really good. I'll try to find a shady spot for the next batch and report results for both.

Feeling:
      Happy

Quote Originally Posted by I'm So Koi View Post
      I unfortunately have my pond-planted caladiums where they're in full sun most of the day (and I'm in a very hot zone), so if they bite the dust, I won't be sure whether they drowned, burned to death, rotted, or exactly what. So far they're looking really good. I'll try to find a shady spot for the next batch and report results for both.
      I have Impatiens in my pond and they will wilt down when the temps are in 90's, but perk right up once out of the sun. Maybe the caladiums will do the same.
      Nancy

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

I have Impatiens in my pond and they will wilt down when the temps are in 90's, but perk right up once out of the sun. Maybe the caladiums will do the same.
      Gray Cat, it's been in the mid to high nineties here over the past two days, and the caladiums show no signs of wilting or burning. I have other shade plants (terrestrial) that look visibly burned after a very short time in partial sun. Tomorrow's high is supposed to be 97F, so I'll let everyone know how they fare after another hot day of full sun exposure. I went to Home Depot and picked up three more of these lovely plants, so I have plenty to experiment with.

Joey S is offline Supporting Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

I have some that came up from last year that I could experiment with. They usually only last one season here although I had a neighbor that dug his up every year and dried them in sawdust and replanted for the next year.
      For the love of Koi
      Don't Sweat the Small Stuff

Lifetime Charter Diamond Member #4 WWKC

JOIN THE WorldWide Koi Club NOW

Certified Koi Keeper (CKK)

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by Joey S View Post
      I have some that came up from last year that I could experiment with.
      Joey, please let us know how yours do.

fernlady1559 is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

My problem is same as Nancy's, they would just turn brown and die here. Heck, I have problems even growing
      petunias or geraniums. Just too hot, or sun beats down too badly. Good luck with yours. They will look good in
      a pond.

Marie

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by fernlady1559 View Post
      My problem is same as Nancy's, they would just turn brown and die here. Heck, I have problems even growing
      petunias or geraniums. Just too hot, or sun beats down too badly. Good luck with yours. They will look good in
      a pond.

Marie
      Marie, my area is very hot and dry, with frequent three-digit temps during summer. Even full-sun plants often need to be kept in shade. And shade-loving plants -- forget it -- just too much of a struggle. I'm surprised these caladiums are holding up so beautifully, and keep expecting the next time I see them they'll be crispy critters.

I've never been a big fan of caladiums, since they typically look ripped-up or burned in my area. But I love the elephant ear form, and the color combinations at Home Depot were too irresistible not to at least give it a try. If it works it'll add a wonderful splash of color to the ponds, and give visitors something they don't normally see.

Neli is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Lets hope they will grow, for they look nice. How do U adapt them to water?
      Click for Lusaka, Zambia Forecast

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by Neli View Post
      Lets hope they will grow, for they look nice. How do U adapt them to water?
      Neli:

I'm embarrassed to say I know almost nothing about plant physiology, despite that my undergraduate major was biochemistry. I guess what I'm saying is there is absolutely no science in what I'm about to describe. I'm fairly new to ponding, and want more diverse plant choices than the typical advertised aquatic plants. So if a terrestrial plant I like seems like a good candidate, I do the following:

• Leave it potted in soil, but start watering it more heavily and frequently.
      • After a few days of heavy watering, I place the plant, pot and all, into a tub with about one inch of water.
      • Every other day I raise the water level in the tub approximately one inch.
      • If the plant starts looking bad, I slow the process down. If it looks good, I keep going.
      • When the water level in the tub is at about the same level as the soil in the pot, I maintain that water level for about a week. Sometimes I add a little B1 to the water.
      • If the plant looks good after a week or two, I wash all the soil off the roots, and either plant it directly in the pond, or plant it in a basket or stocking with kitty litter and laterite.
      Last edited by I'm So Koi; 07-20-2011 at 06:35 AM.

Feeling:
      Happy

Neli:

I'm embarrassed to say I know almost nothing about plant physiology, despite that my undergraduate major was biochemistry. I guess what I'm saying is there is absolutely no science in what I'm about to describe. I'm fairly new to ponding, and want more diverse plant choices than the typical advertised aquatic plants. So if a terrestrial plant I like seems like a good candidate, I do the following:

• Leave it potted in soil, but start watering it more heavily and frequently.
      • After a few days of heavy watering, I place the plant, pot and all, into a tub with about one inch of water.
      • Every other day I raise the water level in the tub approximately one inch.
      • If the plant starts looking bad, I slow the process down. If it looks good, I keep going.
      • When the water level in the tub is at about the same level as the soil in the pot, I maintain that water level for about a week. Sometimes I add a little B1 to the water.
      • If the plant looks good after a week or two, I wash all the soil off the roots, and either plant it directly in the pond, or plant it in a basket or stocking with kitty litter and laterite.
      This is how I plant the impatiens bare root:
      https://www.koiphen.com/forums/showth...p-stream-today.
      Nancy

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

This is how I plant the impatiens bare root:
      https://www.koiphen.com/forums/showth...p-stream-today.
      Great step-by-step, Gray Cat! The impatiens look beautiful in your photos. At what temps do they get wilty? I haven't noticed any wiltiness at all in the caladiums yet, but admit that I'm amazed they're holding up so well, especially since I never hardened them off before putting them in the scorching sun. Great for the sake of gathering new information, but for those hoping for most probable success, I recommend slowly adapting the caladiums to sun at the same time you're adapting them to root immersion in water. Also, some caladiums are more sun tolerant than others, and my Home Depot seems to carry a nice variety of both.

Feeling:
      Happy

Great step-by-step, Gray Cat! The impatiens look beautiful in your photos. At what temps do they get wilty? I haven't noticed any wiltiness at all in the caladiums yet, but admit that I'm amazed they're holding up so well, especially since I never hardened them off before putting them in the scorching sun. Great for the sake of gathering new information, but for those hoping for most probable success, I recommend slowly adapting the caladiums to sun at the same time you're adapting them to root immersion in water. Also, some caladiums are more sun tolerant than others, and my Home Depot seems to carry a nice variety of both.
      Thank you. We will get to 100 several times a summer. I notice that when the temps are in the hugh 90's the plants will get droopy. Once the sun goes off of them, they will perk back up. I have been growing Impatiens this way for at least 8 or 9 years.

I hope your caladiums do well. If they do, next year I may plant them in my pond with Impatiens around them. Wouldn't that be pretty? Keep us inforned please.
      Nancy

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Can U post a picture of stocking with kitty litter? Thanks, will start experimenting too and let U know how I am doing.
      It makes sense what U are doing just wonder if it not better to plant it in coarse river sand before doing that so there is no danger of the plant rotting, and maybe add some fish fungicide inside. Just a thought?
      And do U put inside the laterite like anoxic basket or ....?????

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Can U post a picture of stocking with kitty litter? Thanks, will start experimenting too and let U know how I am doing.
      It makes sense what U are doing just wonder if it not better to plant it in coarse river sand before doing that so there is no danger of the plant rotting, and maybe add some fish fungicide inside. Just a thought?
      And do U put inside the laterite like anoxic basket or ....?????
      Neli, I'll post a photo of the stocking as soon as I make the next one, probably within the next few days. The sand sounds like a good idea -- has anyone tried this with other nonstandard aquatic plantings? I'm not keen on medicating the pond prophylactically; we don't like to do this in human medicine, so I tend to use the same principles with my animals unless I learn otherwise (and I know there are tons of differences between human and veterinary medicine, so I welcome correction if this is faulty thinking). I do think treating plants with potassium permanganate before placing them in the pond is a good idea. When I plant in baskets, they're set up exactly like the anoxic ones as per Dr. Novak's instructions. Planting in a stocking is trickier, and tends to end up as a mixture of kitty litter (I use the nonclumping) and laterite surrounding the plant's roots.

There are hopefully some horticulture experts or biologists out there shaking their heads and rolling their eyes who I hope will chime in -- I'd love to know how all this really works. In the meantime, I'm so glad you're trying this along with me, Neli, since I'm a big believer in hands-on experimentation rather than just accepting things that are assumed to be true.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Neli:

Sorry to take so long -- nutty week! Okay, after adapting a plant to water for a period of time, here's what I do:

Arsenic and old lace? No, it's actually pantyhose and Aquarium Pharmaceuticals First Layer Pure Laterite. Can be purchased at pet stores that carry aquarium supplies.

Kitty litter from Wallmart. Same kind that's recommended in Dr. Novak's anoxic filtration.

Plain ground nonclumping clay with no additives.

Stretch stocking as much as you can without ripping it. Add kitty litter and spread it out like a nice fat pancake.

Add a handful of laterite.

My caladium from Home Depot. HD has lots of varieties, but one with some sun tolerance (yeah, right--not in my climate) might be best.

De-pot.

Wash roots as well as you can without overly traumatizing them.

Insert roots into stocking, smack on top of the laterite. Add a bit more laterite, then top with kitty litter so roots are covered.

Ready to take a dive into the pond. The kitty litter/laterite stocking anchors the plant down, and can be used to adjust the plant so it's "sitting pretty". I do not use rocks, pebbles, or any other substrate, since I find them to become stinky over time, and thus, probably anaerobic.

Planted in water, and after a full day in the hot sun, looking like they're loving it! The new plant was plunked down next to the caladium I planted in the pond last Sunday night. So this photo shows the newly planted caladium at the end of its first day, and the original one after seven days in the pond, full sun from approximately 10am 'till sunset, temps mid to high nineties.

Would love to see this replicated (or not) by anyone else wanting to mess around with caladiums. Please share results, and I will also continue to do so.
      Last edited by I'm So Koi; 07-25-2011 at 02:05 AM.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

I meant to put fungal medicine in the pot only when adapting them, since there is more chance of them rotting during the adaptation process. And since they will be washed, no medication will go in the pond. It might help with prevention of all kind of parasites too.
      Here are my caladiums:
      https://www.koiphen.com/forums/showth...-plants./page5

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Wow -- what a wonderful thread! I can't wait to revisit and take a closer look. Thanks for posting the link, Neli!

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

I love your post. It is so informative and useful. Thanks a million!
      Maybe one of the admins can put it as a separate topic: Planting Plants in stocking the anoxic way, so it is there for future references?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast